Buffalo Springfield debut released 50 years ago today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JoeRockhead, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Not such a fan of this album. Again is the one for me. Absolutely love the band though. Flying On The Ground is prob my favourite on the debut.
    Neil was apparently given some live tapes by a fan around the time of the box set. Were any details made known about these shows other than it was decided they weren't of good enough quality (not sure if that was audio or performance-wise).
    I live in hope that some cool Buffalo Springfield shows exist somewhere outside of bootleg land. I'm assuming Wolfgangs Vault have nothing. They are not very forthcoming in terms of enquiries.

fr in sc, DTK and Damiano54 like this.
  2. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

The long 'Bluebird' isnt likely to see a re-release, as its original release was never authorized/supported by the band in the first place (probably primarily Stills, as he hates it - and I would assume it was he who veto'd its inclusion in the BS Box - as well as excluding it from his own solo box)

Maybe after they're all dead I suppose - assuming all of their estates/families/heirs don't care much about what their wishes/intentions/quality control decisions were when they were still alive.

fr in sc likes this.
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I didn't know that.

4. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Prefer this to their second ... the only release where they sound like a proper band to me, Stills was the boss...Ritchie did a great job singing Neil's songs..

Hamhead and sixelsix like this.
  5. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Half a century! A lot of great music emanated from that band over all these years.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

My god hasn't time
    expecting to fly
    bye

7. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Fortunately they made up for that abysmal cover with the second album

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Which, for some strange reason, has remained out of print for 49 years and 9 months. And it's one of the best sounding mixes on the album.

That's apparently what Stills and Young feel as well, but I disagree. For the most part, the mono and stereo mixes sound pretty similar, other than the stereo separation or lack thereof. Most of the problems were in the recording, not the mix.

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I like the album but Buffalo Springfield Again is an incredible album.

10. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

I know that there are other alternate takes/mixes in circulation plus some unreleased demos. So, considering the expiring of the copyrights on unreleased recordings in EU, deluxe editions of the BS albums should have been fine.

fr in sc likes this.
  11. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

ONE OF THE BEST AMERICAN BANDS, PERIOD.

Gone far too soon. Our loss. and YES, I'd gladly trade
    that first CSN and early Neil for more Buffalo.

MORE BARN ... The Buffalo is kicking the doors down again!

Buda, Matthew Tate and fr in sc like this.
  12. Anyone know the back story on the 'Richie singing Neil' thing (not that his beautiful purity of tone works at all to their detriment in any case)? Shyness on Neil's part about his voice at the time, perhaps? Don't imagine this would have happened without his acquiescence.

13. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I need to spin this album today. I do have it, but admittedly I've been so enamored with "Again" that I haven't given the debut enough attention!

14. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I remember reading that the original album didn't do much in sales and I know the "back-story" of how it became a bigger seller, so with the help of Wikipedia:
    Original release, Atco (SD) 33-200: 05/12/1966
    Re-issue release, Atco (SD) 33-200A: 06/03/1967, with "For What It's Worth" included (released as a single 09/01/1967) and "Baby Don't Scold Me" deleted.
    Time to drag out the box set Buffalo Springfield...again.
    See what I did there?

Stone Turntable and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

as i've stated before, the amount of music that came out of buffalo springfield is unparalleled in the history of rock music (as far as i know):

buffalo springfield
    CSN
    CSNY
    stills-young band
    stills solo
    young solo
    loggins & messina
    poco
    messina solo
    souther-hillman-furay band
    furay solo

and then, if you really wanted to, all the offshoots from the above....simply remarkable.

16. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Probably the best of their 3 albums. I have that mono and stereo cd release from a few years back. Don't know if there is much other usable material but no 50th anniversary so far or if there is I missed it.

drasil likes this.
  17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i don't know about that one, 'again' is a masterpiece, a gem. a near perfect album :)

18. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

IIRC Paul Williams was on top of their greatness from the beginning. But reviewing their S/T wrote honestly about its compromised production i.e. "the guitars tinkle when they want to ring...". Still I can hear past that to the great songs and singing, the sheer musicality of the band. Richie sang Neil's songs better than the author could have at that point. IDK how Neil felt about that but I hope he was a bit grateful.

19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

My least favorite Springfield album, which is almost completely down to the production technique. Distorted mess - OK. Tinny football stadium sound - NOK. Most of the songs are really good. And Bruce Palmer is on all of it, but you can't hear him.

fr in sc likes this.
  20. joeconn4

joeconn4 Forum Resident

Thoughts on this one... I don't own any BS albums. But when I was a kid I used to borrow this one from the local library's book mobile that came around our neighborhood once a week. We moved out when I was 12, so I'm guessing I was probably about 8-11 when I was picking this one up, along with "4 Way Street" and a few of Young's early solo albums. I was pretty amazed by it back then. Have listened to it a few times on youtube over the years, still like all their albums someday I'll probably pick them up or the box set.

21. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Buda likes this.
  22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That's a pretty abysmal needledrop, but a certain stoned professor has thankfully done one that will likely be best until a transfer from tape is released. Still, however, not commercially available.

23. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Remind me why Burned was never true stereo?

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Good question.

25. Frawls

Frawls Forum Resident

My least favorite Springfield album but I do LOVE the alternate acoustic takes of many of it's tunes on the boxed set.

Out Of My Mind
    Baby, Don't Scold Me
    We'll See
    Neighbor, Don't You Worry

Again and Last Time Around (as patchwork as it is) are both vastly superior for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.