Buffalo Springfield "LAST TIME AROUND," one of my favorite albums, but it isn't even them, is it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

When I was a kid they played "On The Way Home," "Four Days Gone" and "Uno Mundo" on the radio here so I bought the album. I loved it even though I was sad that it was their last album.

(Remember that I saw the band on the ICE Rink at Topanga Plaza for a teen magazine photo shoot once so I felt a slight personal connection to the band.)

At any rate, isn't "On The Way Home" the ONLY song that is the entire group? Aren't the other songs just "solo" stuff? That's Buddy Miles on "Special Care" and Stephen plays everything else on that song, right?

Does anyone have a complete and accurate list of who plays on what song? I would love to read it.

Of all the "contractual obligation" albums ever issued, LAST TIME AROUND and Linda's HEART LIKE A WHEEL are my two absolute favorites.

2. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

They share singing duties with each other on several numbers, and there's at least one song co-written by Furay and Young ("It's So Hard To Wait"). It's fragmented in terms of the band going off and recording without the others, and bringing in outsiders, but then so is The Beatles (White Album).

I agree, it somehow manages to be a wonderful listen in its own right. Heard it for the first time just a few years ago after long writing it off for some reason, and was slightly blown away by it. Found a pretty nice ATCO triple gatefold 1968 vinyl reissue.

3. Bill

Bill Senior Member

ARK, mds, phillyal1 and 6 others like this.
  4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yes bruce palmer is only on "on the way home'. dewey plays on 5 songs as far as I know. buddy miles and jimmy karstein play drums on the other songs with drums. yes stills and miles only on "special care". neil young is only on 5 songs I think

905, Crimson Witch and Aftermath like this.
  5. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Sure it's them. Same thing (to a slightly lesser extent) on the second album and no one questions that.

6. Chrome_Head

I'm not sure I could disagree more. Stills' songs were great on this album save for "Uno Mundo" which was kind of a throwaway.

"I Am A Child" is a great Young song, but "On The Way Home" isn't one I even remember or associate with Young. I'd say Stills outmatched Young on this one.

Ewan7, Uuan, Aftermath and 2 others like this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Wikipedia, everyone's first choice for accurate information, not.

8. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Probably because it's a much stronger album overall.

9. Matthew Tate

weird I consider "on the way home" a top young tune

ARK, Roland Stoves, supermd and 34 others like this.
  10. Matthew Tate

I'm not at home but does the early 00's boxset list the personnel for the songs individually?

11. Tony LeMesmer

Tony LeMesmer Forum Resident

Massey Hall is my go to version for this tune.

12. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

"Though his face and name are both omitted from the sleeve, Bruce appears on several tracks, including On the Way Home, It’s So Hard To Wait, Pretty Girl Why, Uno Mundo, Merry-Go-Round, and Questions. . . . According to Richie, 'Neil delivered a completed tape of I Am A Child to us. That was it. He didn’t contribute much to that album other than On The Way Home'". (Einarson, John. For What It's Worth: The Story of Buffalo Springfield)

Ewan7, vonwegen and JoeRockhead like this.
  13. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

There's personnel info for most of the tracks in the booklet of The Buffalo Springfield Box Set. I could dig mine out and scan it if nobody has it handy. IIRC it's different from what's in Wikipedia.

14. Matthew Tate

thank you. i'll look when I get home

15. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

The Boxset doesn’t have LTA in its entirety, a couple tracks missing and a couple of alternate takes.

16. Chrome_Head

It’s okay—not as good as anything on his first solo album to me, which came not long after this and where Neil clearly took all his top tunes at this time.

lemonade kid likes this.
  17. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Chrome_Head likes this.
  18. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

OK. I scanned the relevant pages but I don't know how to attach the jpegs to a message in this forum. I guess I could OCR them but I can see that being an exercise in frustration -- multi-columns, deliberately aged-looking paper with fake creases, etc.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

I like Uno Mundo. It has that Latin vibe that Stills is good at, plus nice guitar work as well.

Ewan7, bill44, supermd and 13 others like this.
  20. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

This list appears closer to the truth; when I looked at it last year it had Palmer as doing almost all the bass which made no sense.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

That’s odd, because, as noted above, On The Way Home kicks off Neil’s Massey Hall album, and appears on Four Way Street as well ... and on the Sugar Mountain Archives release. If you saw Neil in the early 70s, with or without CSN, you probably saw him play this song.

22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I love this album. Really warm great atmosphere to me. Meant a lot to me as a kid.

23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’d argue that I Am A Child and On The Way Home are better than The Loner, The Old Laughing Lady, and anything else on Neil’s solo debut. Whether or not Last Time Around is a real group album, Neil gave the Springfield two songs that would have greatly improved his solo debut if he had held them back for it.

24. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

John Einerson's book had a list drawn up of an earlier contemplated 3rd album by Young that went:
    Steve's long Song; Telephone Pole, I Guess You Made It, Nobody's Fool, Whatever Happened to Saturday Night, The Old Laughing Lady, Uno Mundo, What a Day, Kind Woman, Sell Out, Just Can't Seem to Get Moving, I am A Child, and Not Quite Rain.
    Way less Stills and Way more Young and Furay.

25. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

I thought Bruce Palmer was deported to Canada for drug issues, at that time.