Buffalo Springfield "LAST TIME AROUND"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

The first time I heard it I was really bored with it and was yawning the whole drive home, until I put on some Fats Domino.

Listened to it recently and enjoyed it. The first track is amazing.

2. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

I remember getting "Last Time Around" in 1968 (having also been on the Springfield bandwagon since 1966) and seeing that cover with Neil facing away. I wasn't into teen mags for Neil's in-and-out of the band stuff , so that was never really on my radar then. We just saw that Neil was solidly on every album, so it was "on with the show"...with each album.

Of course the title to their last was obvious, but still... I and my friends were in denial. We didn't want to believe it really was the LAST TIME AROUND"! Maybe it was just an album title, like, to one of the song lyrics. Eventually we "got" it, but loved the album. Saw it as a strong effort as usual, and with all the individual personalities coming across with each track...no more disjointed than any, but with each track showcasing the songwriters, it was a joy to identify who wrote what song.

Got my 1968 vinyl signed by Jim Messina at his show here this summer, so yeah..obviously for me, Jim was in the band....officially (it's in writing!)....and solidly. Love every track on their last time around. (AND love every Poco LP with Messina...my faves...just listen to Grand Junction to hear what a talent Jim was on guitar! And Rusty...wow!).

Rickchick, alexpop and chacha like this.
  3. lemonade kid

And Furay too--Kind Woman has to be one of his all time best...foretelling his strong lead in forming Poco.

I also love "The Hour Of Not Quite Rain". The only track in all the Buffalo Springfield catalog that was not completely written by a band member. For those who are unfamiliar, a radio station was running a contest for fans to write a poem/lyrics that the Springfield would set to music for inclusion on their next album. Kind of one of those hokey silly things that they did to promote bands back then. When a winner was announced, with Springfield in disarray, no one came forward to write the music to the winner's lyrics. All except Richie...he was an honorable guy and felt it was his duty to live up to the promise, whether it was actually agreed to by all the band or not.

Though the lyrics seem a bit etherial for Springfield, Richie's music creates a beautiful, atmospheric masterpiece to my ears, and I loved it from the start. And those co-songwriting credits earned fan Miki Callen $1000 plus royalies for life, and a claim to part of the wonderful legacy & legend of Buffalo Springfield. Pretty cool actually!

And Bruce Palmer actually played bass on 6 of the 12 tracks. Messina played guitar & bass on some, but is uncredited on guitar. It is his, Stills and Furay's masterful production in bringing all the disparate members together (there is not a single track where the full band was assembled) for a unified effort!

:cheers:

Uuan, Rickchick, BadJack and 2 others like this.
  4. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

Do you enjoy the album, Steve?

5. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Yeah! I think there was the hope that it would be a temporary thing, but when Richie Furey and Jim Messina formed POCO renamed from the original name POGO, we kind of knew that the party was over. In reality, Buffalo Springfield was kind of dysfunctional for at least a year before the end with the deportation of Bruce Palmer and sporadic no shows with Neil Young, you never knew what you were going to get. I was however very lucky to see Buffalo Springfield twice during the summer and fall of 1967 with all the original members there. They were a great experience.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Way back in 1968, we had no FM Rock yet in LA, only AM. I remember on KRLA when LAST TIME AROUND came out, the DJ's were playing songs off of it (not the singles but actual album cuts.) One jock at night played all of side one in order, lamenting that the band was breaking up and this was their farewell album. That's how I heard PRETTY GIRL, WHY, etc. for the first time. Never before had an album been released (to my knowledge) that was publicized as the final album. I was confused as to why the band was breaking up after three albums and a little pissed as well.

As I've written about here, I was sitting with my mom at the food court in Topanga Plaza in 1967 watching the skaters in the ice rink when all of a sudden the rink was cleared and two photographers and a rock band came on to the ice fooling around and taking pictures. I had no idea who it was but we watched closely. The next month the pics were out in some teen mag that I saw at the market, maybe "16" or something. I saw a few of the pics and I read that it was the Buffalo Springfield. Wow, I had no idea.

At any rate, my parents got me LAST TIME AROUND for Christmas, 1968. I've loved it fiercely since then. The old Atco CD is great.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Teen Set magazine:

[​IMG]

kBear, ExHead, Beatledust and 8 others like this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

^^^The centerfold of Teen Set magazine Christmas 1967 1st row, Neil Young and Val Garay… L/R Emitt Rhodes, Nancy Furay, Ritchie Furay, far right Dewey Martin (Buffalo Springfield) Patty Fischer, Joel Larson (Grass Roots/Merry Go Round), Lee Michaels , Steven Stills (cowboy hat).

alexpop likes this.
  9. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Wikipedia entry for the album says:
    Released 30 July 1968
    Recorded February 1967-April 1968

I always assumed, incorrectly it turns out, that most of this album was "leftovers" that hadn't found their way home onto one of the first two albums.
    From my count...
    1967: 5
    1968: 7.

10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Loved Teen Set! I remember that photo. What a great magazine. I think Judith Sims the editor is between Stills & Dewey in that photo. Great times.

11. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Steve, the Joe Gastwirt mastered CD?

12. Steve Hoffman

I don't know. It didn't have too much of a treble boost, but it was brighter than the first two CD's which came out much earlier.

I have my old Atco LP that sounds like MUD.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  13. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

I don't agree with any of this.

DTK likes this.
  14. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Love the version of "Questions" on here--Stills was on fire songwriting-wise in this era.

Uuan, Rickchick and DTK like this.
  15. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

Yes! I always focus on the drums in "Merry Go Round"; not just the sound, but the playing. Who is it?

16. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

So you don't agree that:

1 - Pretty Girl Why was recorded during the 'Again' sessions?
    2 - Stills 5 songs on the album range from good to excellent?
    3 - Neil's 2 songs are excellent?
    4 - Merry Go Round and Kind Woman are good songs?

:shrug:

17. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

We had KPPC in 1968.

18. Steve Hoffman

You had FM radio? Where? Parent's console or what?

19. lemonade kid

Me either, B.BuPo.

The critique about it being a throwaway album are just hooey...an opinion without any real substance or basis in fact. And in no way is it left over material. And Messina's song only adds to the greatness of it all. A kind of sunny country respite before Stills' wonderfully biting social commentary tune, "Special Care".

Just my opinion also. I'm just sayin'...

:tiphat:

20. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

1. Don't know.
    2. Agree, but I don't like "Uno Mundo" very much.
    3. "On The Way Home" very good - excellent; "I Am A Child" good, but a bit slight.
    4. "Merry Go Round": a fantastic recording and performance of a very good song; "Kind Woman": good.

21. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

Parents' console, yes, and a clock radio in my bedroom where I'd listen late at night.

22. Steve Hoffman

I have no memory of when we got an FM radio in the house or in the car for that matter. Must have been around 1969 or so, I guess. KLOS was still KABC-FM, that's for sure.

23. lemonade kid

Me too

Rickchick likes this.
  24. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Kind Woman is easily my favorite BS song. LTA may be my favorite of three but I will concede that it sounds more like a(n early) Poco record. As for Care Free Country Day, I think it's a neat little track. The bass is monstrous on the ATCO CD for such a sleepy track. And, didn't the band make some money off of it when it was in those tea commercials?

lemonade kid likes this.
  25. lemonade kid

I got my little GE AM/FM radio in 1968 for my birthday. Kept me up on all the new music, especially deep album cuts, on our local University student FM radio station.

Something like this itty bitty console radio...for late nights listening in my bedroom: music made high school bearable.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.