Buffalo Springfield "LAST TIME AROUND"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peter

peter Senior Member

That is the consensus here. Some tracks sounded foldy to me; others much better than that.

chacha likes this.
  2. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I'm not the one who said it, but I too had fm radio on every day beginning in July 1967, about a month after Monterey/Sgt Pepper had settled down. A local, big-deal dj and his wife bought a religious fm station and turned it into a wonderful pop station. Very visionary guy who came into high prominence in 1961 as a successful program director. He'd base station playlists on a 4-point system; 1st being jukebox plays tied into a three-state area (I still dunno how he did this decades before the computer/information age), 2nd based on requests (which could be very manipulated), and third on national charts. His 4th area was gut feel. The open playlists were so refreshing to me. With the market penetration of Fm radios being what it was in the summer of love, keeping the station going was difficult.

........but yeah... had to go inside the house to listen to it on the fm radio/turntable system..... which was in another room from the almighty 1958 Zenith Sf177r stereo system (am radio only on that behemoth ..."I'm the cobra, feed me a 45rpm record and I'll blast out windows 2 houses away).

So Steve, you were at the ice rink that day for the Teenset shoot? I am SO jealous. They all went up into the local mountains for the next shoot when there was snow. The snow pics are some of the best of the band imo. The last photo set around town was done a few months later in one of the local parks where Judy and Janey had the idea for the band (and Lee Michaels and a few others) to build kites and try to fly them for the cameras. For that shoot, the band was wearing the identical clothing from the photo shoots for the LTA cover...before the pic of Neil was spliced in just after he agreed to do the final southern tour during which mlk was killed. Which has always made me feel the park event and cover photo shoot were the same week or day.

I'm more a gusher over the band than you are Steve, but just think.... every single person you probably saw walk into that rink that day with your own eyes were not only there because of Judy (ie working for her or her friends) but were there because....BECAUSE..... the band was supposed to be..........destined to be............. had to be........ in only a few more minutes would be realized by the universe ...to be ....... IT. To go down in history only in breaths that would include Beatles, Stones, Springfield. Anyone in that rink that day would've been there under that operating mode. imo anyway.

Years later, when Judy was a reporter for Rolling Stone in her next life, she told me that there was a great deal of sadness in being a writer and having no way to convey the BS experience to those who didn't live it. She told me it would always be a small condolence, but to just hang on to the mementos and memories and realize that life sometimes just works out in ways you can't explain to anyone else.

Man..... you were there that day???? Geez!

3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Aw it ain’t that bad.
    Might be your copy.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yeah, I was there with my mom. It was not a crowded day at Topanga Plaza. I can remember eating my hamburger trying to figure out who was who on the ice. I had NO idea what these guys looked like, I didn't get "AGAIN" until 1969, after I had LAST TIME AROUND. I remember my mom remarking on their outfits and how over the top they looked compared to the people in the mall. Like I said, all future rock royalty on the ice that day!

Do you know the exact date of the ICE shoot? Sad the day they removed the ice rink. Was really neat.

kBear, Chrome_Head and Bowie Fett like this.
  5. chacha

Not to mention all the other people involved in putting on a tour that were suddenly and unexpectedly thrown out of work.

Uuan likes this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

neil young being neil young. however, that was a bad one.

Uuan and chacha like this.
  7. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

This story and the one about Nesmith at The Troubador is nuts. What a lucky kid.

p.s. do you have tickets for Nesmith in January doing First National Band songs?

EDIT: Is your copy of BSA a mono one? You'd be even more lucky.

8. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I remember seeing those photo's from them ice skating at the Topanga Plaza ice skating rink. I didn't know if that was something that they did all the time or what. I loved going there. Wallach's Music City was always one of my stops. Our family only travelled there on special occasions having to come all the way down from Ventura. It seemed like an all day affair back then.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  9. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

And as far as I know it is the only place you can get the extended rockin' version of Bluebird.

Rickchick and lemonade kid like this.
  10. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Actually there is 2 LP Various Artist compilation that was released in mid 70s titled (of all things) Heavy Metal that includes the long version also.I think I notice a few on Ebay if you're interested.I have that too and the quality is pretty good.Oh the heaviest it gets is Mountain Miss Queen.The title is a misnomer.

11. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I certainly did not understand the meaning of "Four Days Gone" when I first heard the album and dismissed it. With a better understanding of what was happening at the time as I got older, the song blew me away.

Rickchick likes this.
  12. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

LTA is a very fine album. Probably their most uneven but filled with geeat songs. That so many different songs pop up as personal favorites in this thread, speaks volumes of the album's quality.

Personally I think these are the best:
    *4 Stills songs (I exclude Uno Mundo) are sublime.
    *I am a child and Not quite rain are superb.
    *On the way home, Uno mundo, Kind woman are very good and the rest are good enough songs.

To compare this album with the first 2 is probably unfair. But it is one that I cherish as a very fine product of that precious time.

Uuan and Chrome_Head like this.
  13. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Always a very bittersweet treasure of a song for me as I was weighing my options seriously at that time.

14. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

I always hope the three buffalo springfield records will be rereleased AAA with the mono versions if possible

Rickchick and samthesham like this.
  15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I love this LP, and a really fine, if imperfect LP. "I Am A Child" and "Kind Woman" alone are good enough for me to regard it as worth owning.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  16. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Spinning my ATCO reissue from 1968, sounding pretty damn good to me right now.

chacha likes this.
  17. chacha

Yes. I’ve heard pressings of this that sound like crap and some that sound good.

18. peter

peter Senior Member

Just avoid the machine stamped CTH Columbia ones and you should be fine. Look for AT and LW in the dead was as these denote an Atlantic mastered copy. As an aside, does anyone remember the name of the record store in West Hollywood on the second level of a small strip mall close to Barneys Beanery?

chacha likes this.
  19. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

The only vinyl pressing I've heard is the one I found a bunch of years back with what I would imagine to be the last pressing from either the early or mid-80s. Here is the label design:
    [​IMG]
    In the deadwax at about 1 o'clock you can see the AT / GP initials - George Piros I think. Anyway, this pressing sounds pretty good!

chacha likes this.
  20. chacha

Yes I have a couple of hand etched copies that sound really good but somewhat different , a purple and tan original and a slightly later yellow label.

21. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Seems like a new gem catches my attention each time I spin this record. Currently, it’s Furay’s wonderful “It’s So Hard To Wait”. :righton:
    What a great tune.

Damiano54 likes this.
  22. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

Great song. I neglected it in my prior post. Shame on me, this is an excellent one!

Chrome_Head likes this.
  23. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

I just can't seem to get mooooo-vin'...!!!

Chrome_Head likes this.
  24. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

KMET was the first rock FM station in the LA area that I can remember and they started in 1968. KPPC was out of Pasadena, but their broadcasting signal was hard to pick up in Ventura County. It was either KMET or KLOS. I preferred the former.

25. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

"It's So Hard to Wait" - Buffalo Springfield.

Chrome_Head and chacha like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.