Buffalo Springfield "LAST TIME AROUND"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. themarkster

themarkster Forum Resident

The front cover has been commented on a few times, but I also really like the back cover; it's a really cool collage of the bands history, and also features former stand ins Doug Hastings, Ken Koblun and Jim Fielder which I always thought was a nice touch.

[​IMG]

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Before the internet. Album art would be scrutinized over and over for new information.

3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

And I think I see Keith Richards in there, too.

Jon H. likes this.
  4. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Mine sounds nice too...not the yellow ATCO label that came soon after. The purple, white stripe, gold label.

[​IMG]

5. varispeed

varispeed what if?

Yeah, a pic from the band's first biggie gig, opening for the Stones. I once asked Rich if they got to hang out with the Stones that night and he said no; they were hustled right out of the area like anyone else after their set.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  6. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I also like the sort of cryptic LA times news article on the back album cover from the drug bust at Pete's house that netted Clapton, Neil, and a bunch of others. As I remember, Steve escaped through a window or something, but the others went to jail, where all of them (including the girls) were treated badly, hosed down at the lockup, and other assorted 1968-type-musician-in-the-presence-of-LA-cops un-niceties. That night, coupled with the collapse of the tour 3 or so weeks earlier when MLK was shot, coupled with no money coming in... was pretty much the final straw.

In my 1968 world, it wasn't yet commonplace to dwell on drug busts on album covers. Things were certainly getting there by July...... but this was just another one of those you-just-had-to-be-there descriptions of how Buffalo Springfield was ahead of the curve. Or at least another badge to put them (imo) in the same cutting edge camps as Beatles and Stones dramas. :)

7. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

Has someone an opinion on how last time around mastered by Chris Bellman for the box set compare with the original atco ? And is there a big difference between the original atco and the mid seventies repress that are mastered by George Piros ?

8. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I have a copy of the yellow label reissue that came a bit later, and it sounds quite good to me.

lemonade kid likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That your label? Looks like Columbia Record Club.

10. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

100% that furay track KILLS me anytime i hear it. hands down a favorite. once poco was up and running i used to hop in to timmy schmidt's bug to go with him to the troubadour. i was his "unofficial" roadie a cpl times. which simply meant carrying his fender p. ha. the loudest gig i ever heard was poco at the troubadour and i will never forget rusty's steel playing. it was unforgettable. what a band. they should have been the eagles.

i had amazing neighbors.

Rickchick, jeremylr, Bill and 8 others like this.
  11. lemonade kid

And Jim Messina still rocks. Saw him last summer. Very underrated guitarist. Missed him after he left Poco.

BTW... you had some very cool neighbors for sure!

12. lemonade kid

No. I wish. That would be rare! Just an image from google

13. rkt88

@lemonade kid you appear to have great taste in old music. i just had to say. ha

lemonade kid likes this.
  14. PurpleHaze

PurpleHaze Forum Resident

I find myself reaching for Buffalo Springfield Again. IMO, that's the best album these guys released.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  15. Jon H.

Jon H. Forum Resident

My buddy VeeJay Collector (forum member) has the WLP of the album, and I've done a needle-drop of his copy; I can confirm it's a fold-down, but the recordings are pretty good sounding (despite ATCO LP's being inconsistent on vinyl!) and if you want to hear how it sounds just do Steve's L + R cable thing, or alternately hit your mono switch on your ole-timey receiver/amplifier.

I love the bass playing on this album, and Jim Messina's engineering - there is another thread that Steve started about how this is really not a "band" album that you should check out.

Finally - the mono single versions of Buffalo Springfield's releases, as well as the alternate Haesco-CSG mixes of Un-Mundo (that's how it's spelled on the single) and its flipside Merry Go Round should be tracked down for comparison.

I've said it before in different threads - the powers that be need to compile a Buffalo Springfield rarities set. Stereo "Baby Don't Scold Me", long "Bluebird", all mono (and CSG stereo) single mixes, both "Down to the Wire" versions, etc.

We'd all buy it, wouldn't we?

BeSteVenn, Rickchick, lukpac and 3 others like this.
  16. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

This bootleg covers some of what you're talking about, sadly missing the single mix of "Merry Go Round. As one would expect, the sound quality is uneven but it's just nice to be able to hear these tracks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. peter

peter Senior Member

I'd buy that CD in a heartbeat!

Rickchick, The MEZ, Jon H. and 2 others like this.
  18. Jon H.

Jon H. Forum Resident

Okay - this collection is the answer to my Springfield wishes! I've searched for it on the net but can't find it; frustrating, but understandable given its provenance.

My contention that if a Springfield rarities compilation was made available commercially, and that we'd all buy it, has been reinforced with the pictures of that tantalizing unauthorized CD. Yikes!

@rkt88 - your posts so far on various threads I've been reading have been awesome! Glad to have you on board on the forum, as it's clear that you were "there at the right time", albeit as a younger person, when all of this mid-'60's West Coast stuff was happening in real time. Looking forward to more insights from you.

Buffalo Springfield really delivered the QUALITY goods as far as material goes - the compilation of unreleased tracks above, coupled with the great rarities made available with the box set make a strong case for a comprehensive rarities release.

That band was really, really special, as I'm sure most of you know.

Cheers!

EdColeman, Bob J and rkt88 like this.
  19. rkt88

thanks so much for the kind words. of ALL the bands i knew and/or was around as a kid. BS was my favorite by far. they didn't last long ( nor did i ).

barry friedman ( nee frazier ) was my next door neighbor in a house shared with paul rothchild who then moved all of 6 houses away.. named them = buffalo springfield. 8510 ridpath drive circa 66. after stills hit, he had a black ferrari and a bag of white powder.

crosby only had a vw bus with a porsche 356 motor ha! but he had the best pot in the neighborhood, hands down.

my next favorite from the time is probably poco, but that's also nostalgia and experientially arrived at.

again, thanks...i do this to "remember stuff"... and yes. cheers!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  20. Jon H.

Jon H. Forum Resident

Damn man!

You were there, at the time, EXPERIENCING all that happened; we look forward to your comments, insights and stories. As far as Poco goes, they were truly amazing as a group, but not marketed as effectively as their contemporaries in the same time frame. And they were truly ground-breaking in their way, and exciting live. But as you said earlier, anything with Richie Furay was going to be good at that time (not to mention the triple-platinum talents of his ex-bandmates in CSN & Y).

What a fertile time to be in LA. I've talked with several people who were there at the time - and truly, ALL of them were in awe of the Springfield. And Love. And The Byrds. And - when Jim was ON - the Doors.

Keep sharing stories with us, my friend!

EdColeman and rkt88 like this.
  21. rkt88

i will, and as i have little choice... ;) again, thanks, so very much.

22. Jon H.

Jon H. Forum Resident

Keith's face was on one of the posters of the Stones' faces when the Springfield opened for the Stones (I believe at the Hollywood Bowl, 7/25/66) and there were large pictures of the Stones onstage behind the band; this was an important early gig for the band as far as visibility.

I too love the collage of the back cover of this album; in fact, the Springfield's albums are high standards of "collage" album artwork ("Again", "Last Time Around", "Retrospective" (front and back covers!), and the 2 LP compilation from 1973, etc.).

Love the albums, and love the artwork that heralded this great music.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  23. lemonade kid

My label looks like this but I bought it in 1968 when it came out, at our local record store. It's shiny and looks like my other ATCO labels.

...so what makes this different: what should a Columbia Record Club label look like, Steve?? Different number? Identifying "Columbia...." blurb in small text at the bottom? I think my record club Court Of The Crimson King has that.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  24. lemonade kid

Was Bruce in that bust. I know he got busted three (?) times and was finally deported. In the Einarson Springfield bio, written with Richie, there is a quote from one member saying that Bruce was the heart of Springfield and it he hadn't been deported and in and out of the band so often, Neil might not have left so soon and the band may have been around longer. With Neil's in and out routine, that would be only wishful thinking for me. But who knows? It does have a newspaper clipping on the back cover of Bruce getting busted if I recall aright, also...or just a pic anyway. Hmmm...it was the Springfield bust clipping that was included. Even as a youthful 17 year old I somehow thought that was cool, anti-establishment n' all.
    But a head shot of Bruce is there that looks like Alfred E. Newman! Ha! Still love it.

At least with ATCO they didn't disown the major part each player contributed, the way Columbia disowned Gene Clark on The Byrds Greatest hits lp cover even though he was on six or seven of the tracks, including songwriting credits. The four Byrds? Nope. The classic five is the best lineup.

[​IMG]

Rickchick likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Atco labels were dull with normal printing. Record Club Atco labels were shiny with weird printing. Would be Columbia stamped matrix no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.