Buffalo Springfield song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RedRoseSpeedway, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Everybody's Wrong.
    One of the two least interesting songs on the album. It's still pretty good but more on the level of some of those early demo's.
    2/5

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Hard to disagree. A solid album cut, one that is perhaps overshadowed by some of the more well-known tracks.

RedRoseSpeedway likes this.
  3. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

This is excellent! They should have gone with this arrangement on the original recording!

JoeRockhead likes this.
  4. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Ha! But it rhymes. "Crown" sounded kinda cool in 1966; a kind of homage to the British Invasion...since Springfield wanted to be the American Beatles, popularity-wise. Shuoudda been. They were, for me.

The "crown" (a five shilling piece) was minted into the 1980's (albeit in small numbers, and often in later years, as a commemorative coin such as for coronations, and royal weddings), and we heard "crown" used in film etc, so it didn't seem weird to hear it then.

But anyway....each to his own...I always like d"crown", even if only as a rhyming device. Still do.

:tiphat:

davenav, zobalob, vanhooserd and 2 others like this.
  5. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover Thread Starter

I don’t take points off for it! I think it’s a pretty neat and (at the time) unusual use of the word.

davenav, vanhooserd and lemonade kid like this.
  6. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

And any US/Canadian visiting the UK at the time would have had plenty of opportunity to spend one or two of these, which were very much in circulation:

[​IMG]

davenav, zobalob and vanhooserd like this.
  7. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

I think that one was one of the largest circulations with over 19,000,000 minted.

So "crown" was not archaic at all...in 1965. It didn't seem strange to me in 1965;"crown" was a pretty common term we had all heard often in British films.It intrigued me that Stills chose to use "crown" in the lyrics. Beyond the rhyming aspect, it gave the song and band an international appeal.

Coincidentally, an annual viewing and my favorite "Scrooge" film is the 1951 British classic in which Alistair Sim uttered that famous line, "Come back with him in less than five minutes and I'll give you half-a-crown!"...so yeah, a part of my teenaged consciousness.

8. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

"Everybody's Wrong"... the problem with rating these, as a Springfield fan, is even tracks that may not be considered "classics"... or even "important"... are still interesting and provide an enjoyable listen. Springfield was a band bursting with ideas, and even if not all of them worked, you have to admire their ambition and willingness to take artistic chances, even this early on. (By the 2nd album, they're already trying to make their own Sgt. Pepper! Tracks like "Expecting to Fly" and "Broken Arrow" are productions you'd expect on a band's 5th album, maybe.) Plus the fact that since they were such a distinct set of artistic personalities, it's hard to nail down a specific "Springfield" sound, (compared, say, to the Byrds of the same period.) I can't think of a single L.A. group in 1966, (or in S.F., come to think of it,) that boasted that level of talent in one unit.

I never hit the skip button with "Everybody's Wrong," but there was even better to come... so I'll give it a solid 3/5.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  9. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

YIKES!!

Didn’t think my issue would illicit anything, much less all this numismatics.

Too bad Stills didn’t try to rhyme with Buck.

10. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Don’t remember which CSNY bio, but Neil wasn’t a Dewey fan. Apparently, Dewey wanted more stage time.

I was surprised when I read it, Good Time Boy and all.

DTK, RedRoseSpeedway and Syscrusher like this.
  11. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Regarding Dewey Martin and his desire for more stage time, the July 1, 1967 show at the Hullabaloo must have been something to behold. Apparently Stills and Dewey fronted the band, doing a Sam & Dave-like "soul review"-styled performance while Mike Clarke and Buddy Miles guested on drums. David Crosby also sat in, covering for Neil who unexpectedly joined in for a couple of numbers.

Would've paid to see that.

pablo fanques, fr in sc, DTK and 2 others like this.
  12. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Not surprised he wanted to leave. Dewey would be enough for me, but throw in the fact that in mid-1968 they are still playing Clancy and other old songs, and giving Neil one tune to sing, Mr. Soul. You can tell he can't even hear himself singing, I've heard him address in an interview.

13. RedRoseSpeedway

Ratings for “Everybody’s Wrong”

0-0
    1-0
    2-2
    3-5
    4-1
    5-3

14. RedRoseSpeedway

Today’s song is “Flying On The Ground Is Wrong”

Wow, what a song! One of my absolute favorites from this album and from the Springfield in general. It’s perfect! The harmonies, the instrumentation, and Richie’s vocals! Man, they’re so good. I love the part from 1:43-1:58 especially. Perfection! 5/5! Of course shoutout to Neil for writing this amazing tune.

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Hot Dusty Roads is a very fine song under.
    Everybody's Wrong too. Neither is among their greatest songs, but the bar was pretty high.

16. CrawdaddySim1

What can one say? A stone-cold classic, with a melody that sticks in the head for days. I love the way Richie sings it, but Neil doing it solo acoustic is just as fine. 5/5

17. varispeed

varispeed what if?

For Everybody's Wrong live, Dewey would start by himself....sorta like the Randy Scouse effect although EW was earlier. To me, the song fit well in the band's sets as it was uptempo, featured Rich...with Steve doubling, and was nice & driving. Not a fav album track for me, but..it fit live.

I don't know Neil's opinion of Dewey in 1966-67. I had a really nice long dinner with Jim Fielder though and he said that Steve was the one at constant odds with Dewey. Aside from Steve punching Bruce, Steve took a swing at Dewey after some badgering one night. Jim said he had to jump out of the way. Jim...who spent more consistent time in the band compared even to Bruce....was pretty colorful in describing the chaos.

Watch the very very very initial moments of the Springfield R&R Hall induction where they're assembling on stage. Dewey points to someone and then flashes the Dewey grin and points to Steve. Steve gives sort of an uggh look and moves away.

In later years, Neil did have Dewey at the ranch to test out some playing together. He did have Dewey play on "I Am A Child" while Steve opted for Buddy Miles and most any other drummer he could find in town for third album stuff.

So...I dunno.

But as to Everybody's Wrong, it certainly worked in the context of the sets. For me anyway.

18. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

5/5

What you said, and the last verse...

City lights at a country fair
    Never shine but always glare
    If I'm bright enough to see you, you're just to dark to care

Love it!

19. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

"Flying on the Ground is Wrong" - pretty damned good. 4/5. A drug song, if I'm reading it right.

20. varispeed

varispeed what if?

This was another nice one in the 67 live sets. This and"Do I Have..." and their inclusion of the newly tracked "Pretty Girl Why" gave some nice contrast to the driving catch-your-breath feel of the sets.

I also like the track.

RedRoseSpeedway and Jon H. like this.
  21. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

"Flying"-- yeah, this is a real highlight of the first album... hell, any album at that time. Sublime and graceful. Love the way Neil was using all those 7th chords so early on in his career. It has a perfect melody that I equate with some of the great standards. Has to be a 5/5 for me.

davenav, mcwlod, fr in sc and 6 others like this.
  22. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The side openers were great also (all 3 of them). 5/5.

23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes "Flying" is a 5/5. I like it when Richie and Neil sings it equally, both bring something to the song.

24. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

"Flying…" is another superlative song. I repeat what I said about "Clancy" — there just weren't all that many songs about in this era that were so finely crafted, both musically and lyrically. A song of true beauty in every regard.

25. CrawdaddySim1

"It's not a drrrug song... it's just vulgar to think so." --Bob Dylan in reference to "Visions of Johanna," live on stage in 1966. :laugh: