buffering problems with Real Player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by btomarra, Oct 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

I tried to search and couldn't find anything.

Need some help. If I download a music file to Real Player., it initially loads ok. Then I play it and it plays for a second or so, then there are communication problems and it has to buffer. How can I correct this? This happened with the Beatles UK vinyl/US vinyl comparisons thread.

Thanks,

Brian

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Buffering problems are usually a poor Internet connection with your streaming material. You're trying to play something on the 'net? Are you on dialup?

3. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

Yes, Sckott I am.

Brian

4. Sckott

Most likely the compression for the material you're trying to stream is a bit chunky for dialup. One of the advantages of broadband or DSL is that large streams don't bottleneck...

Dialup is becoming too low-bandwith to support much these days... especially for internet media streams.

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

This is my experience exactly. On dial-up, increasing trouble handling streams...with DSL, no prob! Things load fast and smoothly. A fact of life, alas....

:ed:

6. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I'm on dial-up and have the same trouble these days. It's hardly worth bothering anymore.

7. Sckott

I remember sometime in 1997 or so.... a radio station I had worked for told me to get this new snippet of a Sammy Hagar tune from Liquid Audio. I had to use a Sony Minidisc into an ISA 8-bit sound card, on dialup of course.

So then I had to cart that up and play it on the air. It sounded like a beaten shortwave transmission. Swishing, hissing....and back then, it was bad. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.