BUILD THREAD - Altec Mini Iconic

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by FalseMetal666, Feb 12, 2024.

1. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident Thread Starter

For those interested, I'll be memorializing my recent speaker build here. Pictured below:

[​IMG]

The idea was to put together something suited to low power tube amps so I could eventually start exploring simple DIY amp building.

I ran across some pictures of the original Lansing Iconic speakers and they grabbed my imagination. I got a bit obsessed with the idea of hearing modern music through these totally obsolete, antique speakers with obsolete, antique tube amps. Like time traveling back to the 1930s with my Dismember and Mobb Deep records...

[​IMG]

2. FalseMetal666

CABINETS
    I commissioned copies of the original Altec 614. The plans you're likely to find online are the ~1970s plans for the Altec "utility cabinet" which is similar (and maybe better?) but not the same. I would have preferred the larger 612 cut for 15" speakers or better still, A7-style horn loaded cabinets, but apartment living requires some compromises.

Utility Cabinet Plans
    [​IMG]

Original 614 (note the sub-baffle, larger vent)
    [​IMG]

SPEAKERS
    Great Plains Audio 414B-8. Got a deal on a used pair. New are now prohibitively expensive from GPA so I'd probably go with something from Eminence if buying new. Eminence is the OEM for Heretic and Zu, among others.

HORNS
    Tsingtao posts on HiFi Haven and is an audio wizard of the highest order. He designs horns based on classics like the Altec H808 and 329, among others. He did a run of 800hz multicell, cast aluminum horns last year, and I jumped on a pair.

COMPRESSION DRIVERS
    I chose Altec 802-8G for their reported superior high frequency extension. Found a pair on local Facebook marketplace with blown diaphragms for cheap, replaced them with Radian parts, good to go. Some folks aren't crazy about the 8G's "tangerine" phase plugs and prefer the older radial design, so I may seek out a pair of older drivers for comparison at some point.

802-8G and 808-8B with "Tangerine" phase plug
    [​IMG]
    Earlier 802, 804, 806, 807, etc with radial phase plug
    [​IMG]

CROSSOVERS
    Scavenged from a pair of Altec 9849 studio monitors, the Altec 32343 crossovers have a second order 1500Hz crossover point with Zobel on the woofer and built in EQ on the tweeter. The 9849 came from Altec with 414B speakers and 802-8G compression drivers, so I sought these crossovers out as a good starting point.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    Ntotrar, jfeldt and Phil Thien like this.
  3. FalseMetal666

NEXT STEPS
    First thing on my to-do is to learn how to use REW. Hoping I can learn REW well enough to see what the cabinets are actually doing and address damping and/or bracing accordingly.

Once damping and bracing is figured out, potential adjustment to the vent size might be in order. Easy to make a little block off plate to reduce the overall size.

Taking my cues from @Ampexed I plan to eventually bi-amp via an active crossover, with final voicing accomplished via minimal passive parts. @Ampexed described the advantages of such an approach very convincingly here:

The Altec Lansing Voice of the Theatre Thread

Eventually, my Lab12 Suono will power the woofers and a to-be-determined DIY 45 or 2A3 amp will power the horns. I hope to get that done before the end of the year and will mercilessly pester Amexped and others for help.

Thanks to all for your assistance and encouragement in this, our most genteel and civilized hobby.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  4. Davey

Davey NP: Chihei Hatakeyama ~ Mirage (2017 LP)

Those look really nice in your place, cool thread!

Ntotrar and FalseMetal666 like this.
  5. fully_articulated

fully_articulated Forum Resident

Skunkie's 1930's style globe amp might be a nice match for this project? It's not 45 or 2A3, but it seems era-appropriate.

Nice work on the speakers!

FalseMetal666 likes this.