Building a System based on Music Preference

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ptrlhd, Mar 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I believe a high quality highly current capable amp can drive almost any speaker to its full potential. That’s why I’m in the process of buying an amp with huge storage capability and current drive for my Klipschorns.

2. ptrlhd

ptrlhd Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Any suggestions for a high current ss amp that’s also ‘tube’ sounding?

3. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Right now you have perceptions about speakers which are not reality, i.e. your perception of the JBL 4429 as a party speaker. Based on your music genres it’s an ideal speaker for you.

4. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I’m going back to a tube preamp and a highly current capable amp cause that combination seems ideal for me due to experience. This combo can drive almost any speaker with high sensitivity or low sensitivity with a complex load. For me it’s the ideal solution as if I’m forced to move to a condo and for some reason have to give up my Klipschorns I could probably “flesh out” much lower sensitivity speakers in the bottom end at lower acceptable volume levels. It’s a win win except for the $$$ of course.

5. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

A pair of Zus with a Schiit Loki to boost the bass would fit your musical tastes perfectly, and you could use any amp you want. And Zu gives you 60 days in home.

Some of the other speaker suggestions might be great also, but when I read your musical tastes I immediately thought Zu. I love cranking afrobeat on mine.

jbmcb likes this.
  6. softie

softie Well-Known Member

Here's an idea.

Get Jim Smith's "Get Better Sound" [1] book and try to get your current system placed within the room as best you can. Temporarily dampen the first reflections with pillows on chairs and put a couple of blankets down on the floor in front of your speakers. Get your listening position in just the right place. As someone once said, "Your room is the elephant in the room." :)

Maybe this will help you analyze what's missing with your current set up. Do you feel like the speakers aren't pressuring the room? Is the bass disappointing? Tone of the instruments not right? Humans sound like robots? No soundstage? No dynamics? [2]

I'm not sure if this will work for you, but if you can verbalize what your missing it may help you figure out what to look for.

[1] I like this book, and recommend it, but there are other procedures published on the web that will help get you and your speakers in the right place. In my experience, placement is as important as your speaker choice. It can certainly be more important, depending.
    [2] I'm just making up words for the possible sound deficits here. Just take note of whatever seems negative (or positive) about your current setup. Then post here more about what you're lacking.

guestuser, Barry_NJ and bever70 like this.
  7. ptrlhd

Thanks for the suggestion, but my current speakers are on-wall speakers, so can’t really do much about moving them around, although they do sound nice... That’s why, I would like to keep these speakers for HT purposes and look for another pair that are better sorted for music

8. softie

softie Well-Known Member

Ah!

In that case, you'll work this out once you decide on speakers. Would you say your listening position is already fixed based on your HT setup?

Do you feel like you have quite a bit of freedom in placing your new speakers? Or not so much?

9. ptrlhd

Listening position is pretty much fixed, maybe I can move the sofa a little forward or back, but not much... speakers will have more freedom for movement, but won’t be able to move them more than 3-4’ forward, hopefully that will be good enough to sound good.

Rick58 likes this.
  10. ptrlhd

Which high current amp would be better suited for my system, PS Audio M700 or Benchmark AHB2... I would’ve also considered the Parasound A21+ but the problem is, it’s too big to fit in my media console (it’s depth is the issue)

Khorn likes this.
  11. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Don't base your decision on depth of media console. If it can't handle the Parasound, it's not a media console, it's something else. Your inclination for Parasound HALO series and HINT integrated are wise. I say go with the separate Parasound HALO amps, beginning with the P6 Preamplifier and DAC.

12. ptrlhd

Right now (phase 1) is to get a power amp (to mate with the Freya+) and speakers. So will keep the Parasound A21+ as an option, and worry about where to place it later... Has anyone compared any of these power amps? I've seen two reviews of the M700 with conflicting descriptions, one mentions it sounds tube like (which I assume means warm) and another saying it is a bit more on the bright side. So for speakers I think I'm going to narrow it down between the JBL L100 Classics and Sonus Faber Sonetto V.

Sterling1 likes this.
  13. softie

softie Well-Known Member

If you go with the JBLs, I recommend you get the stands as well. This maybe adds on $300 or $400, but worth it.

14. guestuser

guestuser Chillin

One consideration that I didn't see mentioned in your post is speaker cables and interconnects. I'm sure others have more experience and better advice as to which brands/models will work with the components, but my suggestion is to make sure you account for those cables and interconnects in your budget since they can add up to a surprising amount.

Best of luck on your upgrade, excited to see how this turns out for you.

15. ptrlhd

Yup will definitely be getting the stands if I go with the L100.

16. ptrlhd

Anyone tried a Rogue Audio Dragon hybrid power amp? Seems interesting that it is a high current amp but with a tube input, kind of similar to the PS Audio M1200/BHK Stereo 250 amp... Wonder if it will give a 'tube' sound or not

Khorn likes this.
  17. SBaradaran

SBaradaran Forum Resident

If you're interested in a more tube sound without the hassle I would recommend some of the Class A amps from Pass Labs. X30.8 or XA25 are good places to start. I would describe them as detailed as hell with some meat and warmth built in.

As for speakers it really depends on the room. Do you have any audio dealers near by to demo in person? Personally I look for speakers that can handle dynamics well and are nice and tight/fast in the bass. My current holy grail is the Spendor D7, for around 4K used is really hard to beat.

18. ptrlhd

Therefore a bunch, one dealer that I found carries PS Audio and Sonus Faber gear, so will try to audition both at the same time... For me it's not about getting the tube sound, it's more on having that is a bit warm kind of sound from my system to help not getting listening fatigue. Since I've read the L100 are on the brighter side, so looking for warmer sounding amp. However the Sonetto V are considered warm, so in that case would go with a neutral or slightly bright amp to match...

End of the day, I'm looking to build a system that I will enjoy for a long time with my music preferences.

19. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

Add JBL 708p powered speakers and stands to your existing system. Not as good looking as the other JBLs mentioned but won’t require another amplifier.

20. ptrlhd

How are the L100 Classics as HT speakers? I know the Sonetto's are designed to be used for both music and HT, just wondering how the JBL's are for double duty use?

21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

And maybe consider active speakers too. Big advantages to consider there.

Randoms and SKean like this.
  22. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Your system is already high-end. Speakers would likely make the largest difference. You can spend thousands on speakers. However, a pair of Revel M22 are available used for $800. Revel uses the same mid-range today as they could not make a better driver yet. That same M22 midrange driver starts at $4K a pair in present Revel speakers. To give you an idea of performance, the Revel M22 handily outperform the KEF LS-50. The Revel M22 also drive easy. I use about 5-8 watts in my present tube amp system driving the Revel M22. So, start with the M22. As for s stereo tube amp, Audio Note has great amplifiers. Youi may want to roll in different tubes vs what Audio Note tubes ships in their amplifiers. Use your present phono amp with the Audio Note.

23. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

For a room that size I would consider Double Impacts and a Raven integrated.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. ptrlhd

What do you guys think of the L100 75th anniversary edition? Is it worth waiting for it/upgraded components?

What've also noticed the L100 are often compared with the Klipsch Forte III speakers, I've never listened to horn speakers, is it worth considering them, especially with the new Forte IV coming out (or other horn speakers in general)

25. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Forum Resident

You mention music you like, my tastes overlap yours a good bit, but you don't mention the sound you like, and I feel this is more important than your musical preferences. Some people love dynamic sound, that jumps out at you, some must have impactful bass, others need pinpoint imaging. For me, a vast sound stage, and an inability to locate the speakers are most important. If I can hear where the speakers are, it's over.
    What is it you enjoy listening for when you sit down to listen?

head_unit likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.