Building from the ground up- New system construction

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rufus t firefly, Mar 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looking for reading recommendations on new audio on a budget. Just beginning to research to build a brand new system. Rather than ask for a bunch of recs from forum members, I want to try and educate myself on the basics. I really don’t understand a lot of the lingo that gets tossed around on these forums,( and I am not ashamed to admit it). Any and all sites I should visit to learn and YouTube channels of course.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

bever70 and enfield like this.
  2. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Check out Robert Harley's Complete Guide to High End Audio. Also find a good dealer to work with shouldn't be too hard being in NY.

3. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

It has never been easier to build a great sounding system on a budget.What front-end to your system are you thinking of? Streaming?/Downloads via laptop?/CD player?/Turntable?

Rick58, Ingenieur and rufus t firefly like this.
  4. rufus t firefly

I have hundreds of CD’s and I stream quite a bit to check out new stuff. I desire to get back into vinyl but that’s down the road right now.

enfield likes this.
  5. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Youtube
    Audiophiliac
    He has a bunch of videos on building budget systems.

6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I agree with this. Buy a book. It'll be better than watching videos. You skip through the book to find what you need. And with a good book it'll be written better than anyone can write scripts for a 5 minute video. And the advise to find a good dealer is essential. You need to hear what is being discussed. You need hear what a well set up system sounds like. Then you need to hear what well set up system with better gear sounds like. Concepts like PRAT have to be demonstrated rather than explained.

7. rufus t firefly

I ordered the Harley book mentioned. Any other sites or books people like?

Ingenieur and jonwoody like this.
  8. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

What kind of budget are we talking about?

10. rufus t firefly

Budget really isn’t the point. Not looking for recommendations on specific components. Just want to learn.

11. hman

hman Forum Resident

Where are you on Long Island?

12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The reason I ask is because some shops deal with specific price points that may not be helpful to the average hobbyist.

If you just want to learn, there are many books and resources you can find online, but beware of audiophool nonsense that will turn your brain to mush.

hman and Rick58 like this.
  13. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I've no specific titles to recommend, but if they don't include active speakers as a viable option for the 21st Century audiophile, they're probably not giving you as full a picture as is available.

Rick58 likes this.
  14. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

One audiophool's nonsense is another's Bible ... :hide: :-popcorn: :winkgrin:

15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Sure, like the "Stereophile glossary" a few members here constantly quote. No thanks.

16. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

What this guy said.

The book is great because it explains pretty much every portion of the system.

The dealer I primarily use has been invaluable. They usually remember what gear I have and don't yank me around when I'm looking to upgrade something. They recommend what I should consider improving on and when. I can't say enough good stuff about them

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    rufus t firefly, jonwoody and Rick58 like this.
  17. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

In the first instance go and see a dealer as other have advised.

And for god's sake do not rely on YouTube for any information, 90% of the reviews on there are paid adverts whatever way they spin it...

rufus t firefly, jonwoody and Rick58 like this.
  18. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Hi:

It appears to me that all the recommendations are very good.

From my recent experience I’d like to add the following:

1) For sure, do some reading and research in any areas in which you can learn about the hobby. There are some good websites which offer good advice when starting. Good research may save you a lot of money and headaches.

2) Next, decide on your main source, rather it be a turntable, CD player etc. This is very important because you cannot make significantly better sound improvements after the source. You can do a few things to help, but not much. It’s much easier is you have a good source component.

3) Decide on a budget. Unless money is no object you should have a budget and than assign a price to each component.

Most would put a little more money into the source and then into the speakers, but I have found that to be greatly dependent on personal preference and events such as sales, specials etc...

4) Where will you place your system? Decide on a room. Then do some research on acoustics. Think about where you will place your speakers.

5) Room size will have an effect on your speakers. Do a good bit of research on what speakers you would like and if they will work in your room. Here, you will prob look at issues such as tuned ports and efficiency.

6) I would advise your to go with a good integrated amp and not a receiver unless you plain o use your system for movies and tv etc. I bring this up because the low price of receivers are very appealing, but the difference in sound quality of a integrated amp is great.

7) Make sure your speakers and amp work well together. You will need to be concerned about Ohms and wattage.

8) Finding a good dealer is very important, especially if you can find a brick and mortar shop. If not, a friend that has a lot of knowledge could be of much help.

9) Be concerned about what accessories you will need. Also buy good speaker wire and interconnects. Again, a dealer or friend will be if much help in this area.

What I have written is the result of mistakes I made and which you may avoid.

There is so much more and so many more on this site that are more knowledgeable than me. Check all the advice you get and weigh it carefully.

I wish you good luck.

19. arley

arley Forum Resident

A good system should be able to reproduce the original sound accurately, whether it's classical, vocal, jazz or rock. (I'm leaving out heavily manufactured stuff like techno and--ugh--disco)

If you're interested in streaming and computer based audio, check out Hans Beekhuyzen. He has a lot of insight into components, especially concerning digital streams, DACs, etc. His website is free, with lots of opinions and discussions; he also has a Kindle book, File Based Audio, which is well worth the $7.99 price. I'm fairly competent in the analog realm, but I must admit to a fair amount of ignorance about streaming, DACs and the like. Worth looking into.

Home, The Hans Beekhuyzen Project

If the website loads in Dutch, click on the Union Jack in the upper left and it'll switch to English.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.