Building new home studio...need monitors...have $500-$1500 What do I do?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by David Sheldon, Dec 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Sheldon

David Sheldon Member Thread Starter

I have looked at these...

Yamaha Hs8,
    Adam x5 with sub,
    Adam x7 with sub
    Genelec 8030

I am primarily using them for mixing. The room is 12x12 and...currently untreated. I use a MacBook Pro to run my DAW and I probably will be getting a new DAC so advice on that is also appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

How close will you be sitting to the boxes?
    Are you trying to see the entire picture with accurate soundstage like you might have in a big room if you had the lots of space to play with and could move BACK to hear it?
    Or are you looking for real close monitoring to hear "defects" with a microscopic presentation to see "what is IN the mix" that you need to "fix."?
    Those are the TWO types of monitoring you have to use to get a project finished.
    My mix console has two positions for my chair.
    One is up close where I get an exaggerated picture of the "stage" with extreme separation and front row seat clarity.
    Then I can move back six feet and get the "big" picture of how the mix is jelling as a complete "picture."
    In my case if I wasn't able to move my chair I would use the smallest LS3/5 monitors real close up but set for a triangle picture---and as far away from my chair as possible might only be three feet.
    But as I can move my chair around I can use LS3/5s WITH a sub (actually two subs) underneath each box.
    This gives me a LOT of flexibility in monitoring.
    And yet even then when I am all done I still have to fine tune everything on a pair of far field monitors in a "mastering" room to really nail the "big" picture and be sure the mix jells as a whole.
    But I can get pretty close in my little control room using nearfields.
    Anyway---
    How do YOU intend to use them and WHERE is your chair?

3. David Sheldon

Appreciate the thought. My chair can move for listening but I will likely be close making tweaks most of the time...so mixing I am focused on some near monitors to really fine tune my stuff...I can listen to it once mixed in different venues if needed. Near is where the chair must be for this question above.

4. David Sheldon

2-5 ft from sitting position.

5. David Sheldon

"real close monitoring to hear "defects" with a microscopic presentation to see "what is IN the mix" that you need to "fix."
    definitely this one

6. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I recently bought a pair of the new Adam TV7s for less than $500. They are fantastic. Also treat that room!

McLover and David Sheldon like this.
  7. David Sheldon

I will treat that room.

Cyclone Ranger and Leviethan like this.
  8. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Good point about using both a near field and medium/far field perspective to get the full picture when mixing. I use Adam A7 monitors, and I can work on them but I know they won't give me the whole picture. So I like to check my final mix on an entirely different (full range) system just to understand how it may translate.

Btw a lot of tips and info can be found on Gearslutz, here at SHF most people tend to be from the listener side, instead of audio engineers.

David Sheldon likes this.
  9. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

i always had good luck with Dynaudio BM5a (powered) for home recording/mixing.

10. David Sheldon

thanks I just looked at them and will go take them for a spin. Do you use a sub with them. If so which one if not which would you recommend.

11. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I don’t use a sub with them.

12. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

" Building a home studio "Have $500 to $1500 what do I do ?
    For starters, get a real job.

McLover likes this.
  13. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

IMHO: JBL LSR305 . . . and pocket the remaining $1,300.

14. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I don't get it. Maybe he has a real job, maybe he doesn't. Maybe he doesn't need one.

Who knows, and who cares - all he is asking for is advice on purchasing monitors.

15. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Neumann KH120s work great for me. Near the high end of your budget but much more revealing than the Yamahas, which I’ve also owned.

I just upgraded my interface to an RME Babyface Pro.

My room is also 12x12.

Frost likes this.
  16. Wow, how kind of you.

17. David Sheldon

pretty sure my hobby job pays better than your real job but that might be incorrect and is immaterial either way...what a troll and a tool you are. Real jobs are for lemmings. I have clients not bosses and I have worked for myself for over 10 years. Maybe I'm the next great undiscovered artist maybe I already ...you don't know...you couldn't even advise on monitors.

Home studio is so I can finish a number of creative projects I am working on and so like any project I set a budget. Real jobs are for lemmings in my opinion.

Thanks to those who answered my question...I like the Dynaudio and the Adams suggested. Am going to listen to them again this weekend and post my decision.

18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Not sure what his problem is...maybe he was trying to be funny and it was lost in translation.

I've been using the same Dynaudio BM5A model mentioned for a long time and they are really killer. Snag a used pair on GC's site for $699.

19. I'm in the same boat as the OP in looking for monitors for a home-based studio. I've seen both good and bad written about the Adam X7s, but am hoping my local Guitar Center has them in stock so I can give them a listen. On paper, they seem great but obviously listening is the true test. I'm looking for flat responses though so the tricky thing with auditioning is that it might sound 'bad' due to poor source material but that's actually what I want (accuracy, so as to mix/master audio projects).

20. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

Right now, it seems that the favorites in the high end hobbyists range are Adams and Focals. Haven't sat in front of either myself but heard many good things.
    In my experience, I've spent many years working in different studios and most of the time, if the room is good and the speakers cover full range, I haven't found the need for a sub.
    This might differ between users though. If you're working on a lot of dance or hip-hop you might want that extra low extension. You can always start with mains and add a sub later.

I have a friend who uses the Yamaha's you mentioned. They are really good for hobby usage. I;ve never seen them in a professional studio but they are pretty nice for the price point.

What to you need for your interface? You mention mostly mixing but will you do any tracking?
    Common favorites are currently offerings from RME, UA and Audient.
    You should be able to find something from one of those companies that will have the right amount of IO for what you want to accomplish.
    If those come in at a higher cost than you like, take a look at the Focusrite line up. Lots of options out there!

Shawn and David Sheldon like this.
  21. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

[​IMG]
    I've had these YAMAHA HS50M Powered Monitors for over 10 years.. very powerful and detailed for monitoring my 'needledrops' however they are also great for EQ'd
    playback of any recorded music media. Perfect for LISTENING as well as MONITORING!

22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The Focal SM9 is certainly very good, but way beyond the OP's budget:

SM 9 monitor - Focal

Moreover, you are in small (active) ATC territory with the cost of the SM9, and I would go with ATCs instead.

Sorry for the diversion. Can't really offer any advice to the OP, other than to say that I can't stand Genelecs, though there are a number of users on this very Forum who do like them! Try before you buy!!

23. scott palmiter

scott palmiter Senior Member

it sounds like a dick comment, no matter the responder's intent was.

David Sheldon and Shawn like this.
  24. David Sheldon

Thanks I looked through their reviews as well.

25. David Sheldon

Now I just want to buy the focals I looked at a used pair for about 7,000 maybe my 2nd monitor pair... lol but Dynaudio is looking good as are the Adams.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.