Bull Moose......a class act?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MerseyBeatle, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Jerryb

Jerryb Forum Resident

They had several cds that I've been looking for years. Really hard to find stuff. No Amex. No Paypal. They won't even accept a MC or Visa pre paid gift card!

2. ggergm

ggergm   If you want to   sing out, sing out

Back in my retailer days, AMEX charged me an extra couple of points over MasterCard's and VISA's fees. I accepted AMEX but hated each transaction. If I was to have a store now, I'd only take MasterCard and VISA. A retailer can find relatively cheap transaction rates for them.

I understand your problem with Bullmoose, Jerryb, and agree to a point. I kept repeating to my salespeople that they needed to make it easy for the customer to buy. Another catch phrase I used was, "Get out of the way and let the customer buy." But at the end of the year, my net profit was always less than 2% of gross sales. AMEX ate those 2 points up. A sale using AMEX could end up costing me money.

Have you called Bullmoose to see if they will take a check? Get them to hold the CDs you want and send them a check. It might be a work-around.

googlymoogly and Jerryb like this.
  3. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I really like bull moose they got me some cool records sent from Maine down to Salem NH that were very limited in the past. Like Iron Maiden BNW RSD.
    One complaint is they do not get any EU/UK pressings or next to none. Newbury Comics often has superior EU/UK pressings in their bins a lot of times you won't ever see them at BM.
    Another complaint is particularly the Salem store, these people are clueless about vinyl care. The records in their bins are hacked and stuffed to together so tight it's pretty bad.

bru87tr likes this.
  4. Jerryb

Jerryb Forum Resident

OK here's what I did. For $1 at a local dollar store I bought a pre paid Visa debit card. I loaded some money on it and then went home and registered the card online. I used it for my BM order and it worked! Normally I wouldn't go this crazy over a few used cds but the 5 used cds I ordered are selling for hundreds of dollars on Ebay and Amazon.I got all 5 for $55.

ggergm and tmtomh like this.
  5. Lorraine

Lorraine Forum Resident

wow, congrats! that was completely worth the effort!

tmtomh likes this.
  6. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

what are the cd's? don't leave us hanging

tmtomh likes this.
  7. Jerryb

Jerryb Forum Resident

Big Country several of the Rarities cds they put out.

bru87tr, ggergm and tmtomh like this.
  8. MYKE

MYKE Analog Upstairs, Digital Downstairs

Just finished corresponding with Chris, Kiley, and Sebastian, over their malfunctioning Free Priority Shipping for orders over $50.00, and I either re-learned something I forgot, or learned it for the first time.

I was told that since my order was made up of upcoming new releases, they'd be sent Priority as SOP anyway, in order to get them all to me by release day.

There's your " Class Act." :agree:

tmtomh likes this.
  9. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I have to drive to Portsmouth from NY on Sunday to have dinner with relatives. Just noticed that the Bull Moose store is right around the corner from the restaurant. I'll definitely be making a stop.

Back when I was going to SxSW I went to a bunch of retail panels and more often than not, someone from Waterloo was there. They used to have a policy of accepting ANY gift card from ANY big box store that sold CDs. Their rationale was that they would rather have your business than the big box stores. They used the gift cards to buy toilet paper, cleaning supplies and other things they needed around the store. He even said they might buy one of their 'exclusive' releases to have in stock.

melstapler and chazz101s like this.
  10. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. Waterloo have always had the industry support and that was the main reason they respected the record companies by refusing to buy or sell promo copies of music in their used section. Was in Waterloo a couple months ago and although it's harder to find sealed OOP CD titles, they still manage to stock the latest releases by even the smaller artists and labels. The store itself remains intact, although the restaurant they owned next door has closed.

tmtomh likes this.
  11. MYKE

I will never take these guys for granted. I ordered an album, and a DVD on Thursday night, late ! Tracking shows me it'll be here tomorrow, because their free shipping was chosen by them, to be Priority !!!!!!

12. MYKE

@SJP - I received the above referenced package today. Since you were kind enough to share your warning about buying different formats from Import CDs in the same order, and how I myself was a "victim", here we have the Bull Moose way of doing business :

Yes, they chose Priority as their FREE shipping option (orders over $30), but even better, a large, sturdy box arrived. After cutting the tape, and opening, I find on top, an unsealed bubble mailer containing the used DVD I ordered. Underneath, protected by layers of bubble wrap sheets, and cardboard, is the album I ordered. BIG difference from the squashed album and CD combo I got from Import CDs.

Jimmy B., tmtomh, jlf and 1 other person like this.
  13. MYKE

More info. for those that may not know already :

After ordering two albums last night (one not readily available), I sent the Bull Moose crew a message saying that it was fine with me, if they just held one, while waiting for the other, then ship them at once (the order qualified for free shipping ).
    Kiley responded this morning that they just aren't built for holding anything. We order, they ship. Understood.

rediffusion and MerseyBeatle like this.
  14. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

15. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012) Thread Starter

Good article and thanks for sharing. Analytics and data is all good and very useful, but the critical component for a small business today is customer service. Good old fashioned “being nice, helpful, and knowledgeable”. My only visit so far to BM was to the Portland store in 2016 and the store was well stocked, but most of all, the staff were really nice and helpful. No music snobs there. Anyway, the author of the article mentions what I essentially said when he wrote at the end of the article

“...That includes store staff — Brown says Bull Moose now hires applicants who can connect with customers, replacing a previous strategy of taking on experts in music and movies. "There's a lot of considerations there, but we've found that nice people do a better job of selling media than people who aren't," he said.”

IMO, that alone is the key factor for success for a small business in today’s market.

Good for Bull Moose!

googlymoogly and jlf like this.
  16. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wanderer

Bullmoose has always done me very nicely. My local store does keep the vinyl section to close together, which leads to some damaged vinyl on occasion. I try to stay on them about it, but I'm probably just that pain in the ass vinyl guy to them. The used vinyl section put in this past year has had some gems, otherwise just a fun, friendly place to shop, as long as you pay attention to what you are buying, at least vinyl wise.

17. jlf

jlf Custom Title Unlocked

Does Bull Moose match the price if their competitors have a lower price on an item?

18. MYKE

No.

19. ron325

ron325 Well-Known Member

I didn’t even know they had b&m stores until I moved to Boston (I’m back in NYC now). I always liked their mail order due to their prices and nice vinyl packaging, but when I found their store (only went to the one in Salem), it was my favorite for new records.

20. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

The Salem store is great. I think I've been to all of their locations. The Portsmouth store is small and cozy with a great used section. I dont get up to Maine too often, but those locations we're always clean, with a friendly and helpful staff. I am remembering right when I say that one of them up in Maine is below ground?

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  21. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

Those of us that live near a Bullmoose (I've got 3 just in the Greater Portland area) can attest to the greatness of their stores. In just the past two weeks alone I scored a new copy of Beck's "Sea Change" Lp for 75% off at one store (nothing wrong with it, just an overstock), and a really nice first pressing of the Beatles' "Hey Jude" Lp for $5 at another store. Deals like that are not an exception, but require good timing. You typically won't find overstock markdowns or older used Lps online, so those of us with stores nearby get that additional benefit. I do order online as well.
    I've said it before, I have never had a bad experience with them in the 26 years they've been taking my money.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  22. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

Yes, The Middle Street location intown Portland.

Vinyl Addict and MerseyBeatle like this.
  23. PJM

PJM Forum Resident

I recently bought the Bad Company Swan Song Years box (new) from them. Good price and it arrived promptly. However, the spine on the clam shell box had a noticeable crease in it. Hate it when this happens.

MerseyBeatle and melstapler like this.
  24. PJM

PJM Forum Resident

Update: I emailed bull moose and complimented them on quickly my order arrived. I mentioned the crease in passing...and they knocked $5.00 off the price of my order! That is one cool moose.

25. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

On Aug. 12 went on vacation to Grand Lake Stream way up in Maine, a lot of driving! On the way we visited the Bangor store and the South Portland store on the trip back.
    Found some great deals!
    Then this past Monday I drove to the Salem store and traded in a bunch of cd's that I couldn't move here in the Classifieds. They gave me $90 in trade, I picked up 4 used cd's and the Tarantino soundtrack.
    Now get this, they were having a buy 1 used cd get another used cd free sale in the store! And on top of this they gave me points that I earned and I received the Tarantino cd for $5.98! I still walked away with $70 in credit!
    Bullmoose is unbelievable, it's like going back in a time machine to my shopping days at Planet Records in Harvard Sq. in the 90's. Back then I would bring a big bag of cd's to trade and always received a generous amount back in credit.
    I thought those days were long gone. Bullmoose rocks!