Bummed about Mom being canceled

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Atmospheric, Apr 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident Thread Starter

I really like the way this show deals with real life issues... relationships... recovery... how all of us are bound to disappoint each other at times. Well written. Well acted. I’ll miss it.

I’ll never understand a network keeping a clunker like B Positive and letting a truly great show go.

sound chaser and carrick doone like this.
  2. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

"B Positive" is from Chuck Lorre too. The lead actor might be in some hot water on that one.

I agree that "Mom" will be missed. It had a difficult year with the writers having to adjust to a key character's sudden departure, but the more recent episodes seem better. To my mind there are lots of stories left to explore with the supporting characters. There have been suggestions that it cost too much - they saved one salary with the departure of Anna Faris.

Maybe they could explore a spin-off.

If you want a show that should be put out of our misery - "American Housewife" - different network

Atmospheric likes this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Cancel culture is really going too far when they cancel your own mom. Just sayin'.

4. Atmospheric

His character is written so badly. I think the rest of the cast is pretty good. The story lines need to be less HS and more adult.

Bern likes this.
  5. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

That's the only reason I clicked on the thread. I just had to read the story of what someone's mom did to get cancelled.

6. colinu

I dunno - many times my mother threatened to cancel me. ;-)

Shambolicus, BZync and Veronica Mars like this.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

We watched it faithfully for years. It's funnier when you have someone in your family who's been an alcoholic. We will miss it big time. the last network show we watch.

8. More Than A Feeling

More Than A Feeling Little River, Big Adventures!

One of the lead actors quit the show. If they didn't leave it would have probably been renewed.

sound chaser and OldSoul like this.
  9. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

It had a good run-Eight seasons.

a customer, ted321 and carrick doone like this.
  10. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

At least your mom didn't do the:"I got the wrong baby at the hospital." bit. A bad joke that got old before I was potty trained. 21 years later,due to a spelling mishap,for almost a day I was looking at the wrong baby through the glass of newborns. 48 years later,I know my kid is my kid.

Mt.Elga likes this.
  11. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Philly area resident and not a Goldbergs fan? Wawa is doing a big Goldberg event right now. Seems appropriate,as Wawa convenience stores were approaching those awkward teen years about the time of the series' story. Wawa does lots of things right,but still can't make a pizza,even a slice,to save their goose feathers.
    As for Mom,I think the subject matter and its relevance will keep it in syndication for a few more years.

The Panda and Efus like this.
  12. Atmospheric

True. At least for me, it truly got interesting when they ditched the grandkids and introduced the AA recovery arc. That would be halfway through? For me Mom was/is unique in its ability to deal with serious stuff in the context of a half hour comedy, and still be funny. Perhaps only All In The Family did it better.

Watching one's darlings get killed off is the nature of watching network and cable television.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. colinu

I have said before that I am sorry to see it end. That said, it is leaving us wanting more. It has not overstayed it's welcome.

Allison Janney, Jaime Pressly and Kristen Johnston will easily move on to other projects. I think that Mimi Kennedy's character has been the glue of this ensemble, and that Beth Hall's character didn't get the attention it deserved.

Atmospheric likes this.
  14. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

Roseanne was another that could pull that off, imo. And another mom that got canceled.

15. Atmospheric

Well, I happen to find Roseanne to be possibly the most obnoxious person on the planet and I've never found her remotely funny. But I can also see your point.

ted321 and Chris C like this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

From my perspective, only one character was cancelled -- the show kept going with a new name, and it's basically the exact same show.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  17. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I have a lot of personal experience with alcoholics and I found the show refreshing how it dealt with the subject in an upfront way. These were women who were dealing with the wreckage they inflicted on themselves and others. I feel the writers skated around the subject a bit when the Wiliam Fichtner character came along then bought a bar but I wasn't watching all the episodes. In real life that dynamic would have had a lot of conflicted emotions and thoughts for Alison's character I believe.

What I really enjoyed though was the comedic interaction between Anna and Alison. They are sharp. They have what Vivian Vance and Lucy had - each a strong comedic actor and each has the ability to play off the other so knowingly. Alison and Anna just have that abilty to not be afraid to go toe to with each other. Anna has great sense of her character and Alison has such sharp timing against her.

I agree with others who have said the show could continue but only a few times has a show lost its major character and kept ratings.

18. colinu

"Mom" and "B Positive" have proven as fertile ground for actress Linda Lavin. She played Violet's mother-in-law on Mom, now she plays Norma - a nursing home resident and friend of Gina.

19. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I liked the original premise of the show with Christy working in the restaurant, with the 2 kids and stoner ex-husband. French Stewart as the chef was hysterical. When they moved away from that and made it about all these women in rehab, it lost my interest. I don't know any alkies nor have I ever had any of them in my life, so to me its disinteresting. Stopped watching.

carrick doone likes this.
  20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

They canceled yo mama?
    [​IMG]

...C'mon...you knew that was coming...

21. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

The show has been much better without Anna Faris. She always annoyed me. The dynamic between Alison Janney and William Fitchner is much more entertaining and Kristen Johnston has come into her own as a lead actor.

I'll miss it.

22. Atmospheric

I’m pretty disappointed with the last half of this season. The finale was especially mediocre.

23. colinu

I liked the ending, but didn't like that it was ending. It will probably take a full season, but I hope to see many of these fine actors back on TV in new projects.

The Panda likes this.
  24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I thought the writing this season was very strong considering they lost a main character. Yea, the last show was a letdown, they seemed to be going for that Cheers vibe of 'life goes on.' Everybody got a chance to flex their 'serious acting' muscles this year and I think they all were excellent, especially the woman from 3rd Rock. Alison obviously is one of those rare actresses who can do drama nd comedy well. And yes, alcoholism is in my family and the wife's, so we get more out of it. I guess it was kinda like Titus when the show was running on all cylinders--if you have had contact with those folks, you laugh harder.

25. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I agree

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.