Burial's Untrue: The making of a masterpiece

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remote Control Triangle, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Bleep has dispatched my order as of today. Psyched

Timos likes this.
  2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Wow, a BURIAL thread on SHTV!

Absolutely cannot wait time get this comp. Untrue is an all-timer for me and I am going to be jamming it until Tunes arrives now thanks to this thread reminding me of it (and huge thanks to the OP for posting that video—great stuff!)

3. Timos

Timos Forum resident

The postman delivered my CD copy yesterday. Haven’t played it, as I got a free 320kbps download with it and my separates system is in storage. Sad to say that 99.9% of my listening is conducted through my iPhone - albeit with quite a good headphone range!

Anyway, there’s nothing in the way of album artwork for the CDs. I’m disappointed, but hardly surprised considering the previous releases. Still, it would’ve been nice to get a moody black and white 16-page booklet of various lonely locations throughout London to ponder over as those dark sounds weave their way into the psyche...

4. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

I have obsessively listened to all those EPs over the years, so not sure if I'll buy this. Awesome stuff anyway.

5. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Ditto. I just wanted it all in one place.

Synthfreek likes this.
  6. Howard Bleach

is it in a jewel case or wallet / digi style?

7. Timos

Timos Forum resident

It’s a digipack.

8. mono.edition

mono.edition Forum Resident

You can get it in Bandcamp: Tunes 2011 to 2019, by Burial

englishbob and ralphb like this.
  9. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Yes, and you get instant access on purchase to download it in just about any audio format of your choice. Bandcamp leads the field in this regard

Marble Index likes this.
  10. Timos

Timos Forum resident

That’s where I got mine from - CD with download.

11. englishbob

The majority of CD1 is a tough listen for me. I think if you'd heard the term "genius" and "brilliant" before actually hearing any of Burial's work and started with CD1 straight off, unless you where an ambient diehard, you'd turn it off.

CD2 is much more like it

12. Howard Bleach

Isn't it in sequenced in reverse chronological order, though? Or am I confusing it with something else?

13. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

If the latest EPs are even half as good as Rival Dealer then I’m still so looking forward to hearing them (still awaiting my copy from Hyperdub...).

Timos likes this.
  14. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

I'm so happy that a compilation of the Burial EP's and singles exist! For these past couple of years I thought the days of having any Burial music post 2013 on CD was long gone. I haven't had a vinyl player in a couple of years, and don't really have a setup for playing music from my computer, so the releases since then has mostly been played through a crappy 40$ speaker.

After first play-through I really like the sequencing of the songs. The more ambient tracks are not my favorites, but it feels like a good choice to place them all at the front of disc 1. There are times when I'm not in the mood for those "tunes", and it will be easy to jump past them. Disc 2 is a bit more true to chronology, with every EP represented together; track 1-3 from 'Kindred', track 4-5 from 'Truant', track 6-8 from 'Street Halo'. 'Truant' and 'Street Halo' don't run in the same order as the initial release.

When the compilation was first announced the completionist in me was a bit mad that 'Rodent' was left off. But listening to this compilation tonight, it all sounds very tight and consistent. As much as I absolutely love 'Rodent', I can't think of natural place to put it. This set runs just the way it should! But let's hope for a Keysound/Hyperdub/Nonplus CD in 2020 consisting of: 1. 'Temple Sleeper' 2. 'Rodent' 3. 'Pre Dawn' 4. 'Indoors'. :angel:

Worth noting: the back of the digi-pak lists track 8 and 9 of disc 1 as 'Rival Dealer' and 'Claustro' respectively, but that's a mix-up. Track 8 is 'Claustro' and track 9 is 'Rival Dealer'.

Maurice, Timos and englishbob like this.
  15. englishbob

It is pretty much yes. Disc 1 is largely ambient stuff. In fact I'd probably say that it's not ambient at all, it's beatless Burial. For me it doesn't work as ambient

16. Timos

Timos Forum resident

No, it’s not in reverse order exactly - year-wise it is (pretty much) but the the EPs are not presented in strict reverse order. Personally I love the sequencing. I’ve heard these tracks loadsa times in the past, but listening to it this way shines a new light on the content.

Howard Bleach likes this.
  17. Timos

Timos Forum resident

I feel the same way about ‘Rodent’ - a good tune, with no place here.

Nice one on the mix-up on the track listing, Hyperdub!! D’OH!!!!

I highly recommend you give those more ambient tracks a few more listens. I think they’re stunning - particularly ‘Beachfires’ with those keyboards from an icy hell and ‘Subtemple’ with its tension-mounting fishing rod (?!).

Marble Index likes this.
  18. Howard Bleach

Did anyone else order this from Bleep? They sent my order on the 6th, no sign of it yet...

19. Marble Index

Oh, I've listened to those tracks plenty, around 100 plays each give or take, according to last.fm, and I like them. I just don't get the urge to listen to those two and 'State Forest' as often as the rest of the Burial discography. :righton:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Timos likes this.
  20. Timos

Timos Forum resident

Any joy? I hope so, given the time elapsed!

Howard Bleach likes this.
  21. Howard Bleach

Yep, arrived about a week ago! Thanks. Nice to have all of these tracks in one place.

Marble Index and Timos like this.
  22. Timos

Timos Forum resident

Tru dat.

Marble Index likes this.
  23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I’m just hearing about this now and see the CD is sold out. Might get it on bandcamp.

Just ordered the Hyperdub boss album Kode9 - Nothing on CD from $5.26 CAN new from Amazon.ca. What a deal!

Timos and Marble Index like this.
  24. Marble Index

[​IMG]

Chemz / Dolphinz, by Burial

Vinyl and second track are released on 2nd April 2021 or thereabouts, preselling now, Chemz is available right away.

Burial returns with a flash of light at the end of the 2020 tunnel.

‘Chemz’ is hooky, rushy and loved up - both an unhinged premonition of unleashed post-pandemic joy and a demonic flashback to past ecstasies in a hardcore style perfected in the UK. ‘Chemz’ is a 12 minute rave monster that has ingested several tracks and incorporated them into its distended body

releases February 28, 2021

Vinyl EP in picture sleeve - on presale for release on April 2nd 2021 or thereabouts

*Our preorder allocation is sold out, so please preorder or buy it at one of the excellent record shops as it will be widely available*

Timos likes this.
  25. Howard Bleach

I don't love the single but I'm glad he's back

The Four Tet / Thom Yorke collab was cool...