Burning SACD iso's to DVD-R's - how is that even possible?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by C6H12O6, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grigorianvlad

grigorianvlad Member

Thank you so very much for taking the time to actually find and read the manual for the UD5005. That is a basic step I should have taken myself years ago, but didn't.
    I tried what you suggested. Unfortunately, the choices the Marantz shows when I press the buttons are different. There are only "Audio", "BD" and "CD". One assumes the "Audio" refers to DLNA and such. If I insert the Martian BD, which is in DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, the player immediately switches to multi-channel. But there is no way to switch the TELARC SACD to multichannel. The description it shows is "CDDA 671MB", which is undoubtedly is the size of a CD (the 700MB CD size limit). The stereo DSD size would have been , and I am guessing, around 2GB. The multi-channel DSD content at least 4GB.
    [​IMG]
    So, this "CDDA 671MB" property the player sees tells me it is unable to see anything but the CD content. It seems you are correct in assuming there is something wrong with the player. Once again, much obliged for your (and everyone else's) help here.

2. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I'm sorry to say that many SACD players have been known to lose the ability for the laser to read the SACD layer of hybrid disks over time. If your 5005 doesn't present you with any SACD options, then the odds are good that this player has been afflicted with this all too common malady.

You might also venture into the setup menu for this player to see if for some reason it might have some sort of redbook-only mode for SACDs. This is a long shot, but it's worth investigating at least.

3. Rbeh

Rbeh Forum Resident

I believe the player has 3 lasers, one for Blu-ray, one for SACD and DVD, and one for CD. Can your player still play DVD videos correctly? If not, then that laser has probably gone bad, and that would explain why you can't play SACDs either.

4. grigorianvlad

grigorianvlad Member

Trying now, thanks

5. TarnishedEars

What is this belief based upon? Very few players have separate lasers for different types of media in my experience.

6. grigorianvlad

grigorianvlad Member

You were right. inserted the only DVD I have ("That's My Bush!"). The Marantz doesn't see it. Says "No Disk". But the same DVD plays fine in an Xbox One. Thanks, this explains everything.

7. Rbeh

Rbeh Forum Resident

Well, the three media categories use very different wavelengths (405 nm for Blu-ray, 650 nm for DVD and SACD, and 780 nm for CD). It seems like the easiest way to produce those 3 wavelengths would be with 3 lasers, but I don't really know if that's how it's done. I guess another way to do it would be to use 1 or 2 short-wavelength lasers, and use different lenses to focus the light beam at different depths in the discs depending on the format. In any event, in a given player I think the method that's used for DVDs must be the same as the one used for SACDs, so when it fails neither type of disc can be read.

8. TarnishedEars

In my (admittedly not super extensive) experience servicing both SACD and DVD players, single laser-heads were used the vast majority of the time. Only occasionally on some high-end players can more than one lens be found on the laser pickup assemblies. So my assumption has been that a single lens equals a single laser since different wavelengths have different focal requirements.

If correct, this would imply that the shortest required wavelength laser is normally used as the pickup for all media inside of most optical disk players.

9. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Sony BDP-S5100:

Will rip SACD's correctly but will not play SACD-R iso discs made from the rip. Machine reads "FAIL" upon insertion. At least I can enjoy listening to the ripped DSF files on my PC, signal fed through a Schitt Modi 3 and into a Sansui G-5700.

jhm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.