Burning Shed (UK)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by MythosDreamLab, Mar 20, 2023.

1. MythosDreamLab

MythosDreamLab Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love buying from these guys as they do not gouge on overseas shipping (to the US). Another great thing is that they take Paypal. The only negative thing, is they have a limited amount of Artists that they support. And since they are in the UK, there is no VAT or sales tax added...

But the best part might be the current exchange rate PayPal listed was .78 (to 1 US Dollar).

I bought the following:

Durutti Column: Obey the Time (Have the original CD, the remastered version is a 3-CD Box set for $11.70)

Durutti Column: LC (Have the original CD, the remastered version is a 2-CD set for $7.80)

Will Sergent: Assemblage 1 & 2: (This is the guitarist from Echo & the Bunnymen and this his experimental/Krautrock-like album, for $7.14)

No US retailer can touch those prices and with Amazon & eBay charging sales tax, its even better!

https://burningshed.com/

2. Ex-Oligarch

Ex-Oligarch Forum Resident

As a Durutti Column fan, this sounds great to me, but I'm getting totally different prices at Burning Shed: $21.90, $14.61 and $13.38, respectively for your examples.
    Is there a coupon code or special link to get the discount?

MythosDreamLab likes this.
  3. liquifury

liquifury Forum Resident

I see the same, higher prices as you ($21.90, $14.61 and $13.38). There are quite a few albums I would purchase if they were at the lower prices.

4. MythosDreamLab

No coupon, could they have just upped their prices?

I just doubled checked the invoice they sent me and it is in UK lbs, but prices are listed as:
    14.99 (x .78 = $11.69 US)
    10.00 (x .78 = $7.80 US)
    9.16 (x .78 = $7.14 US)

Looks like they raised their prices overnight, damn... still low, but I suppose I scored...

Just looked and the double LC CD is listed at $12
    The triple CD of Obey the Time is listed as $17.99
    The Assemblage / Glide Cd is listed as $10.99

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  5. Biittner Hair Flyin'

Biittner Hair Flyin' Comfortably Dumb

Based on the current exchange rate of one Great Britain Pound = $1.226, wouldn't this be:

14.99 GBP = $18.38
    10.00 GBP = $12.26
    9.16 GBP = $11.23

I added the two Durutti Column items to my cart and used the drop-down menu at the top of the page to convert to USD, and my cart subsequently showed the two items being $18.38 and $12.26, respectively.

As an aside, for anybody buying something from Burning Shed, if your bank will charge you a foreign transaction fee (usually 3%) for any purchases outside the USA, you'd be better off having Burning Shed charge you in USD rather than GBP. It seems that their conversion rate is not marked up, and by being charged in USD you'd save the 3% foreign transaction fee if your bank charges that for your credit card.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    marcb and MythosDreamLab like this.
  6. Jeepster39

Jeepster39 Forum Resident

Was just thinking about ordering from them. How often are coupon codes avaiable. Decent pricing as mentioned, but I'd love to save a few bucks if possible.

7. MythosDreamLab

let me back up a few steps,

I guess I misunderstood Paypal telling me their exchange rate was .78 to 1 Us Dollar, and I am sorry if I misled anyone, the UK pounds was $45 and I thought that meant I would be paying $45 x .78, but I actually was charged $58 (US Dollars), which is approx $45 x 1.3..

I does look like they raised their prices since I ordered, but their prices are typically lower than many/most of the US retailers, when you consider there is no sales tax added and their shipping is very reasonable...

Cheers

PS: I have never seen them issue any coupons..

8. Ex-Oligarch

Ex-Oligarch Forum Resident

No worries, Mythos.
    And even if you wound up paying a few bucks more, you'll still have some great music to enjoy!

MythosDreamLab likes this.
  9. rjraphael

rjraphael Forum Resident

If you have a credit card with no foreign transaction fees, you're better off not using PayPal. The 1.3 rate quoted above is higher than current (1.222) rate. A 45 pound purchase would be $55 instead of $58.50.

10. hubertfarnsworth

hubertfarnsworth Forum Resident

I ordered some signed stuff from Burning Shed about a month ago (the Bruford box, an Earthworks CD, and the TC&I CD) and it arrived in the US much quicker than I expected.

11. Biittner Hair Flyin'

Biittner Hair Flyin' Comfortably Dumb

That TC&I release is wonderful.

Rekkerds and hubertfarnsworth like this.
  12. hubertfarnsworth

hubertfarnsworth Forum Resident

But too short!

Biittner Hair Flyin' likes this.
  13. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

You multiplied by 0.78 when you should have divided.

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

And Paypal should be the last resort for payment. They charge you right away, resolving issues is more difficult, and the exchange rate/fees are not as favorable - particularly (as someone else wrote) if you have a credit card which waives currency exchange fees.

15. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Anyone have advice/experience if ordering to Canada? Not sure whether to go USD/UK… or skip this route entirely…

16. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Does anyone know if Burning Shed ever has sales or offers discount codes? I haven't bought from them in a while and they have something I really want and put a small order together to make the shipping cost worthwhile but would love an additional savings if they offer them.

Thanks in advance!

SJP likes this.
  17. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I've bought stuff from them off and on over the years and have never seen "sales" advertised. On the contrary they seem to sell the item until it is out of stock, then that's it. Other buyers may know something I don't.

18. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Burning Shed occasionally advertises a sale (such as their periodic summer sale) but if you go to their site, there is a link to specials.

Special Offers

Some discounts here are pretty deep, others not so much. There are 31 pages of specials to peruse so I suspect you may find something to help fill out your order. Happy hunting!

Fred Dender and hutlock like this.