Burning the Beatles Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Quasimodo, Dec 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member Thread Starter

I just received the Capitol box set (haven't listened to it yet) I want to burn the 4 CD's down to 2, so I don't have to worry about damaging the originals (they tend to fall out of
    the cheap packaging)
    I tend to prefer stereo to mono, so the question is: are there any mono tracks that are so superior to the stereo versions that I should use them instead.
    I'm looking for the best versions

2. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Well, apart from substituting mono for the fake stereo tracks, I'd go with the extra verse version of "I'll Cry Instead" and the single tracked vocal version of "And I Love Her", both from the mono Something New.

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

What Reechie said plus the mono versions of "Long Tall Sally" "I Call Your Name", "Slow Down", and "Matchbox".

4. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I've never had a CD fall out of the packaging. Exactly how does that occur? Are you putting in the sleeves in such a way the opening is in the front rather than having the spine of the sleeve facing front?

5. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

I put this box on 2 discs...You can get 3 of these Beatles albums on one CDR and use the second disc for the fourth album and a great batch mix of mono/stereo tracks as is your pleasure.

6. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

From your thread title, I thought you were going to burn your CD box! :laugh:

I made separate CD-R's myself. I put all the stereo on two CD-R's. I made two-fer's out of them. The mono disc's I copied on to one minidisc! The only way to go with that one! :thumbsup:

7. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

I was just going to put the stereo on two CD-R's and the mono on two CD-R's. Maybe I'll follow this thread and rethink my original plan.

8. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

Me too..I thought Paul or Ringo had come out and said that the Beatles were bigger than JC :D

9. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

Did you get the longbox version or the "square" box version, Ubsman? I got the longbox -- I'm worried about them falling out, too. It's hard to explain how the box is configured if you haven't seen it, but it is the dumbest box design of all time. The discs are housed in an inner sleeve the same size as as the longbox. Once you pull it out, the inner sleeve folds closed like a book, making a 5X5 sleeve that holds all the discs. It's REMOVING the inner sleeve from the longbox that's the challenge, because it's open on both ends. So when you pull it out of the longbox, the discs can slip out EITHER end. So you either have to have the longbox excactly level on its side before you remove the inner sleeve, or the discs are going to slide out one of the two ends.

I don't know if I explained that too well... you just have to see it to believe it.

10. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I can see it now(reminising of the Disco days)- a summer night in Chicago with thousands of fans at Comiskey Park(it was Comiskey right??) all coming to BURN their Beatles boxes! :D

Chris

11. I got mine for christmas - in the long box. When I opened it for the first time, I rested it on the sofa, knowing that a disc would fall out. Which is exactly what happened. It still annoyed me, even though I knew it was coming :D

12. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Just got mine for Christmas too and it was killing me these last 6 weeks not being able to hear it.

I just went ahead and copied each title with both stereo and mono versions onto a single CD-R for car stereo.

13. johnski

johnski New Member

that's what I thought. Burn it Burn it Burn it.

14. reechie

reechie Senior Member

What I did was to make a 2-CD version, two albums per disc, with all true stereo mixes, except for the songs that were in fake stereo, where I substituted the mono versions. I also made the "I'll Cry Instead" and "And I Love Her" substitutions I mentioned earlier, just because those are the versions I like better.

You could also argue for stuff like the mono "When I Get Home", which uses a slightly different vocal at one point, and the mono versions of songs from the UK Long Tall Sally EP, but in the end, I went with the stereo versions, as those are the ones I had when I was a kid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.