Burton Sweet on "Wonka" Remake

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

I think this will be great, and hopefully, it will be more true to the book (though I loved Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory).

As a kid, I always wondered why they never made a movie adaptation of "Charlie And The Great Glass Elevator." If Charlie And The Chocolate Factory does well, hopefully we'll see a movie adaptation of the sequel book.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I really disliked what he did to the great Mars Attacks! Card Series...He Completely destroyed the integrity of the amazing Non Sport Card Set...I purchased those cards in 1962 when the first hit the shelves and they scared the crap outta me...He made a joke and a mockery with his Movie Version...I hope he doesn't do the same with this project...Although I absolutely adored "Beetlejuice" and "Pee Wee" and disliked "Batman"
    So I guess it's hit or miss???

3. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

We'll see wont we...

should be right up his alley

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I think Planet of the Apes proves that Burton should stay away from remakes. Especially when the original is a classic.

Tim, stick to your own ideas! All of his original movies I would rate from good to great.

5. Michael

Which Alley? The Strike, The Gutter Ball or The Spare...;)

6. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Jimbo makes a good point. I absolutely love the original, and it makes a great DVD. I don't really see how he could improve on it, especially given the classic performance by Gene Wilder. Still, I'm such a fan of the original, I'll probably see it as well...

7. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

just say no to remakes, sequels, movies based on TV shows, sequals to movies based on TV shows, sequals to remakes, and sequels to remakes of movies based on TV shows. And now we have the onslaught of movies based on video games. Stop the madness!

8. Michael

The MADness will stop when the MONEY stops flowing...I agree with ya!

9. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

There were stories circulating 2 or 3 years ago that Marilyn Manson was campaigning to play the title role in a remake of Willy Wonka. Thank goodness that idea seems to have gone by the boards!:rolleyes:

10. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

So Scott - which movie were you Oscar nominated for ? :laugh: :laugh: :D

All the best - Andrew

11. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Yes Planet of the Apes sucked, but I'd like to see how Burton would re-imagine Willy Wonka. The original book was a little bit darker than the 1971 movie, I think Burton could be a little more faithful to the orignal text.

12. ashleyfan

ashleyfan New Member

I think if they're going to do a re-make, Alan Cumming should play Wonka and Emma Watson (Hermione from the "Harry Potter" movies) should play Veruca Salt. And I think they should either cast an unknown or someone with little acting experience to play Charlie.

13. Scott Wheeler

Did Andrew just bust me big time? I guess Star Trek First Contact was a sequel to a movie based on a TV show that was a sequel to a TV show that was made into a movie that had five sequels.

But there were no remakes!!!

14. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Will you be working on Star Trek Second Contact though ? :D :laugh:

All the best - Andrew

15. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I always wonder which Burton we will be getting. I liked Batman, but Planet of The Apes was bbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddd. Hopefully it will be cool. I always wondered how they would film The Great Glass Elevator. Doesnt most of the book take place in an elevator? Seems like it would be a little cramped for a whole movie.

16. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Beetlejuice was a good flick....

I like most of his stuff...

17. Scott Wheeler

Andrew, my days at Star trek are behind me and it looks like the franchise is dying a slow miserable death. IMO aside from my participation on it First Contact was the pinnicle of the franchise. my how things change.

I read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when I first heard this project was in development about a year and a half ago. I din't find it that much differeent from the movie. I agree that good movies simply need not be remade. There are plenty of stories that haven't been told yet by film makers. My rant about remakes and sequals and movies based on TV shows was about this need for safe productions. safe in so much as producers believe there is a built in audience to provide a financial safety net. It is a very anti-artistic force. I think things like the Star Trek franchise or the James Bond series or even the Godzilla series are a bit different in that there is a demand (or was a demand in the case of Star Trek) for a serial sort of continuation of new material in those genres. But do we really need a sequel to Scooby Do the movie?

18. Matt

Matt New Member

No, we don't, but when an exec looks at the opening day grosses of the original, they're going for it, especially if they can get the same cast again. Doesn't change the fact that artistically, it's a STUPID idea. Then again, so was the first movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.