"But this is deserves as much attention and praise as their masterpiece

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Penny24, Jan 16, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

In remixed form, absolutely.

J. Frank Parnell and Swansong like this.

2. I'd probably add "Raoul & The Kings of Spain" and "Everybody Loves a Happy Ending" (despite the mastering) to that list. Am liking the new songs, too.

ARK likes this.
  3. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident

The first Marshall Crenshaw (and it’s cover) are always mentioned, but Field Day (and it’s horrible album cover, but great music) is rarely mentioned. In fact, I only checked it out due to another post here about how underrated it was. He was right.

4. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Not as widely recognized as their terrific You're Living All Over Me or Bug or all the fine albums the band had produced since reuniting, Green Mind (admittedly more or less a J Mascis solo LP) is a great record!
    [​IMG]

Sean, Flaevius, Andy Pandy and 4 others like this.
  5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It's similar to Angel Delight but maybe a little looser arrangement-wise. The material is mostly traditional apart from a few in-house tunes and an Allan Taylor song, Lady Of Pleasure. Its centrepiece is the remarkable eleven minute Jack O'Rion, my favourite Fairport epic:

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. Great choice, and is perhaps my favorite in that run, too. Really, that whole run from Talking Book up through SITKOL is like one big project and is one of THE most spectacular runs in the history of recorded pop music, in my opinion. That is HIGHEST LEVEL.

7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Jack Johnson and On The Corner have become a lot more popular the last two decades, both with critics and fans.
    I bought them on cd in the early 90s and they were quite obscure at that point.

Big Fun is still quite obscure but also excellent. It lacks unity perhaps as three tracks are from late 1969 and Ife is an outtake from On The Corner.
    But it's wonderful and has a character all of its own.

8. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Set the Twilight Reeling

[​IMG]

Brian Lux and DTK like this.
  9. Yes! Right on, my brother. The whole album is great, but "Butterfly" is a truly magnificent achievement.

[​IMG]

10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Hello blue Lou :).

Yes this one is also overlooked...Egg Cream, NYC Man, Finish Line, Trade In...all excellent songs with mean guitar.

Neonbeam and Brian Lux like this.
  11. I really like this thread. Like many on this board, I suspect we "suffer" from the "disease" of when we find an artist we like, we almost HAVE to have the whole catalogue. In my rather large collection there now may be 30-35 different artists where it's that way for me. As a result, it lends itself to digging deep enough to really enjoy some of the things that maybe don't register in the popular culture enough to be labeled "masterpieces" but are really just about as good. Further, perhaps because they aren't played to death in public, we get a sense of discovery when we go really deep into these other records. This is perhaps the single thing that I get the most pleasure out of with this "hobby."

Man at C&A, Penny24 and zen like this.
  12. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

[​IMG]

The generally regarded masterpiece being Tubular Bells.

Sean and NorthNY Mark like this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'll play this throughout later but that fretless bass scared me! :)

carlwm likes this.
  14. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Hot Rats and We’re Only In It For The Money tend to be the ones on Best Albums lists. Apostrophe(‘) was his only Top 10 album, probably because “Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow” is on it. When talking about the George Duke era, most fans seem to love the Roxy recordings most of all.

I think anything besides those records qualifies here. One Size Fits All is my favorite studio album by Zappa, but it wouldn’t win a poll. Uncle Meat, Waka/Jawaka, and The Grand Wazoo also deserve more attention. I like the Helsinki ‘73-74 recordings, as well.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  15. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Yeah, although Head Hunters is the Platinum best-seller and tends to soak up the praise, I like Thrust better. And Sextant most of all.

Looking at Herbie in the '60s, Maiden Voyage is his widely acclaimed "masterpiece," but Empyrean Isles deserves as much attention.

420JJJazz666, Jimmy Disco D and DTK like this.
  16. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

James - Hey Ma

The Fall - Imperial Wax Solvent, The Real New Fall LP

Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse

Polygon Window - Surfing On Sine Waves - the equal of any album Richard James released as "Aphex Twin" and superior to a couple too.

Manic Street Preachers - Rewind The Film

Pulp - His 'n' Hers

17. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

First thing that came to mind. Not as incendiary as Marquee Moon but every bit as good. Everything that made them click as a band is there, the playing is immaculate and spellbinding. The only thing that could have made it better would be if the title track had been included.

Man at C&A and arthurprecarious like this.
  18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Now I'm curious: What do you regard as their masterpiece?

CharlieClown and bataclan2002 like this.
  19. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident

Beefheart has been mentioned, but I think Clear Spot is sorely underrated by critics because it’s not weird enough. Produced by Ted Templeman before the Doobies made Yacht Rock and Van Halen was still playing backyards as Mammoth. Great songs and most of the classic Magic Band. Probably the Beefheart album I play most. I’d also say that Lick My Decals is better than Trout Mask and definitely more listenable. Safe as Milk is a classic. I even think Unconditionally Guaranteed has some really good songs on it. Sugar Bowl being one.

20. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

A lot of great songs but they messed up with the production of this IMO. The songs were so much better when performed live prior to the release.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    Man at C&A likes this.
  21. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

For me it’s Songs From The Big Chair so far. I’m going to check out The Seeds Of Love tonight.

22. Allthingsmusic

Allthingsmusic Forum Resident

I agree the 4th album gets better with repeated listens.

Dandelion1967 likes this.
  23. hophedd

hophedd Forum Resident

Who airbrushed out the phone on the left side of the BeeGees cover?

24. Black Cat Surfboards

Black Cat Surfboards Forum Resident

Blank Generation is a masterpiece IMO but 5 years later, long after anyone expected to ever hear from Richard Hell and the Voidoids again, out popped a very good follow up:

[​IMG]

Eric Carlson likes this.
  25. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Best "Whiter Shade of Pale" ever!

Dandelion1967 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.