Buying a VG vinyl?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Positively Vinyl, Oct 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Positively Vinyl

Positively Vinyl Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Is it worth it to buy a VG record . The one that I want is kinda rare and the VG+and NM go for very high prices. What’s your experience with a VG record?

Jonahthecat likes this.
  2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Not good, esp because people tends to lie a lot and VG will most likely be BA (barely acceptable). Buy new.

rocnred likes this.
  3. VG+ and NM are meaningless classifications if the vendor is not trustworthy.
    Look for buyer feedback and be guided by that.

rcsrich, rocnred, markshan and 6 others like this.
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If it's from Discogs or eBay, assume overgrading. So a VG record is going to be more like a G+ record, and probably quite noisy with groove wear and scratches. If you want to subject yourself to that, have at it. I don't know what your tolerance for noise is or how revealing your equipment is. What is the record you're talking about?

The Pinhead likes this.
  5. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

I've acquired VG records that are super enjoyable and great values and VG records that are worthy of the trash. That grade has the widest berth. I'd expect an enjoyable listen with surface noise that doesn't overpower the music. I recently got an original Vertigo copy of Black Sabbath Master of Reality sans poster. With poster or in better shape, out of my price range at the moment. But that's a record that plays very loud for most of it, so the surface noise never really interferes and the sonics are tremendous.

ThinWhiteDuke, markshan and Rekkerds like this.
  6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Just hope the feedback is accurate, that people actually commented on grading, and that negative and neutral feedback wasn't erased by giving partial refunds.

7. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

But yes, either listen in person or, if it's online, it MUST be a well regarded seller or someone that is very very descriptive of what VG means.

8. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

I've never bought a record over the internet or via mail, so this is never an issue with me. It's also what keeps me from trying to sell my stuff over the internet. I don't want to risk trying to sell to unreasonable whiners.

And that was in no way a reference to you. It is just an honest assessment of how I see "sight unseen" purchasing of ANYTHING used.

I just don't need anything that bad - yet.

Rodz42 likes this.
  9. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

Buying used records online is a minefield. As stated above, buy carefully and on feedback.

greelywinger likes this.
  10. Positively Vinyl

Magical mystery tour (the german version)

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

That record was pressed a truckload of times. If you need a copy, look for one in decent condition or buy a later reissue. When a German copy pops up in the right price and condition, then buy it. Otherwise forget it. You're talking about something way too common to be worth the hassle unless your tolerance is high for noise. Beatles records are likely to be overgraded because lots of dumb buyers out there and sellers that think they can get over on people.

My 2 cents.

MisterNines and Mlle. Aurora like this.
  12. Positively Vinyl

Do you know how many of this release is available on discogs?

13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Forget about being fixated on the German pressing. That record has been pressed a truckload of times. If you can't find some other copy that is good enough sounding without being trashed, you've got problems. We're not talking about rare private press folk album here where only 400 copies were made. It's the freaking Beatles. Either find a decent copy in another pressing, put up with noise, or fork out for a top condition copy that is likely to be overgraded anyway.

14. spartanmanor

spartanmanor Forum Resident

Will the seller allow you to return the album if you are not happy?

No matter what a VG record will have some surface noise so it is also a matter of knowing what you are getting.

The most I paid for a VG record was for a original mono UK unboxed Decca copy of the Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request. I purchased it online from the UK. All and all I knew what I was going to get and I was happy to get a copy that I could afford.

I have other copies that sound better but this one has a special place in my collection.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  15. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I only buy NM- or better in 99% of purchases on ebay. 50% of the time it shows up that way, and 50% it's worse than that. Coin flip.

patient_ot likes this.
  16. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I don't recommend VG at all unless it's something that costs $150+ in VG+ condition. The difference between VG+ and VG when buying online has been insane in my experience. VG+ online is usually an acceptable, clean playing but maybe minor blemished copy, whereas VG is a groove worn, skipping scratched piece of trash. I've only payed for one "VG" record that was worth owning, only because it was cheap. $12 for a Monarch gold label Forever Changes isn't a deal you find every day, and $60-$100 for a VG+ copy just wasn't feasible for me at the time. Hold out for a nicer copy, you'll find one. This is a beatles album, not some really limited, private press only sold in a certain part of the country or something.

patient_ot and cwitt1980 like this.
  17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

All depends on the seller, return policy, your tolerance for noise on the record, the scarcity of the record. I've bought tons of records graded VG and never had any issues with them. I care not how they LOOK, only how they SOUND. I'm not bothered by occasional hiss/clicks. If a thorough cleaning is required, I'll do it, although normally a quick once over with a dry Discwasher brush will do the trick.

I'm buying for my own enjoyment, not as an investment.

Again, it all depends on what's important to you, and how much you feel you can trust the seller.

18. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I would put a WTB here on the site. I think the average price I've seen it go for on here is between 40-60 dollars for a clean copy. It's worth having at that price IMO (if it's clean). As for the seller online, I'd poke around and see how he grades other things. Every seller is going to be different and not all overgrade. Some undergrade just because they don't have time to listen to every album they are selling. Personally, my experience with buying VG is bad.

Veech, dasacco and astro70 like this.
  19. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I agree, post a WTB here. Lots of folks here likely have multiple copies. Heck, I think I have 3 or 4.

20. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Most of the comments here are talking about dishonest sellers, not whether a true VG record is intrinsically "worth it." A record is VG when it plays enjoyably with surface noise that is present but that doesn't overpower the music. If the record is unobtainable in better condition, then yeah, a VG record can certainly be worth owning. Here's Goldmine:

Many of the imperfections found on a VG+ record are more obvious on a VG record. That said, VG records — which usually sell for no more than 25 percent of a NM record — are among the biggest bargains in record collecting, because most of the “big money” goes for more perfect copies. For many listeners, a VG record or sleeve will be worth the money.​

VG records have more obvious flaws than their counterparts in better shape. They lack most of the original gloss found on factory-fresh records. Groove wear is evident on sight, as are light scratches deep enough to feel with a fingernail. When played, a VG record has surface noise, and some scratches may be audible, especially in soft passages and during a song’s intro and ending. But the noise will not overpower the music otherwise.​

Minor writing, tape or a sticker can detract from the label. Many collectors who have jukeboxes will use VG records in them and not think twice. They remain a fine listening experience, just not the same as if it were in better shape.​

VG covers will have many signs of human handling. Ring wear in the middle or along the edges of the cover where the edge of a record would reside, is obvious, though not overwhelming. Some more creases might be visible. Seam splitting will be more obvious; it may appear on all three sides, though it won’t be obvious upon looking. Someone might have written or it or stamped a price tag on it, too.

Record Grading 101: Understanding The Goldmine Grading Guide

21. Raynie

Raynie Hyperactive!

In general terms, it would be case by case for VG. If the title is something hot/busy and generally does well with noise like early era Doors s/t, sure. If it's a quiet one like CSN or Joni Mitchell, no. The ones in between, if the price is right. The seller would have a very low number of grading complaints, including comments on neutral FB.

For this one, I would ask how is the visual and the playback for grade, separately? Most people will grade and describe solely on whichever is better, and older 60s era UK Beatles records (Parlophone, at least) are known for playing better than they look. The seller may be well informed so you might end up paying for a G visual record that plays VG. The price in that case should be halfway between G and VG, i.e., next to nothing.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  22. Jonahthecat

Jonahthecat The one who buys the vinyls before a turntable

I can’t say it’s a good idea, I feel VG+ Is what I usually go for, even if it’s an old album, I still want the best condition for it, which I consider that to be it. Obviously near mint wouldn’t hurt either, it just depends how much you want it.

23. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

VG was once acceptable on rares....now it is solid VG- or less in '19 if you order from eBay-Discogs. Don't buy common records at VG.

24. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

buy whatever you want

25. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I would never buy a VG vinyl online.
    My local record store grades a lot of their vinyl VG & VG+
    They tend to under grade, so the VG actually looks more like VG+ & the VG+ looks closer to NM.
    Even their $1 & $2 records look clean.

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.