Buying records from Amazon

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Oelewapper, May 18, 2022.

1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Tbey don't just ban returns, they blacklist your account permanently if you make too many returns.

The exact number is a secret, and is based on a complex (not public) algorithm. But if your returns are a high fraction of your purchases, it can happen.

2. DJSpinner

DJSpinner Forum Resident

Have purchased a couple dozen records through the years and have been lucky with the packaging, but finally got the dreaded shipping sticker slapped on the cover order. Corners completely bashed and bent.

[​IMG]

Did have the experience of an amusing customer service chat, where the rep said, "I'm sorry you had an issue with I Am Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass" (the title of this Yo La Tengo record, in case you weren't familiar).

Annoying, but luckily in my case the return drop off is across the street from my weekly grocery store and they don't require repackaging at Kohl's.

3. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

:biglaugh: That's actually almost worth the damage. I'm sure they'll make it right for you.

DJSpinner likes this.
  4. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

All my records from Amazon have been boxed. I have noticed that a lot the cases where there was no packaging of the LP seem to be on the East Coast.
    What I have noticed is if you order some other items at the same time they will box them all together in one box...not a 100% occurrence but it may help reduce this practice.
    Even the ones I have received in boxes with other items still were packaged in a cardboard record mailer.

5. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

My typical Amazon record order is the LP/s inside a cardboard mailer, inside a larger box with plastic padding within.

fretter and fmfxray373 like this.
  6. elvismcdouglas

elvismcdouglas Forum Resident

I just went to return a vinyl copy of REM Up because it sounds like crap during the last two tracks on side 3, but was confronted with the following disclosure:
    "Opened CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes, cassette tapes, or vinyl records (taken out of its plastic wrap) 50% of the item price."

How do you like them apples? Not sure if I made some sort of special list, or if this is new for all vinyl returns.

7. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor. Thread Starter

Idk about the US but in the EU it’s illegal for a store to decline taking a defective product back, unless defects were clearly mentioned in the description.

Andrea_Bellucci and fretter like this.
  8. NettleBed

Just curious - when you initiated the return, what did you state as the reason?

9. elvismcdouglas

The disclaimer, to which I have to click "Agree," comes up before the screen where you pick a reason. It comes up for anything I return, including no vinyl purchases.

10. NettleBed

I would be very surprised if this pertained to anything other than refunds (instead of replacements).

elvismcdouglas likes this.
  11. elvismcdouglas

I just called Amazon, and the rep assured me that my account is not restricted in any way. Still not sure though. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but you're definitely correct about the difference between refunds versus replacements. I can definitely tell they don't like refunds.

12. NettleBed

The nature of the language (inclusive of VHS tapes) is indicative of it being old and on the site, somewhere, forever. It comes from a non-LP-centric era when music and movie physical media rarely had any defects, which meant that the real reason for returning something was "didn't like it enough" or "don't need it any more after I ripped it."

elvismcdouglas likes this.