Buying records is no longer fun (for me)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eetu, May 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eetu

eetu Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’m sure many record collectors feel this way sometimes, but after three decades collecting records, I’ve reached the point I don’t enjoy buying records. The market is ruined. At least for me.

Used vinyl record have ridiculous prices. For example, yesterday I saw a bunch of Townes Van Zandt albums, which I’d love to have, but prices ranged between $65 to $120. This is not rare. I rarely find interesting records for less than $20-$25.

New vinyl gets even worse. Limited editions are a drag and one only has a few days to buy before many copies end in the hands of flippers. The Who Sell Out mono is the most recent example of this. Not to mention record store day releases.

The problem isn’t only with limited releases. Finding many new releases isn’t that easy either and ordering online becomes expensive due to outrageous shipping costs. Or some go for over $30, like Lucida Williams’ Tom Petty tribute.

Finally, there’s the issue of pressing quality. It’s really a gamble.

So, that’s my little rant. It’s sad to feel this way, but it’s getting hard to justify spending money on records. There’s more disappointment than joy.

2. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Collecting records isn't fun for me anymore either, sold all my vinyl rigs about 5 years ago. :eek:

3. Do you need to get everything? Are you getting the stuff you really want?
    Patience, most prices come down or something is found at a good price where it is not expected. How many stores are in your area? How Discogs dependent are you?
    Aside from quality many of the problems cited are about immediacy. Patience, part of collecting is having Holy Grails, that something just a little out of reach, that somehow our lives will not be complete without. Things were easy now they are getting a little harder, enjoy what you have, the rest will arrive as needed.

4. jaypee65

jaypee65 Forum Resident

About 20 years ago, I used to go to second-hand record dealers fair. With 100 euros, I would come home with about 10 great jazz lps all in good condition.
    These days, nowhere near.
    And when I see the price for new releases on lp, I also refuse to plunge.
    It's a matter of principle.
    And then, labels blame internet for illegal downloading and sue music-lovers who refuse to be stolen blindly.

5. eetu

I rarely buy anything on Discogs and there are plenty of stores in my area. Maybe that’s the reason I feel burned out :D

No, I don’t need to get everything, but at the same time I don’t want to feel buying a new album is such a great expense. On Friday, I listened to the new Black Keys album and I liked it a lot. I thought I wanted to buy it, but the local stores only carry the indie exclusive for $40.

6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Labels sue people in 2021? I don't recall seeing that.
    CDs brings the most profit to the artist, so if you want to support the artist, buy the CD. Vinyl will always be a niche/collector's market.

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Not to mention we are not seeing those 15% off sales anymore.

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

It's tough out there, used records sell quickly at what seem to be crazy prices, with so many people chasing it much less vinyl, especially interesting titles, turns up in my regular haunts, new records can sell out in a day or two and then you have to go to flippers with inflated prices or as I do just not buy a copy, I'm trying to pick up a few titles for my nephew, records that sold well 45 years ago, have been regularly reissued and in some cases are in theory available new, but used copies are around £50 and reissues £30+, I'm not sure how a teenager just starting out is meant to get anywhere and that's with me on his side.

9. All first world problems, when there are still children waiting for their first Thriller vinyl.

10. eetu

Really heartbreaking from that perspective. And I guess we collectors are big part of the problem. It became to easy to pay a little extra for a specific edition or pressing. Now, it’s out of hand.

Dovetail7 and Tim Bucknall like this.
  11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

His older sister started collecting records over two years ago and has her collection listed on Discogs, even in the last two years there are new LPs she bought for £10 that are now fetching £50+ and a box set she bought for around £70 is now selling for £300, fortunately she likes a lot of Country and a few other things that have been bypassed by fashion so can still find plenty of cheap records to complement the pricier new releases, but my nephew seems to tick all the boxes for records that are in demand and therefore pricey.

12. Many Clouds

Many Clouds Forum Resident

I used to collect vinyl years ago. Started when I was around about 9. To cut a long story short I lost what I had in an house fire. I’ve been saying for the last few years I might start up again. You know treat it like an hobby. Anyway my mother in law got me a vinyl player for my birthday last week and she also bought me a first press of Made In Japan by Deep Purple. The wife also got me a first press of Sabotage by Sabbath. Both in great condition so it weren’t cheap.

The problem I have now is that it’s gave me anxiety and stress, no joke. I’m looking forward to collecting vinyl again, but they are so overpriced nowadays. Plus I’m not sure where the best place to buy them from . I wouldn’t usually pay silly money for first press, but they were birthday gifts so I’m very grateful. I remember the days where you could get 6-7 albums in good condition for £20 about 25 years ago. The stress of educating myself regarding what vinyl to buy and avoid is another factor playing on my mind. Sounds silly I know, but that’s how I am. I don’t want to build up this big rare collection of vinyl, I just want to buy certain bands I like. I mean there’s bands I don’t mind, but I don’t think I’d wanna pay the money to get their albums on vinyl. The bands I really like will take me into the hundreds in terms of number of vinyl, but with prices the way they are, I might have to be very selective, unless I get lucky and find bargains.

13. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

CDs for me these days
    Still keeping my vinyl and heavily modded Technics SL1200 but not played for months

somnar, RockRoom, Guy E and 13 others like this.
  14. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I agree on used vinyl. I used to love digging through the bins at local stores and I’m glad I did because I got some great stuff at great prices. Now, it’s usually overpriced and not in good shape.

I’ve had better luck with new releases however. Yes, they’re often pricey and sometimes hard to get if you don’t act immediately. I find the quality to be very good on most of what I get though. I do have a Vinyl Flat and Audio Desk U/S cleaner which help immensely.

Still fun for me but my focus is more on new reissues. Currently, I’m anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new Sade vinyl box.

ArpMoog, Carlos B and Tim Bucknall like this.
  15. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Ditto.

The whole vinyl 'scene' has become steadily cult-like over the past 5+ years, and I utterly despise a certain type of vinyl snob too (you know the type, where the format and collectability etc. seems more important than the music!). Glad to be out of it all for the time being. Haven't missed my Technics SL-1200G yet.

16. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I still have a decent vinyl collection, mainly bought in the 90s when you couldn't give the stuff away, but I agree - you need a lot of disposable income to consider starting a serious vinyl collection these days.

17. Many Clouds

Many Clouds Forum Resident

Does anyone think it will go out of fashion again?

18. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I totally agree with you. I never lost sight of the fact that it is ONLY an LP, NOT the Holy Grail.

I still like to go browsing and occasionally I see something I like but at normal prices. My gripe would be that the secondhand vinyl market is dying on its knees over here, there just isn't the same amount of good vinyl anymore.

I don't buy online because of the postal costs and it doesn't really bother me.

At this stage of my life, I don't need to buy vinyl like I used, so in some ways it is a blessing in disguise.

JG

Tim Bucknall, Tommyboy and timind like this.
  19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I think it's great. I have flipped records I bought for £25 for £150. It funds my hobby.

If people are getting upset about not having access to the music then fair enough. But if they are moaning about not being able to get some novelty RSD record, or some gimmicky audiophile pressing or something that there is a decent cheap CD out there then I have little sympathy.

People need to remember it's the music that matters.

20. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

I encourage everyone to get out of the record scene, especially if you are after the same things I'm after.

And what is a vinyl player?

ggergm, ODShowtime, timnor and 30 others like this.
  21. Emil Zatopek

Emil Zatopek Forum Resident

Then stop buying. I stopped buying CDs in 2014 and sold 98% of them. Best decision ever.

22. hakstone

hakstone Witnessing the prototype of the Eloi

There was a similar thread about ticket master. I'll give the same advice. If you don't like the game, don't play.

ARK, Andy Saunders, Score17 and 5 others like this.
  23. My Home Townes

My Home Townes Forum Resident

Townes Van Zandt records for $65 to $120 are pretty amazing prices if they are clean originals on Poppy

24. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

Try buying out of print cds or first edition ones. Ludicrous prices.

25. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I buy CD's but feel the same way about "record" buying...I felt over the past couple of years more and more items where coming damaged (new and used), with production faults, or not as described condition. Out if print CD prices have also rocketed. The whole thing stopped being fun. I was resenting the process.

So I have stopped (not completely but significantly), and I have to say I have found it liberating. I don't feel the need to get rid of anything, but I am really really enjoying listening to what I have. Removing the constant search for new albums, and simply enjoying those I have has been wonderful. It did take me a little while to get past the FOMO when something new came out (the new CSNY Deja Vu box set if the first CSN product I have passed on) but I don't miss anxiety of a box being delivered and wondering what condition the product will be inside and the disappointment when I have to start the return process (again)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.