Buying records online in the time of coronavirus

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by groover, Mar 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. groover

groover Forum Resident Thread Starter

I posted this on the coronavirus thread, but maybe a dedicated topic would be more helpful.

I would suggest people to buy records online with confidence: it's a great way to support record stores who are suffering badly because of the situation.

The most trusted studies tell us that the virus lasts a maximum of 72 hours on certain surfaces:

Copper: 4h
    Cardboard: 24h
    Steel: 24h
    Plastic: 72h

Which means that you can buy with confidence from any online source.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  2. The latest info shows:

24 hours on cardboard

72 hours on plastic and stainless steel

New coronavirus stable for hours on surfaces: SARS-CoV-2 stability similar to original SARS virus

The scientists found that severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) was detectable in aerosols for up to three hours, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel. The results provide key information about the stability of SARS-CoV-2, which causes COVID-19 disease,

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Cheers mate
    Good info

4. groover

Sorry, my bad, I copied the data wrongly.
    5h for cardboard is the time needed to diminish the viral charge in half.

So, yes: 24h for cardboard.

zphage likes this.
  5. homeslice

homeslice Forum Resident

hope we can look forward to some sale prices.

(is that too cynical?)

1st priority is that everyone is ok - hope you are all well.

[​IMG]

Johnny Ryall likes this.
  6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Maybe it is, but I don't think it missed the thoughts of any poster here:laugh:

7. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I’ve heard one scientist generally state that the Coronavirus doesn’t survive too long on porous surfaces, so only a day or so on cardboard, or fabric.

8. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Just be very careful about what surface the package touches. Open the package, throw it out, then immediately wash your hands. This shouldn't be an issue at all.

9. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Not worth the risk. And CDs better than vinyl because they are smaller so less viral load.

10. groover

Risk of what? If you are that scared, leave the package on a side for some days. And viral load doesn't have anything to do with the dimensions of a surface.

Lost In The Flood and Dave like this.
  11. Johnny Action

The larger the surface the more visions can attach. Simple geometry.

12. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

You do ***not*** have to throw out a cardboard package. Just wipe it clean.

MusicNBeer likes this.
  13. groover

It really has nothing to do with your chances of getting the virus from an infected vinyl.
    It mostly depends on the viral load of the supposed infectant.

But still, if you are scared I have already written what you should do to stay safe.

14. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Good point.

15. Johnny Action

Given equal viral loads per unit area (i.e. equal number of virions per square mm), the larger the surface area contaminated with a virus then the higher the chance of touching said surface (there's more to touch when handling it) and thus the higher the chance of being contaminated. Not sure why you think that's not the case. But to each his own I guess...

16. Paul C

Paul C Forum Resident

I think that we’re just a few days away from all e-commerce, except for vital goods, being completely shut down.

17. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

You can always play your delivered cd's on the computer which has Virus Protection so it should really be fine.

18. groover

Look, I won't lose precious time to explain you how this virus infects the cells (I'm a family doctor, I have treated three patients so far who then tested positive and I'm contributing to an epidemiological study). But the spoiler is that this virus is really good at that. A vinyl record, a CD, a door handle, he's great with everything he gets. He doesn't care about the dimensions of a surface. Assuming you touch your face, of course. Assuming you don't wash your hands pretty often.

So, if you are scared I would suggest you to lock yourself in the house for 3-4 months and wait. And no, don't go buying groceries because that's a place where you really risk to get infected. A goddamn vinyl album can't infect you, with a minimum of precaution.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  19. Johnny Action

Read up on the data my friend. Start with the NEJM three page Brief Communication out of Princeton published three days ago. Plastic (vinyl) and stainless steel: longest C19 survival times ex-vivo.
    So stop spreading misinformation. Someone who is covid positive has coughed on your precious vinyl record = pretty contaminates record for at least a few days. End of story. And BTW, I’m not a family doc, but I am a critical care doc, and I’ve been dealing with this s**t on the front lines in WA state for the past two weeks.

Car likes this.
  20. groover

Where do you think I got the information at the beginning of my post? ;)
    As I said: are you scared of contamination? Keep the record untouched on a side for some days.

End of story. Stop spreading unnecessary fear.

Lost In The Flood and Dave like this.
  21. Antenociticus

Antenociticus Forum Resident

Looks like we're all going to have to play what we have or go streaming...
    I just got this message from a Discogs seller:

Hi and apologies for cancelling your order.
    Sadly due to NYC's mandatory closure of non-essential businesses, we are unable to fulfil your order before the curfew.
    While this is tough for business we believe it is the responsible thing to do at this critical time.
    Please check in with us again once the emergency situation cools down.
    Sorry to disappoint you and hope to see you on the other side!

22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I'm assuming PA and NJ are going to similar, be it in store or mail order. They'd still have to have employees coming into the warehouse to package and ship and right now that's likely all getting shutdown.

Outside of maybe Amazon (assuming it's stuff being sold by them and not third party sellers), likely this is the way things are moving for some time to come. Obviously first world problems that I'm guilty of also....but I've increasingly been focusing on things like food and general home essentials. Music purchases have already taken a backseat anyway with streaming providing an outlet for new music for now.

Not a criticism btw, just an observation. I'm a physical music buyer also, new and used.

23. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

Conventional wisdom States this:

Coronaviruses are thought to be spread most often by respiratory droplets. Although the virus can survive for a short period on some surfaces, it is unlikely to be spread from domestic or international mail, products or packaging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.