Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 04)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2015.

1. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

very interesting observation

Maggie likes this.
  2. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Been aware of this thread for over half a decade....and every time I log in and scan the titles in the forum I see "Laura Nyro".
    Perhaps a psychiatrist could explain it.

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

McGuinn seems to have been in the habit of redoing an entire solo from scratch if he wasn't happy with it, rather than trying to "comp" it as he does in "Everybody's Been Burned." "Why" is a good example where there are still traces of the original solo audible on the track.

Perhaps this redoing from scratch was an attempt to save tracks for other purposes, although McGuinn also overdubbed extra guitar when he thought it necessary (e.g. the ending of the Columbia "Eight Miles High"). Perhaps it was just an attempt to preserve spontaneity. In any case, for "Burned" he took a different approach.

4. LOL. I’m on my armchair, so I’ll take a shot.

Looking at the title, two words , that sit together contain. many of the letters in the name Laura Nyro:...........Nyrds, Talk...........

Take a look, now. There are 9 letters in the name- Laura Nyro. 2 repeat themselves.
    That leaves 7 different letters.

Nyrds, Talk contains 5 of those 7 letters.

Now, if your scrolling the threads looking for Laura Nyro, it’s even easier to confuse them.

The Byrds should have covered Eli’s Coming!

5. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

6. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Also. I couldn’t get this thread to come up in a search!

I wanted to alert folks that Chris Hillman was the guest DJ on the Tom Petty SiriusXM channel this week.

Oh well, I hope folks heard it. He mentioned the Byrds quite a lot.

7. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I listened to the Turn Turn Turn album today. I often wonder, are all four singing Byrds on Satisfied Mind? Your thoughts?

pablo fanques likes this.
  8. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

My understanding is that Hillman didn’t start singing with the band until later.

Rfreeman likes this.
  9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It sure sounds to me like his voice is in there along with McGuinn, Croz, and Clark. Since he's the one that pitched the song, it stands to reason he'd sing on it. One of the things I don't like about the Byrds' arrangement in fact is that it has kind of a New Christy Minstrels feel to it, like there's a bunch of guys singing along.

10. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Don’t have it with me, but I seem to recall Rogan stating that the song marked Hillman’s singing debut on a Byrds track.
    :laugh::thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  11. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Yeah, me too...it's like a camp fire singalong :>)

czeskleba and Clarkophile like this.
  12. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

If this has been shared, apologies.....

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Up With People sings Porter Wagoner...

14. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

That’s precisely why I love it, a group effort. I’ve always thought Hillman did sing on that song. And I love Crosby’s high harmony.

15. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

Maybe they wanted a communal sound. Should have got big Michael to belt it out too.

zobalob likes this.
  16. Clarkophile

I know you’re being facetious here, but the sheer unlikelihood of this underscores the fractious nature of the in-it-for-myself dynamic that made the Byrds both fascinating and frustrating. Did Michael ever make an attempt? Hard to imagine, isn’t it? And if he did, he likely faced ridicule rather than encouragement. The Byrds were a ruthless and uncompromising lot.
    Contrast that with the comparatively brotherly situation in the Beatles. Let’s face it, singers don’t get much flatter or dryer than Ringo Starr, yet he was encouraged to sing. They gave him the throwaways and covers, sure, but a few years later he was given a top-tier Lennon-McCartney original on Pepper.

17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Ringo was encouraged to sing one song per album as a joke or a novelty. George Harrison getting squeezed out of the Beatles’ songwriting was not dissimilar to what happened to Gene Clark or, to some degree, to David Crosby.

18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Ringo was even given a hit single to sing the year before on Revolver

19. Clarkophile

You’re making a distinction without a difference.

20. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

George had to be coerced to write his first song, Gene was strong from the start, I think George started taking it more seriously around Help!

21. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Just saying that there were power politics in both bands. Lennon and McCartney squeezed out Harrison, and later started bickering amongst themselves over who would get the a-sides of the singles, a battle McCartney mostly won from 1967 onwards. Letting Ringo sing his one novelty song per album doesn’t mean the Beatles were any less competitive internally than were the Byrds.

22. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I agree with that. That Gene songs such as “She Don’t Care About Time” were squeezed off of the albums boggles the mind. Out of both bands, the songwriter who had the biggest complaint was Gene.

Hep Alien and Mechanical Man like this.
  23. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

At least it was released, he had a couple good ones that weren't even released in the 60s.

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Never really had a problem with the arrangement of Satisfied Mind, largely because it, along with He Was a Friend, breaks up the 12-string monotony that mars the debut (my least favourite Byrds album - shoot me). I will say though, that moment that Crosby picks out that high harmony on "and suddenly it happened" is a highlight of the Byrds' entire output for me.

Hep Alien and Dee Zee like this.
  25. Clarkophile

Songwriting credits and the royalties flowing therefrom are a totally different feature within the inter-band dynamic. I don’t understand the relevance of the dismissive “novelty songs” comment. The fact remains he sang, he improved, and he eventually sang lead on some of their most popular songs. Would/Could that have happened in the context of the Byrds? That’s what I’m asking.

zobalob likes this.