Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 04)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2015.

1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I quite like some of his Seventies albums. Open Road, Cosmic Wheels, &-Tease and Slow Down World are all worth a listen. I find his early albums a bit fey. A decent compilation will suffice for these, I think.

2. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

I was thinking Essential Donovan (2012 version) would suffice. I like that he does a track with Jeff Beck Group at the very least :p.

carlwm likes this.
  3. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I like all of Donovan’s 60s releases, albums and singles. He’s a singular talent. He’s more associated with the Fabs and the British Invasion than the Byrds.

4. Dee Zee

Essential is a good overview but the stereo remix of Sunshine Superman that came out a few years ago is great. All his albums are worth exploring but there are US and UK versions.

5. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Do
    Donovan was/is authentic, he was absolutely huge in the 60s...especially in the US. His beliefs and gentleness didn't sit well with the cynicism of some of his peers in the USA though.

pablo fanques, Bruso, Dee Zee and 2 others like this.
  6. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

I am familiar with Donovan and all of his major singles, I just haven't ever been interested in exploring deeper with him. And as a bigger Beatles fan than Byrds fan overall in my life, I know he was closer in association to the Beatles. At least in regards to going to India with them and teaching them finger picking.

I was just curious what Byrds fans thought, as he was folk/ folk rock from the same era and I have never really delved any deeper on him. Plus I value the opinions of this thread more than the main board.

Dee Zee and zobalob like this.
  7. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

I love Don!

8. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

I just got Essential (2012), 32 tracks. I will give him another go :)

9. Clarkophile

Rog was back on Twitter today, and I retweeted my question but no answer was given. Sorry, I tried.

10. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Thanks for trying Tom. I guess the provenance of the song will remain a mystery for now.

11. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Glad he is doing all right anyways...

Must have heard McCartney releasing a McCartney III and decided to work on a CCD II.

12. Yeah these folks have it right in my book!

Even two latter day albums are good - Sutras and Beat Cafe.

Ginormous talent and record maker. Incredibly versatile - defies the stereotypes cast upon him. The first stereotype was extremely unfair - as a “wanna be Dylan” - which Zimmy didn’t help - at all.

Sunshine Superman was one of the first smash hits that utilized psychedelic influences. It was recorded just after Eight Miles High, but before Good Vibrations and Revolver.

As far as Byrds related- not much , except maybe the Byrds in their pre- Byrds folk phase a bit. No real connection to the harmony, rock, twelve string of the Byrds.

Got to enjoy a brief meet and greet with him after a concert. Was awesomely nice.

Did that *star* trick of making like he knows you. As I approached, he did the eager puppy dog look, extended his hand and exclaimed : “Oh great, you made it tonight! How was the show?!?!”

We then both howled in laughter, when the main act, Dick Dale and the Del-Tones took the stage and the late, great, Dick animatedly exclaimed: Give it up for my great buddy, Donovan!

Wasn’t he just ‘BITCHING’!”

13. Clarkophile

McGuinn: 2 albums in 1980, City (top pic) & McGuinn-Hillman (lower left) both featuring Rog with his trusty gadgetry (I’m gonna guess at his insistence).
    First question: Why?
    Second question: No, seriously. Why?
    The third pic is just Rog with a transistor radio. I thought it was funny.

[​IMG]

Hep Alien, Chris M and Maggie like this.
  14. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Maybe you just couldn't get a picture of the guy without a walkie-talkie during those years?

15. Dee Zee

The deluxe Fairytale ( first LP) is worth tracking down and EMI in 2005 reissued his core albums in mono with a lot of bonus cuts. And a stereo a Gift from a Flower to a Garden was reissued around 2009. It’s a nice catalog to roam through.

16. Clarkophile

This...seems plausible.

17. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I have a Goldmine interview with Hillman where he says something to the effect that he and Ted Nugent are "on the same page"

edit: found it

GM: You should do new music. The new music of Crosby, Stills & Nash is amazing. Graham Nash has this song, “In Your Name,” which is him asking God why so many people kill in his name. It’s a prayer. It gives me the chills. It’s up there with “Our House” and “Teach Your Children.” I’d love to hear some new Chris Hillman material!
    CH: Nash is a very talented guy. I don’t agree with his politics or the way he looks at things. That age-old question of why people are killing in God’s name? Leave it to man — the fallen, imperfect species — to throw a monkey wrench into the beautiful Christian concept of love and forgiveness.

GM: So Graham doesn’t have to ask God why people kill in his name. He has to ask Chris Hillman!
    CH:
    That’s pretty much it, yeah. But he won’t. The theological ramifications of it are something I’m sure he doesn’t want to talk about. You probably won’t even want to talk to me after I tell you this, but I’m a very conservative guy and I’m very religious, too. I’m a Greek Orthodox Christian. Now that doesn’t mean I know everything. In fact, I don’t know anything! But, this I’ll tell you: Ted Nugent and I will be out there aiming our rifles at things. You get it?

Chris Hillman reminisces about joining the Byrds — and why a reunion is unlikely

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  18. In the video I posted -he gets into his love for technology and amuses the class in his love for “the IPod of its day - the transistor radio.”

He attributes some of this to his grandfather, an engineer.....
    .then there’s his chosen name and how technology contributed to the name choice.......

zobalob and pablo fanques like this.
  19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Huh. I stand corrected, then. I've seen interviews where he's talked about the well-known social conservative issues, but that's the first instance where I've seen him talk about an issue that isn't a conservative Christian concern. Ah well.

Maggie and pablo fanques like this.
  20. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Aiming their rifles at what exactly?

21. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Bottom left is arguably the most badass I've ever seen Roger. Chris looks like a Beach Boy.

22. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Also thanks for all the Donovan advice. Like I said i wasn't trying to say he was similar to the Byrds inasmuch as I meant he was from a similar genre (folk) and era, so I thought I could get some good opinions here. Again, I really respect the opinions of the regular posters in this thread. Donovan is someone I just never bothered to dig any deeper on and wanted to see what your opinions were. Thank you :)

Dee Zee, zobalob and Paperback Writer like this.
  23. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Give me a hirsute McGuinn every time. The City pic is just...disturbing

zobalob likes this.
  24. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

Please no!

25. LFSDoc

LFSDoc time has told me not to ask for more

Things.
    Beware things, Chris is out there!