Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 04)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2015.

1. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Well, I had already seen Birdman and Grand Budapest Hotel, and The Glory Stompers was third on my list... :winkgrin:

How can you resist a flick with a trailer like this? See if you can recognize Casey Kasem.

2. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Is he the middle guy with the beard at around o.28 seconds ?

Wow, that IS quite a trailer !

3. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Captain America and Billy ARE McGuinn and Crosby. I even read Gene Clark in as the first hippie to make a trip with those two, and even Jack Nicholson as Gram Parson. The whole film to me is Byrds infused. Talking about Easy Rider.

takechan, Michael Bean and Mr. D like this.
  4. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Yep, that's him!

Glenn Christense likes this.
  5. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

The credits to the cd only credit Gram Parsons but I can hear Gram with Chris singing on it. Chris supporting Gram like he did on 100 Years From Now supporting Roger.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  6. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

7. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Maggie said:
    Recently I've grown kind of bored with the Byrds
    I've been listening more than 50 years and haven't gotten bored yet. In fact slow learner that I am I didn't realize the genius of Gene Clark until about 10 years ago. I had always focused on Roger and was asleep at the wheel regarding Gene. I remember seeing a version of the Byrds led by Gene a long time ago and feeling somewhat disappointed that Roger wasn't there. Nicky Hopkins was on piano. What a fool I was!
    But what joy to discover Gene and his catalog of music . "No Other" is in my top 10 albums of all time. And his contribution to the Byrds can't be overstated.

8. Clarkophile

Anyone know the last time McGuinn did some shows in Canada?

9. nancybrooke

nancybrooke Not quite Senior Member

50th anniversary of the release of "Mr. Tambourine Man" today!

Rickchick, theMess, zobalob and 3 others like this.
  10. Clarkophile

Love that clip. But those bird houses...:doh:

11. Clarkophile

I find these little tidbits from Crosby immensely entertaining.

[​IMG]

keyXVII, zobalob and AlienRendel like this.
  12. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Probably because Roger let Cros do all the talking.

fr in sc, bonus, theMess and 2 others like this.
  13. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Finally a reason to get on Twitter!

Rickchick and pablo fanques like this.
  14. AlienRendel

The gentle tweeting of the Byrds.

15. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

First time the word "gentle" has been applied to David Crosby? (As opposed to his voice.)

16. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

OK, I need Byrds vinyl help...please. I already have good original copies of Sweetheart,Notorious,GH's and the Asylum reunion. I have no early ones and am wondering do I want the monos and if so original,Sundazed,etc. Reissues. Which later comps CD or vinyl and Gene Clark stuff is worth tracking down? Long lists with lots of suggestions welcome! I always liked The Byrds growing up in the 60's but the only LP we had at home was the hits.

17. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Anything Byrds? OK. Always thought the 1st press UK monos of "Fifth Dimension" and Younger Than Yesterday" were cut way too loud. Love the music but can't enjoy it fully on those. Also been told the US aren't that much better, but never had one to listen myself. Anyone here compared or have better suggestions?

18. AlienRendel

Just buy them all, for Christ's sake.

Rickchick and pablo fanques like this.
  19. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I took a bit of flak for this remark, but I think I might just have been in a bad mood for a few weeks. Or possibly I've just burned out on the first two LPs and Sweetheart...but over the last few weeks I've brought out the big guns, which for me are Fifth Dimension and Notorious (and of course the mighty Gene Clark with the Gosdin Bros.), and I've been grooving on them :righton:

Oatsy, Rickchick, sixelsix and 5 others like this.
  20. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I'm a Byrds fan also, I have most of the original albums in stereo and some mono and cd's from the 2000's reissues. I also have the first cd box set, the black one.
    I was wondering if should hold on to it. It's a great set of music and i think there are a few songs on here that are not available anywhere else. Need your opinion.

The MEZ likes this.
  21. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Me too, Ive been a fan for about 30 years, but only recently, once I read his biography, did I get into the importance of Gene. They are a great band with a lot of depth to their music. No wonder they were called the American Beatles.

jas621 likes this.
  22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

If you're a completist, you need to keep it. There are a few tracks not available elsewhere: Roll Over Beethoven, White's Lightning, Just Like a Woman, and (IIRC) Lover of the Bayou. Plus all the early 90s reunion tracks. And I'm pretty sure there are several tracks that have unique mixes on the box also.

bonus and mooseman like this.
  23. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Yes, my sense of the first box set is that if I had it, I'd keep it, but I have no need to make an effort to obtain it, if you know what I mean. Come to think of it, that goes for the second box (the red one) as well. Now that the complete original discography with bonus material is more readily and inexpensively available than ever, both boxes are pretty much obsolete.

mooseman likes this.
  24. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I had all the vinyl originals, all mono up to Notorious. Still have a few but not all. . I bought several of the Sundazed mono and I kept or re bought most of Gene Clark, the Flying Burrito Brothers, David Crosby. No Hillman vinyl but quite of bit on CD. The Sundazed 2 LP The Columbia Singles 1965-67 is a must own IMHO. I also bought the Sundazed first four stereo LPs deluxe gatefold vinyl. And the Cancelled Flytes singles box, also Sundazed is fun.

pablo fanques likes this.
  25. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Any news on "Requiem for the Timeless Vol 2" (or Vol 3 or 4...)

Dee Zee likes this.