Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 04)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Kaptain Beyond

Kaptain Beyond Forum Resident

Lovely band the Spoonful. My only regret for them was they never spent time in the studio, they just knocked everything out on the cheap. Until Zally was gone. John was on fire, so many great songs! I love this guy. And I’ve tried to love his albums too. A few times. They’re just too... nice. Kinda boring. quite un-noteworthy. Even a side long suite on The Four Of Us is dull. But I probably read every interview with him i ever come across. He was magic, he lived it, nothing that special lasts long. No keepers in the solo catalogue. I’m sure his fans will differ. I mean i liked Tar Beach some. And i even explored the stuff he did for cartoons.

2. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

I don’t know how much momentum was lost with the legalities involved with MGM and his first solo lp, but I think his career lacked fulfillment. Especially considering the heights the Spoonful reached.

If I’m going to pull out a solo lp, it’s Tarzana Kid. Maybe it’s Erik Jacobsen’s production, maybe the sidemen they brought in, but it has a more comfortable feel than John B., or The Four Of Us.

Stories We Could Tell and Face Of Appalachia (with a nice version of Dixie Chicken, a tease of a Lowell George tie up) are beautiful, and nice versions of Sitting Here In Limbo, and a couple early Spoonful covers.

3. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

I do really like the 2 J Band albums, a lot. Not a lot of original material, and not sure if it would be considered solo. But real nice stuff, Geoff Mulduar, and all.

pablo fanques likes this.
  4. Kaptain Beyond

Yep, about as good as it gets. He had dalliances with Little Feat and NRBQ, i just wish they had made some albums together proper.

5. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I have a serious soft spot for the Spoonful, especially in mono, but completely ignorant of Sebastian’s solo work beyond Woodstock and Welcome Back Kotter.

6. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

I really enjoy Cheapo Cheapo Productions Real Live John Sebastian and I like his version of Dixie Chicken and the track with Ry Cooder, so part of Tarzana Kid... but ya I struggle with his solo work. Its very... bland I guess.

7. Kaptain Beyond

There’s another guy he should make proper albums with, geoff muldaur.

8. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Aye, mateys. Mister Jolly Rogerson be a-postin’ marr of ‘dem sea shanties, doncha know. Yar.

9. Kaptain Beyond

least it ain’t aboot jeezus

10. Beatles_Apple

Beatles_Apple Forum Resident

That hat has to go...

carlwm likes this.
  11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Once had the delight of seeing a triple bill of Croz (headliner), McGuinn, and Sebastian that included a brief Croz/McGuinn set. Beacon Theatre early 80s.

Believe it was a benefit for an NYC public radio station

12. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

He has got his whalin' cap on. Love the nautical themed painting in the background too.

This guy is a such a dork... but a lovable dork.

13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's great! :righton:

14. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

I love the guitar sound, it still has that ominous *spook* that I associate so much with Rog.
    The hat? Yar, I believe it be wot master Om be sayin, b’y; tis a proper whalin’ cap, doncha know.

15. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

This probably made @carlwm day.

zobalob, carlwm and Clarkophile like this.
  16. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Does Roger just turn on double track and crank the echo to 11 on every recording now? Is it his way of getting Crosby harmonies without actually having to associate with him?

zobalob and Clarkophile like this.
  17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Indeed! :righton:

It's got me wondering about the possibility of CCD Volume 2. Oh well. I can dream! :D

18. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Agreed! Love this stuff... have his Folk Den box from awhile back... great stuff

carlwm likes this.
  19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Roger is an excellent singer of folk songs. :righton:

zobalob and YardByrd like this.
  20. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

LOL

The way shanties are trending CCD2 could be topping the charts.

YardByrd and carlwm like this.
  21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Wouldn't that be a fine thing? :D

YardByrd likes this.
  22. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

It'd be you, YardByrd and a bunch of young trendy hipsters lining up for the vinyl release.

Free whalin' toque with the first 100,000 copies.

YardByrd, Clarkophile and carlwm like this.
  23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Are you trying to tell me that I'm not a young, trendy hipster?!!? :yikes:

You would be right, of course. :agree:

24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Sebastian is one of those great songwriters who really needed a great band (not a collection of musicians, but a band) to bring his songs to life. And like Pete Townshend and Paul Westerberg, his work suffered notably when he didn’t have that.

25. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

where in Canada are you? I haven't heard "toque" since I was a child... both sides of my family are Quebecois and in New England my friends would howl with laughter when my mom said, "Don't forget your toque!" as I walked out the door to go sledding...

Anyhoo, yeah, I wouldn't mind an LP of McGuinn sea shanties, but, man, they'd have to be curated and sequenced JUST right... they do get repetitive if one's not careful! Also, he'd have to go to a real studio to record 'em straight to tape, which I bet he'd be unwilling to do even if there was no Corona...

pablo fanques and carlwm like this.