Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 04)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Kaptain Beyond

Kaptain Beyond Forum Resident

I’m okay w one shanty per album. Heave Away, Jolly Roger, Space Odyssey bein my fave.

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs and YardByrd like this.
  2. Kaptain Beyond

Espece de modi toque tabarnouche!

YardByrd likes this.
  3. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

You don't strike me as one. Soft country rock, folk and bluegrass aren't hip with the youth of today. :p

carlwm likes this.
  4. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

I am in the same boat, pardon the pun.

5. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

I am from BC, so the need for a toque is minimal except for the trendiness factor. I don't like em, too hot for our climate.

I trust you have heard CCD?

YardByrd likes this.
  6. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

the differences in generations worked out to my pépère was all "sacre bleu" while my father was all "tabernac" but I wasn't even allowed to speak French since my father - who didn't learn English til he went to kindergarten with Anglos - was beat up by the Anglos for being a Francophone...

7. YardByrd

yes, I had - note past tense - a copy... it was none of what I described above - carefully curated or analog recording! A few listens and it disappeared; where I know not or care not!

carlwm likes this.
  8. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Yeah...

We learn French up to a certain point over here, but I'll be damned if I have heard a single person speak it or even be half-fluent in it in years.

YardByrd likes this.
  9. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Good for you for making it through a couple listens...

carlwm and YardByrd like this.
  10. YardByrd

I love Roger - probably the most of all the band members and sometimes I think he might be my favorite American musician of the '60s - but I'm burned on his home recordings... I just wish he'd go to a nice analog studio and record these things to tape and mix to tape.... they're simple folk songs and wouldn't require tons of production, but they'd benefit from this approach... and I say this as someone who loves his Folk Den box set... I just think if he's trying to preserve the legacy of this material that would benefit it the most... cause as Clarkophile notes, his guitar still has the spook, the magic... and he's still in good voice for this material...

11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I like CCD a lot but it's a maritime themed rather than shanty album. It's split fairly evenly between the latter and nautical ballads. The single McGuinn original is very good.

YardByrd likes this.
  12. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

I am done with it too. I have the 22 Timeless Classics comp and that's enough for me.

carlwm and YardByrd like this.
  13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Speaking of Roger in Jolly mode, the folk den section of his wikipedia page lists an album called The Sea, from 2003, and I'm struggling to find any info on it on-line. Anybody got a track listing or know anything else about it?

14. YardByrd

I would guess that's the CCD, you know Sea CD...

15. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OMG. Is that honestly why it is called that? I had never put it together.

Is CCD just a selection of his Folk Den boxset related to the sea?

YardByrd and carlwm like this.
  16. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

I gotta say, despite not loving his output lately, I respect guys like him for just continuing to make and release music. So often, around here especially, artists like Nick Drake, Judee Sill, etc. etc. are deified because they made such a small output and then succumbed to issues or disappeared, etc. But the guys that just keep plugging along for the joy of music and because they love it get told to pack it in... bollocks. Keep on keepin' on Roger, Chris, David, Paul, Ringo, Bob Weir, Van, Eric, Phil Lesh and all you guys. You are some of the lone survivors of a musical generation and you deserve all the appreciation and accolades for surviving the excess and the rigors of the business. Thanks for continuing to find ways to do what you love.

jas621, carlwm, AlienRendel and 3 others like this.
  17. Good to see Roger without his “Western Brim”.

On second thought............;););)

pablo fanques and carlwm like this.
  18. With St. Patrick’s Day Around the corner, here’s Roger with his old guitar/banjo teacher, Singing up an old Irish tune, in a rollicking manner.

In fact I’d love a new recording , all on one new CD, of traditional and non -traditional Irish Folk tunes.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    CCrider92, pablo fanques and carlwm like this.
  19. .......and here’s another......

carlwm likes this.
  20. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I find it interesting that guys like McGuinn and other musicians from his era a few years older than me who created music I love were inspired by music that doesn’t mean much to me.

All their early influences got stirred in a big pot though and the result was Byrds music or Kinks music or Lovin’ Spoonful music, etc.

The early big musical influences I have might not mean much to younger folks either.

That’s the musical cycle of life I guess.

One thing that might have changed though is when I was a kid I’d hear Sinatra or Herb Alpert, or Richard Harris, etc., on the AM radio between Byrds and Stones songs whether I wanted to or not. That might have been good for me musically I guess . The next generation probably got their musical diversity from FM radio .

Now people can “just” listen to heavy metal, rap, Americana or whatever specific genre they prefer.

It is what it is and I’m not sure if that’s good or bad .

Sorry, for thinking out loud here but seeing Roger with his folk music got me thinking about it. :D

21. Kaptain Beyond

Modern life is rubbish

22. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

No, you can say that but that’s not my point at all.

Things change and people adapt to whatever the current situation is .

With all the YouTube videos and software to slow guitar solos down but maintain the correct pitch I’m certain I’d be a much better guitar player than I am if I had those tools at 13 or whenever .

We had better get back to the Byrds etc here.
    I don’t want to start arguments

DmitriKaramazov and carlwm like this.
  23. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

All I will add is that I hate when groups are judged on the standards of today or the technology of today when they made their records in the early 60s. A lot of these guys learned by ear by listening to the radio or the odd record and what came out on a take is what was released often due to time constrictions. Absolutely phenomenal in retrospect. Especially the sheer volume and quantum leaps in creativity.

24. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

It should be possible to make the same point without resorting to vague, manufactured arguments about some bizarre concept of the deification of artists who died young. You offer no examples of this, only a transparent contempt for people who hold such artists in higher esteem than you.
    Longevity is not, in and of itself, laudable.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  25. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

You're probably right but it's listed separately so I wondered whether it was a different set of songs.

YardByrd likes this.