Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 04)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Kaptain Beyond

Kaptain Beyond Forum Resident

And the Space Shanty, let’s not forget that.

Earscape and Robyrdt like this.
  2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Isn't is Crosby who is playing the rhythmic riff that Asheton copied (ie, the guitar on the left starting at :50)? So he's the one who deserves the credit.

3. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

Tbf there's like 6 bands with similar arrangements around that time including The Leaves, Love, The Creation, The Standells, etc.

4. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

And I know we're being silly but I'm gonna go on a limb and credit the psych and garage bands of the mid 60s for punk :p

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

According to Crosby, he was the first and they were all copying his arrangement (listen at 2:26 in this clip):

6. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Well it must be true if Croz of 67 said it haha.

Another asshat from that time, Dino Valenti, claimed to have wrote Hey Joe and I believe got taken to court by Billy Roberts.

ExHead likes this.
  7. Kaptain Beyond

Hmmm very good point. I just assume Rog plays all the guitars on this record. But it’s a Crosby-Hillman composition so it’s him or Chris came up with that part. I Roger’s response to my tweet informing him of the influence on Asheton he certainly didn’t defer any credit to Croz.

8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

If Roger isn’t familiar with the song 1969 then he wouldn’t know which guitar part had been copied, his or Crosby’s (the article doesn’t make it clear). The part in question sounds like something Crosby would play, and I assume Roger is on the right channel playing the acid-rock fills concurrently.

zobalob, LFSDoc and Kaptain Beyond like this.
  9. Kaptain Beyond

Good points. Also the article states quite clearly which guitar part is being referred to as being copied. And yeah that would be Rog on the acid rock fills, very similar to those he plays on Bad Night At The Whiskey and Candy etc. It would make sense that Crosby plays the two note riff unless Roger recorded those parts after David left. Also the question now is who wrote that riff since the composition is shared with Chris.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  10. Kaptain Beyond

Someone posted individual recording data for the songs on NBB. Crosby is obviously on it, he’s singing it. However who knows how much re-recording or changing of things went on after he was gone.

11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Based on what I’ve read, none. The track was completed before Crosby left.

12. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Crosby didn’t leave.

13. Kaptain Beyond

That’s beside the point. :rolleyes:

14. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

The Byrds were hippies?

15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I didn’t say he chose to leave. They fired him and he left.

ExHead, Clarkophile and Robyrdt like this.
  16. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

There was an old interview with Sandy Pearlman where the latter claimed to have coined the phrase "heavy metal" in a rock & roll context in his Notorious review, specifically in reference to "Artificial Energy."

McGuinn seemed pretty chuffed to be associated with the idea.

Kaptain Beyond and zobalob like this.
  17. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

I don't remember where I read this but along with the usual list of genres that The Byrds have been credited with inventing was added (presumably with tongue firmly in cheek) 'vacuum cleaner rock' (2-4-2 Foxtrot) and 'rubber band rock' (Moog Raga).

18. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

In an early review, the Jesus & Mary Chain were described as sounding like "listening to the Byrds next to an air conditioner." The Byrds, innovators that they were, got there first with "2-4-2 Foxtrot."

19. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

”Tribal Gathering” may be a better song than the Stooges track it inspired. That was an uncalled for putdown by the jouralist.

20. Safeway 2

Safeway 2 Forum Resident

Hillman still can't resist kicking dirt on Parson's grave.

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs likes this.
  21. Untitled

Untitled Forum Resident

I didn't infer that at all from Chris. But he was right that Gram's family wealth might have gotten in the way of his career. In his undisciplined way, Gram drifted from one thing to another so that it is anyone's guess about whether he would have remained a musician, especially if Warner had eventually dropped him for poor sales.

ssmith3046 and AlienRendel like this.
  22. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Today on twitter, someone asked Rog to recommend some Byrds to a newbie. He suggested starting with Notorious and Younger.

23. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Saw McGuinn last night in New York. It was pretty much the same show he did when I saw him more than 25 years ago. Still enjoyable. He played the 7 string most of the night. One thing I didn’t like was that he performed truncated versions of some songs. The first time I saw him, he played the Turn Turn Turn solo perfectly. This time, he skipped it. I don’t understand why he would do that.

The crowd was good except for some ***** who had to clap loudly every time Roger mentioned a person’s name, or a movie, or made a reference to almost anything. It was obviously because he wanted all of us (and Roger) to know that he was hip to all of the info. Can’t stand guys like that. You’re not the only person who knows who Peter Fonda is, ya jerk.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  24. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

[QUOTE="The crowd was good except for some ***** who had to clap loudly every time Roger mentioned a person’s name, or a movie, or made a reference to almost anything. It was obviously because he wanted all of us (and Roger) to know that he was hip to all of the info. Can’t stand guys like that. You’re not the only person who knows who Peter Fonda is, ya jerk.[/QUOTE]

I have a bootleg McGuinn show, I forget which one, where it seems like all he does is reference other famous people in the between song banter. Dylan, Fonda, McCartney, Harrison, Candace Bergen, ...it just goes on and on and on. But he didn't mention Gene Clark's name, even when performing Feel A Whole Lot Better.

AlienRendel likes this.
  25. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

... and in the ever expanding category of what the Byrds should have done, today's suggestion is cover 'Gates of Eden'. Would have fit nicely on any of their post Sweetheart albums. Arlo's version's provides a hint of what it might have sounded like, with Clarence and Ry Cooder nicely playing off each other: