Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 04)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I thought IICORMN was one of the worst albums I had heard when I bought it. I now consider it among my top 50.

Dee Zee likes this.
  2. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

I love If I Could Only Remember My Name. :D
    Together with No Other the best/outstanding solo Byrds releases! :righton:

D.B., zobalob, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  3. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Over the weekend I put together a Best of Gene Clark collection. Starting with the Byrds and ending with Fair and Tender Ladies. It spans 4 80 minute CDs. Some of his albums are so good it’s hard to whittle the list down. I’m going to create an mp3 one disc version as well.

jas621, olschl, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  4. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

So is/was Christine Hinton famous then? Why were the Burritos singing a song about her?! And did Crosby know about this song when he did backing vocals on Do Right Woman if she was the love of his life?

DmitriKaramazov and Alien Reg like this.
  5. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I just found the booklet for the box set; Al Kooper plays keys on Love that Never Dies. I think he lived in Nashville at the time.

6. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Yes, he's difficult (but a pleasure) to compile.

Anyone done a whittling down of No Other? (I've forgotten what they call it on this forum - where fans slug it out over so-called classic albums, reducing them to one or two tracks and a pile of ash.) I could live without "Some Misunderstanding" and "The True One". Round 1 ..... ! :hide:

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

She wasn't famous, but she apparently got to know the Byrds by virtue of being founder of the Byrds International Fan Club, and she supposedly was part of the groupie scene at the time (circa 1967). Obviously Chris had some negative interactions with her at some point, and possibly Gram did also since he traveled in the same social circles as the Byrds in the year before he joined the band. I'm guessing they didn't tell Crosby that they had a poison pen song written about his girlfriend when he came in to do his guest vocals. I don't think Crosby has ever talked about "Devil in Disguise." Someone who has a twitter account should ask him about it (I don't, or I would).

indigo_m, Hep Alien and Ma Kelly like this.
  8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

"The True One" is the best song on the album. Stay under that damn chair!

9. Dee Zee

I only have 4 cuts from No Other:
    Life’s Greatest Fool
    Silver Raven
    No Other and
    The True One

Over the years I find the No Other album a bit overproduced. I much prefer White Light and Two Sides to Every Story now that a decent remaster was issued.

olschl and Bonddm like this.
  10. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Thanks. I did try to google her but didn't bring up too much info. Ha I did consider tweeting Crosby as he seems to answer pretty much anything, but I think that's one question I'd be too scared to ask! Maybe we could persuade Ted Nugent to tweet him (er...if if you don't have twitter, they seem to hate each other unsurprisingly).

11. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Here’s an example!
    David Crosby on Twitter

12. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Sorry, but it's one of his worst lyrics. And the melody is hackneyed.
    "Some Misunderstanding" is a dirge - the alt. take is preferable though still not a great listen.
    Having said that, the other 6 tracks are glorious.

But I'm still under that chair.

13. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Sorry, by "cuts" do you mean "songs that you would cut (i.e. delete)"?

14. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

AlienRendel likes this.
  15. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

I'd agree - those are the four that would make my mix tape I think.

Dee Zee likes this.
  16. Dee Zee

By cuts I meant tracks. I understand music is like film, everyone reacts individually to the presentation.

17. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I'm just over 100 pages into John Einarson's Mr. Tambourine Man: The Life and Legacy of the Byrds' Gene Clark. After it got off the ground ( slogging through the first chapter's history of his parents and grandparents), it's really hard to put down.

davenav, Hep Alien and AlienRendel like this.
  18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well hey, aren't you the guy who thinks the 1973 Byrds reunion is a "fine album"? :D We clearly have different tastes, I guess, which is fine. Life would be boring if everyone agreed on everything.

I think the lyrics to "The True One" are quite profound, and the song means a lot to me because those lyrics were helpful to me during a difficult time in my life some 20 years ago. They are simpler and more direct than much of the rest of the album, but that doesn't make them less deep or thoughtful. The music is straight-up country and is less experimental than some of the other album tracks, but again I don't hold that against it. I love country, and whoever's playing the piano does a nice Pig Robbins impression.

19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

20. Raoul V.

Raoul V. Well-Known Member

Lead Zeppelin???

21. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Now we're talkin'

bonus likes this.
  22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

It was the 60's.

D.B. likes this.
  23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

24. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

Record Store Day will (probably) see the release of Byrds "Milestones" (live 65-67) and Monterey, as well as a Buffalo Springfield 7" from Monterey 1967 (feat Crosby). My guess is that Milestones belongs to the same category as last years Do you belive in magic, e.g. a release not endorsed by the remaining Byrds.

25. Dee Zee

Shouldn’t the Byrds receive the Kennedy Center honor? I mean, so much innovative music, three members still alive, shoot, if the Eagles got one, the Byrds should. How can we petition the Kennedy Center I wonder?

Bonddm likes this.