Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 04)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Relistening to Another Dimension this rainy morning. This partially instrumental collection is absolutely essential listening to hear how tight the band was by 1966 and also the infrastructure of these incredible songs and covers. Just saying..

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  2. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Interesting "nugget" I just came across.

Despite the liner notes implying that the version of "You Movin'" included on Rhino's 2009 box set Where The Action Is!: Los Angeles Nuggets 1965-1968 was first released on 2001's The Preflyte Sessions, the version that is actually included on the box is the same one that first saw release on the 1969 Various Artists compilation Early L.A.: Archive Series Volume IV. Except on that release it was in stereo (true stereo to my ears) and there was no mono issue of that LP, at least according to Discogs. On the Rhino box, it appears in mono, and for the first time as far as I can tell.

From what I know, there have been a total of three different takes of "You Movin'" that have been released, although some remixes have also occurred over the years. The original 1969 Preflyte LP included what I'll call "Version I". This take was remixed for inclusion on a 1973 reissue of Preflyte and then remixed a second time for inclusion on the 1988 ...In The Beginning (The First Sessions - 1964) release. A third remix of this take was included on 2001's The Preflyte Sessions.

What I will call "Version II" was first issued on The Preflyte Sessions in 2001 and has not been issued anyplace else.

What I will call "Version III" was first issued in 1969 on the Various Artists release Early L.A.: Archive Series Volume IV where it was credited to "The Jet Set" (presumably for contractual or obfuscatory reasons). This version was NOT included on The Preflyte Sessions and did not appear again (as far as I know) until 2009 when it was included on the Rhino L.A. Nuggets box, except in mono. Since the credits don't state that any remixing was done for the Rhino box, I assume that this is a vintage mono mix but I don't know if it was a fold down from the stereo mix (seems unlikely in 1964) or dedicated mono.

There was also the "fake" 45 "reissue" from Sundazed in 2002 that paired "You Movin'" with "Boston". For this, it sounds to my ears as though they used a mono mix (probably a fold down unless a vintage dedicated mono mix was uncovered?) of "Version I".

This is probably more "You Movin'" detail than anybody will be interested in, so I'll just be "movin'" along now...

3. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I absolutely love those Crosby songs for The Byrds. I wish he'd play Lady Friend again. Not that it'll happen any time soon but I suspect if he and Nash had sung Stop Right There and Lady Friend together in concert it would have been pretty sensational.

4. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

Fully agree. Given that Crosby nowadays only seem to play Eight Miles High in concert, I suspect that he might overall be slightly dismissive of his Byrds material, at least in a concert setting. That's why I would like hear him discuss his Byrds songs more in detail. A song like Stranger in a strange land (although unreleased a the time) is early psychedelia. I know that he didn't even remember Psychodrama City once upon a time, but nevertheless, what are his thoughts today in comparison with his solo/CSN(Y) material? That's what I would like to know.

Hep Alien, zobalob and ash1 like this.
  5. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

PhantomStranger likes this.
  6. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Yes! Stranger In A Strange Land is a gem. Hearing the Blackburn and Stone version a few years ago was one of those musical moments I live for. Wonderfully disconcerting to finally hear the lyrics and vocal melody after obsessing over the Byrds instrumental for ages. Such a shame they did not finish it. Politics as Gene Clark once said.

7. Chris M

I'll just come right out and say it. Flower Bomb Song is a holy grail. The backing track is lovely. I've considered making a donation to a charity of Crosby's choice if he would play a verse and chorus of it for posterity.

8. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

Stranger in a strange land is great. It's like the Byrds didn't realise how good they were at the time. Maybe there is an interview with Jeff Blackburn out there, I don't know. Anyway, I would dearly like to know how he and Snow ended up with Stranger and how he got involved with Neil Young (writing My My Hey Hey).

I concur. Heartily. Someone should ask him on twitter. Crosby should really do an in depth interview regarding his years in L.A 65-68. What groups did he catch, how did he end up with Leonard Cohen in May 68 etc etc. There are still unaccounted pieces for in the great byrds puzzle.

bonus, nbadge, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  9. Chris M

Absolutely. I would love to read an in depth interview on this stuff. Has Crosby ever discussed writing Lady Friend in detail? Like others I get the feeling he doesn't realize how incredible that song is. Really curious if he has a cache of home demos from this period. Draft Morning with original lyrics? Not sure if Rogan covered this stuff in his books....my copy of Requiem is buried in a storage unit somewhere.

10. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

According to Andrew Sandoval, it's a mono remix.

Hep Alien and robcar like this.
  11. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

IINM the Sundazed 45 of "You Movin'" is a different (and IIRC, sloppier) performance than either of the ones included on Preflyte Sessions.

Hep Alien and robcar like this.
  12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I might just dust off my Preflyte set from Sundazed, and play it. It’s a nice listen, once in a great while...but I dont play it often anymore. Maybe it should go to a better home.

13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Dr. Byrds is great, as is Balkad Of Easy Rider

14. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

The Byrds, both the early and the later, IMHO, were the best interpreters of Bob Dylan songs. My personal favorite is "You Ain't Goin Nowhere" which was the first song I learned to play well (?) on guitar. I still sing "Pack up you money and pick up your tent" and Ghengis Kahan does not have a brother Don in my version!

15. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

I finally got around to listening to the Blackburn and Snow version earlier today after reading this. Hated it! I've loved the Byrds backing track since it came out on the TTT remaster, but I wouldn't have even guessed it was the same song as the Blackburn and Snow single had it not been pointed out to me. The Byrds' backing track has a really nice flow to it that's completely lacking on the B&S single. Oh well, consider me disappointed!

16. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

The Gene Clark Bio "The Byrd Who Flew Alone" is on BBC4 tonight at 1.30am.

Hep Alien, indigo_m and AlienRendel like this.
  17. Raoul V.

Raoul V. Well-Known Member

Tom Petty's 4 CD "An American Treasure" is released today.

It features an "early take" from 1987 of "King Of The Hill" , the McGuinn/Petty duet that appeared on Roger's "Back From Rio" in 1991.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

There is a great radio interview from B Mitchell Reed with David Crosby in 1967 just days before he was fired where he talks about flying to SF to see Cream's debut the night before and how blown away he was. He also talks about how Lady Friend was ruined by its mix.

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

They even acknowledge on the liner notes to Turn Turn Turn that the sessions were fraught with arguments.

20. Dee Zee

I caught the 50th anniversary of Sweetheart of the Rodeo show on October 10. I real treat for Byrds’ fans. Anyone else here see it?

I hoping to catch the December 3rd show as well.

Jim Walker, Hep Alien and garymc like this.
  21. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I went to Albany and NYC and I'm going Sunday in New Brunswick. Can't get enough of it I guess.

Jim Walker, Hep Alien and Dee Zee like this.
  22. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I'm in for the Dec 19 show with my son and can hardly wait for it.
    I expect it will be some kind of show because of the south Florida
    connections, and being the last show of the tour. The venue
    is absolutely gorgeous. Needless to say I am listening to the
    Ballad of Easy Rider as this is posted. Marty Stuart has been
    playing Clarence White's guitar (w/B-bender) during the tour.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    Hep Alien, Dee Zee and AlienRendel like this.
  23. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

See you in New Brunswick!

Jim Walker likes this.
  24. Dee Zee

I’m on standby for a ticket to the December 3rd show. There is another thread just about the tour but I felt this thread was maybe a bit quiet to maybe the best show ever done in celebration of the Byrds and their influence.

D.B., bonus and Jim Walker like this.
  25. Dee Zee

New David Crosby documentary at Sundance in January:

David Crosby: Remember My Name / U.S.A. (Director: A.J. Eaton, Producers: Cameron Crowe, Michele Farinola, Greg Mariotti) — You thought you knew him. Meet David Crosby now in this portrait of a man with everything but an easy retirement on his mind. With unflinching honesty, self-examination, regret, fear, exuberance and an unshakable belief in family and the transformative nature of music, Crosby shares his often challenging journey. World Premiere