C2600 paired with monoblock MC275

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RSalltubes, Mar 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

@RSalltubes, nice set up! I have the C2600 running into one MC275. It sounds great, but I’ve long wondered how it would be with two MC275s...:shh: Curious if you ever were running one amp, or if you started with two.

Rick58 likes this.
  2. RSalltubes

RSalltubes Active Member Thread Starter

I have not even though I should have. I thought that maybe one day if I ever get another Set of speakers and maybe a SS pre amp I might think about separating them. They definitely sound great in mono though.

3. RSalltubes

Are you running a turntable through the phono stage on the 2600? Im currently waiting for my first ever turntable now. So far ive only heard my system through the Lumin d2 and I'm hoping that the vinyl will be better. Not that it doesn't sound good now, awesome actually but you know that you're always trying to squeeze out a little more.. We will see i guess fingers crossed.

Rick58 likes this.
  4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The phono stages in c2600 are very good. Tube magic at its best and I like that you can change loading on the fly with the remote control!

woody and snorker like this.
  5. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yes. I’ve extensively used both the moving magnet and moving coil sections of the C2600, and before that a C2500, with multiple cartridges. It has an excellent phono stage, very quiet (particularly for having tubes in the circuit) with a good deal of loading flexibility. It has as low as 50pF on the MM so you can use AT cartridges that like low capacitance, though I mainly used Ortofon and vintage Stanton/Pickering MMs that are not so sensitive to capacitance. I have used the moving coil section a lot with a Benz Wood SL and an old Stanton 981LZS. Gain is not adjustable, but at 40db on MM and 60dB on MC it accommodates a lot of cartridges. What do you plan to use?

I had considered the stand alone MP1100 at one time which has a ton of awesome features and flexibility, but it’s certainly not necessary. The C2600 is really very good.

5-String likes this.
  6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Yikes you bought that as a first system in a small apartment. Congrats but you have nothing to judge it by. Just surprised you haven't been arrested yet for noise violation. ;)

7. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Forum Resident

Since you already spent the money then there is no going back. But seriously. The Tannoy speakers at 8 ohms and 93 db sensitivity is an easy load for the MC275 to drive. Even better in mono block configuration. I bet that pairing sounds sublime. I also briefly considered the MC275 but went with the MC452. My speakers are a difficult load to drive at 4 ohms and 85 db sensitivity. They need power. And lots of it.

8. RSalltubes

Talking with this group is definitely reminding what a rookie i am about all of this. Honestly I admit jumping in the deep end before learning how to swim. All I know is that I want to listen to awesome sounding music. Yes it is to late to go back now but so far no regrets. Fingers crossed.

Rick58 likes this.
  9. RSalltubes

I decided to go with the clearaudio concept wood with the satisfy carbon tone arm. Because I was new to the game the dealer talked me into buying the Hana s MC high output cartridge and to connect it to the MM input. This is where I get confused a little. At first I was wondering MC cartridge into MM input? Doing some research i guess that is doable but what would I set the load to on the MM phono stage for a MC cartridge? I better figure this out before the table arrives. Thank you for all the feedback you guys are awesome.

Rick58 likes this.
  10. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I think this will be awesome !!! I use a 'High Output Moving Coil' (HOMC) as well, a Denon DL-160. It is rated at 2mV output, my 'old' C-220 had more than enough gain for it in the MM input (55dB), I assume the C-2600 will be great too. Not sure, but I would think the Hana is designed for standard MM loads (47kohm) so no worries about that. Of course if the C2600 has variable settings, folks (including the dealer, hopefully) can suggest. I don't think there's any chance of 'hurting' anything, but I think DO use the MM input and not the MC. A 2mV or so cart would be very LOUD into the MC input!

Hana S Series MC Phono Cartridges Yes, 2mV output for the 'SH' version, likes 47kohm load.

PS/Edit: the preamp has 'only' 40dB gain for the MM input, hopefully that will be sufficient, but you may have to turn up the volume more than your other inputs. Can adjust things using the trim controls if desired. I think I did this with my C220.

from the manual:
    Phono MM - 50 to 800pF, in 50pF steps; 47K ohms
    Phono MC - 25, 50, 100, 200, 400 or 1,000 ohms; 100pF

there's not a 47kohm load option for MC, so that isn't an option; probably can try all the capacitance settings for the Hana using the Phono MM input (unless there's a recommended load) and see what sounds best.

PPS/Edit: you know, I bet the total gain for MM Phono in the C2600 is indeed 55dB as well. Looking at the two manuals, the high level gain is 15dB "to Main Output". The gain for 'Phono to Main Output' in the C220 manual is listed as 55dB. For the C2600 the MM Phono gain is specified as 40dB to 'Record Output' and not 'Main Output' (and 60dB for the MC Phono).

BUT ... the Sensitivity (for rated output) is IDENTICAL for the two MM Phono specs (4.5mV). So, that leads me to think they have actually the same gain ... I bet there's 55dB for MM and 75dB available for MC in the C2600.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  11. RSalltubes

Hard to judge how good it sounds not having anything to compare it to but even so I still catch myself staring at the system in disbelief while listening. Maybe its a good a thing I can't compare it to another system. I would like to know how it stacks up someday though. The crazy thing is I never feel the need to turn it up. I listening after work everyday at 4am for over a year now and no complaints so far. My room is just filled with sound and it seems loud but thats just where I'm listening at I guess. 15 - 25 on the volume nob is enough for me. I'm listening at suck a low volume im wondering if I'm even breaking in my speakers. Is there a volume min to break in speakers? I don't even know. Such a noob.

Rick58 likes this.
  12. RSalltubes

Thank you for the information. Definitely helps ease the nerves before hitting the power switch. I really can't wait for it to get here.

Rick58 likes this.
  13. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I think you've done it right! Managed to get an 'end game' system for most folks, the first time around. I'd think the speakers are fine, playing a moderate volume for a year must be fine, unless there's some other info about Tannoys. They are certainly very sensitive, you probably aren't using more than a few watts much of the time, which is fine. When a big orchestral climax hits, it won't have any problems delivering the proper volume!

I don't know what cabling you have, but getting good ones is recommended. I recently upgraded the power cords on my 300B tube amps to the 'cheapest' Analysis Plus (were <$150 each, so not bad); I think those brought the system up a few notches in resolution, I can hear 'further into the mix' than before. I have AP Oval 12 cables to the speakers driven by the 300B amps (and AP ICs between preamp and amps). Of course other brands are likely excellent too.

14. RSalltubes

My speaker cables are the rocket 44 but I'm not sure what the interconnects are for my Lumin d2. Damn now I can't remember what the connecting cables are for my pre amp to amp either. Honestly injust took the advice from the people at Upscale audio. They haven't steered me in the wrong direction yet.

The tt has arrived but I can connect it till I get off work. Its going to be a long night..

Rick58 likes this.
  15. RSalltubes

Also I have taken the speakers off of those crates. For some reason I thought I needed to bring the speakers up to ear level but I was way wrong. Having them solid on the floor and moving them just a little bit further from the back wall has greatly improved the sound and sound stage. I started thinking about it while researching the isoacoustics gaia feet and how they improve the sound. So I took them off of those dumb crates and everything sounds so much cleaner and the bass is tighter. Well that only took a year to figure out. Lol

woody and Rick58 like this.
  16. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Wow, that is amazing (about taking them off the stands)! Unexpected ... but moving them out away from the wall, yes, I've found improves soundstaging, imaging, depth of soundstage ... I need to go thru that exercise with my MA Silver 8s (I'll be moved in permanently in a few weeks, can't wait). I'm afraid they'll "like" being way out in the room where my stand mounted monitors are though. (I have two 'systems', pull the 300B tube amp driven standmounts off to the side when listening to the SS amp driven Silver 8s.) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.