Cable TV's TNN Changes Name to Spike

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Apr 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Cable TV's TNN Changes Name to Spike

By David Bauder
    The Associated Press

NEW YORK - Spike is no longer just the name of a famous film director or a volleyball move. Now it's the name of a cable network, too.

Struggling TNN — which just two years ago changed from The Nashville Network to The National Network — announced Tuesday that, effective June 16, it will call itself Spike TV and become the first network aimed specifically at men.

"We just like the idea of having a guy's name," said Albie Hecht, network president. "We thought that was smart and fun and irreverent."

TNN's switch isn't exactly a stretch. Since it already airs World Wrestling Entertainment, "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and a made-up game of basketball played on trampolines called "slam ball," nearly two-thirds of TNN's audience is male, anyway.

Lifetime, Oxygen and the Women's Entertainment network all seek female viewers. Although outlets like ESPN have a mostly male audience, Hecht said Spike TV is the first to explicitly identify this as a goal.

The switch also enables TNN, and parent company Viacom, a chance to outmaneuver the publishers of Maxim magazine. Dennis Publishing is developing a cable channel called the Maxim Entertainment Network, or MEN.

Viacom's attempt two years ago to keep the TNN initials, though, confused some viewers who still saw it as a regional, country music-oriented channel.

TNN's ratings have been sagging, with an average prime-time audience of a little more than 1 million viewers during the first three months of 2003, down 16 percent from the same year-earlier period. TNN dropped from the eighth-most popular basic cable station to 14th.

Its most popular programs, Monday's two WWE wrestling shows, are off 22 percent in viewership, with "Star Trek" down 32 percent, Nielsen Media Research said.

They will remain on Spike TV. Spike will also work with Men's Health magazine to produce segments on fitness or relationships, and CBS Marketwatch to provide financial updates.

New programs in the works include "A Guy and His Stuff," about gizmos and gadgets, and "Top 10 Things Every Guy Should Experience," which will follow men to top sporting events like the Super Bowl.

Spike TV is already available in 86 million television homes.

Despite the name, Hecht promises the network will be no He-Man Woman Hater's Club.

"We'll be unapologetically male," he said. "But it will also be a place where women are welcomed."

2. James RD

James RD Senior Member

:rolleyes: Why don't they just call it Scrotum TV and be done with it.

3. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Yeah, their slogan could be "scratch this!":laugh:

BUT, the new network is going to have new episodes of Ren & Stimpy, which is going to be great!

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I won't watch Spike TV. TNN was at its best when it was "The Nashville Network."

5. reechie

reechie Senior Member

What marketing consultant came up with this one?

6. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

LOL!!!:laugh: You know that wouldn't be off the mark at all!!:D

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Top Ten names considered but rejected before settling on "Spike":

10. Pole
    9. Shaft
    8. Cannon
    7. Tower
    6. Rifle
    5. Cigar
    4. Cucumber
    3. Bolt
    2. Drill
    1. Phallus

Regards,

8. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I think you forgot;

Poker
    Dong
    Beef
    Salami
    Tube-Steak
    Rocket
    Jimmy
    AKA - Richard ;)

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

How about "The Incredible Heat-Seeking Moisture Missile Network"?:laugh:

10. They are probably doing this just to get in the news again.

11. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Trouser Snake was also briefly considered.

12. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Is that because the TNG reruns have been on 5,000 times already? And where are the DS9 and Voyager episodes?

13. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm partial to BTN (Beef: The Network).

14. Steven

Steven Senior Member

I assume Picket Fences will not be seen on Spike. Unfortunately for me, the last time TNN ran it (and the first time I saw it) the first 15 episodes were shown, and then the show disappeared.

15. nashreed

nashreed New Member

It really is just the "All Star Trek Network" as far as I can tell. That's all they seem to show when I'm flipping (nothing but the first six movies or "TNG" of course). So this station will cater to "beefy man" men and their inner geek all at once?? I'm there dude :rolleyes: .

James

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.