Cables - stereo and guitar - they suck nowadays

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Twodawgzz, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Twodawgzz

Twodawgzz But why do you ask such questions... Thread Starter

My stereo system is pretty top of the line, and I wouldn't change a thing. Over the years I've spent moderate amounts on so called high quality interconnects. But having spoken to professionals in the audio field, their advice has been that there is little or no difference between cheap cables and very costly ones, so just go with inexpensive ones and save some money.

Practically all the intermittent problems I experience with channels cutting out, etc., is with RCA cables. I assume it is due to the soldering at the cable ends and/or the actual connectors themselves. But I often have to jostle the cables around or push/pull on them slightly to get a solid connection. I do not think the problem lies with the sockets. Finally, when everything works, it's like "don't touch anything!"

The same is true of many of the guitar cables I've purchased in the last year or two, especially longer ones. I've had to cut some of them off, resolder connections, and put them back together.

I have to assume the problem is with faulty manufacturing, lousy quality control, mass production, etc. So maybe more costly cables are better. But if so, only because the ends of the cables have been assembled more carefully. So that's my beef on interconnects.

The Pinhead likes this.
  2. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

There are quite a few cable makers who choose good quality wire with durable insulation and (for interconnects) effective shielding, good quality connectors that make positive contact and that integrate good quality strain relief.

The longest lasting cables I've had have invariably been the ones I made myself. Audiophiles who refer to themselves or think of themselves as hobbyists should embrace that concept of making their own high-quality cables. After a skill development period, they'll guarantee for themselves the best quality and most reliable connections between components.

guestuser and Tommy SB like this.
  3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Yes, absolutely; this is why I go with Kirlin cables nowadays. Even those rca that came with audio decks in the 80s were better built that the cheap stuff of today.

[​IMG]

4. jek57

jek57 Forum Resident

I'm using inexpensive cables for my set up I found some mediabridge coaxial for my power amp to my preamp and my dac fora total of 16 dollars I needed 2 ft cable these are very well made and they work great

timind and Tommy SB like this.
  5. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

For guitar cables, check out Devine Noise. I have found nothing better. Both cables going on 8 years and I gig with them fairly frequently.

timind and Twodawgzz like this.
  6. Eric242

Eric242 Forum Resident

I've got a planet wave cable for my guitar. Bought it 25 years ago and still good. There were made in USA at that itme,dont know if its still the case.