Calgary International Film Festival - viewing suggestions welcome

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

This Friday is the opening of the 4th Calgary International Film Festival. I'll be working again as a volunteer team leader at the festival.

This year as team leaders, we get a couple of extra perks up and above what a regular volunteer gets. I can attend either the opening or closing night film and gala. I've chosen opening night which is the new William H. Macy, Alec Baldwin film The Cooler. Macy and Calgary born producer Michael Pierce will be in attendance at the movie and gala. Got to remember to bring my Nikon along with me. :) Has anyone seen this movie yet? It's getting very good reviews. Also, I get 4 movie tickets. Regular volunteers get two. And as well my volunteer pass/credentials gets me into any other movie that isn't sold out.

This year's films alphabetically can be found here.

This year the festival has added a new category, Blues On Film. Titles include:
    Ray Charles: The Genius Of Soul
    Bluesland: A Portrait Of Blues In America
    Honeyboy
    Nina Simone, Love Sorceress
    Last Of The Mississippi Jukes
    John Lee Hooker: That's My Story
    Muddy Waters: Can't Be Satisfied

Other categories include:

Canadian Film Works
    Contemporary World Cinema (Foreign Films)
    American Independent
    Restored Classics including: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Modern Times.
    Films For Families
    Reality Reels (Documentaries)
    Late Shows (cult classics or soon to be)
    Shorts, Midnight Shorts, Hot Shorts, Animated Shorts, American Shorts, Interenational Shorts
    Off The Beaten Path
    Action! Sports Series

A film buff friend of mine E-mailed me a list of suggestions the other day that included 22 films/documentaries. Don't know that I'll be seeing them all. I did though, warn my girlfriend that she may not see me for 10 days. :laugh:

Emile
    Falling Angels
    My Life Without Me
    A Problem With Fear
    At Five In The Afternoon
    Hukkle
    The Son
    Respiro
    The Mother
    Zhou Yu's Train
    And Now Ladies And Gentlemen
    Station Agent
    The Cooler
    The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
    Bus 174
    Bukowski
    Charlie: Life Of Chaplin
    Moro No Brasil
    The Saddest Music In The World (a must see)
    I'll be there for sure. That is the new film from Winnipeg cult director Guy Madden. This movie stars Isabella Rossellini and Mark McKinney (SCTV-SNL). The movie was filmed in my hometown, Winnipeg, and is set in Winnipeg during the depression, 1930s.
    Uzak (a must see)
    This one I'm not so sure about. "...An intimate history and the voyage of two men in a snowy, contemporary Istanbul." In the past I have found some films in this genre a tough watch. I may pass on this one.
    The Corporation (a must see)
    This documentary looks interesting. But its 2.5 hours long. I hope it can hold my attention.
    The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons of Robert McNamara (a must see)
    I won't be able to see this one. It plays on opening night. I will of course be at the William H. Macy film.

If you have seen or read about any other "must see" films or documemtaries at this years' Calgary International Film Festival, please let me know.

Thanks. :)

Attached Files:

2. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Oops. Mark McKinney is of course from the great Kids In The Hall ("squish your head..." :laugh: ), not SCTV. My bad. :o

Festival begins tomorrow and we've already had a couple of cancellations. William H. Macy will not be here for the opening film The Cooler. It's reported that his father is very ill. Also Gena Rowlands will not be attending the screening of her film Incredible Mrs. Ritchie.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Have fun, Miike!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.