Californication - Reissue - Cut by Bernie Grundman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikemoon, Jul 19, 2012.

1. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Yes. It did. A rounded rectangular, blue sticker in upper left corner of wrap. Not shrink wrapped either but a loose plastic sleeving. I asked them if I could open it to see the mastering scrawl in the dead wax before purchasing which they obliged due to the wear on the plastic outer.

JobiWanKenobi and Pali Gap like this.
  2. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident

Click on "See all formats", which leads to two vinyl editions still available (the 2012 one and the 2019 picture disc).

JobiWanKenobi and NewKidInTown like this.
  3. JobiWanKenobi

JobiWanKenobi Active Member

Yup!!! it had the blue sticker, soon as I opened the shipping box it was the first thing I saw, I couldn’t believe it!! Then I opened the shrink wrap to confirm the actual record label and there it was, the off-white label with the WB at the top, and the CB hand written in the deadwax. Barnes & Noble .com dude, get on it!!! The worst that can happen is a return for refund!!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    Pali Gap likes this.
  4. JobiWanKenobi

Weird dude mine did not have a loose plastic sleeve, you mean the thick kind that’s opened on one side? More of a protective sleeve you get when buying second hand records at the shop?Anyway, weird, because mine was def shrink wrapped with the blue “Limited-Edition 180-Gram Vinyl 2 disc set” sticker set right below Red Hot Chili Peppers. As a side note it was really stuck on there too, I tried to peel it off and the corners got pretty sh*tty, so I actually cut around the sticker on the shrink wrap just for keep sake in case I ever sold it or something. But I’m never selling it, it sounds awesome!

Pali Gap and pexie like this.
  5. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Yes, but I think they replaced the outer shrink after shelf wear caused the shrink to rip or something. It was very loose and thick outer plastic.

One minor detail - can MODS change the title of this thread to Chris Bellman rather than the title erroneously saying Bernie Grundman?

6. Jcall17

Jcall17 Active Member

Looking for this myself. I’ve called about 10 area (Pennsylvania) B&N stores and had them look physically. They all have at least one or two copies in stock but none have the blue label unfortunately. Most likely HL copies like the one I already have. Might try online ship to home option to see if I get lucky, but if none of the stores nearby have the version, I don’t like my chances. Just curious guys who ordered B&N online, where are you generally located?

JobiWanKenobi likes this.
  7. JobiWanKenobi

Hey bud, just a heads up I’m in Austin, Texas. But when my order was shipped of course I was tracking it, it came from New Jersey. So if I were you I’d take the chance and order it, it’s free returns isn’t it? If u do order and get the 2012, make sure you let us know dude!

8. My Echo My Shadow And Me

There seems to be a new 2020 pressing of the "good" 2012 Bellman cut: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication This is easy to recognize, because they changed the color of the type on the front from white to light blue.

poolie, pexie, Soundslave and 2 others like this.
  9. My Echo My Shadow And Me

I now have this and can confirm that it is a re-pressing of the 2012 Bellman cut. Excellent pressing, flat and quiet.

pexie, musictoad, Marko K and 2 others like this.
  10. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Where did you get it, if I may ask?

Rob6899 likes this.
  11. My Echo My Shadow And Me

hhv.de

Beaker73 likes this.
  12. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Has anyone tried to purchase this 2020 U.S press from Amazon.com recently and received the horrible (and prone to skipping) 2019 Euro press instead? I notice MANY 1-star reviews on Amazon.com recently (Aug/Sept/Oct 2020) for this Lp...

13. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Got my CB cut from hhv.de today. And finally I can listen to the whole damn thing without, well, turning it off after three songs. Glad to finally have this version on vinyl and just enjoy the music.

14. JOnny Cox

JOnny Cox Forum Resident

Hi anybody know if there’s a 2020 press with the normal white band name on front cover, rather than the translucent? Seen in a few places advertised as 2020 but picture shows in white. Thanks.

15. Grant Halliday

Grant Halliday Forum Resident

Is the 2020 reissue available in the UK?

Rob6899 likes this.
  16. adam rush

adam rush Member

i ordered the '2020 reissue' of the 180g pressing from a place in the UK.
    It has the original white text on the cover (not translucent), no blue sticker on the wrapper nor 'CB' in the deadwax. (B923806-01 A12 HL on side 1)
    It does however have the new Warner Records logo and blue/orange disc labels... very confused.
    Discogs suggests that were some 2019 pressings but sounds like the are not from the CB mix. The search goes on.

17. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

The CB cut is probably exclusive to the US. The one I got recently was an import.

Kemosabi1 likes this.
  18. Grant Halliday

Grant Halliday Forum Resident

Cheers, ended up buying it from a Canadian record store and had it shipped over!

Beaker73 likes this.
  19. JOnny Cox

JOnny Cox Forum Resident

This master is really hard to track down. Nothing at hhv.de
    Not willing to risk discogs again.
    Any ideas?

Kemosabi1 likes this.
  20. Pali Gap

First off, the U.S. 2020 translucent cover copies also have the 'CB' etchings, Amazon.com had them recently.
    • Matrix / Runout (Disc 1 Side A): 1-531908-A CB -25603- P.USA
    Secondly, anytime you're buying on Discogs- just ask the seller to confirm specific details about their pressing (ie the deadwax info, barcode, etc), and/or ask them for pictures which they can send straight to your email. It's common for sellers to list their items correctly, especially when it comes to re-presses..

21. So I've recently had an acute bout of nostalgia for this record and I decided it was time to get a vinyl copy. I generally like to get first or early presses of records especially when they're from the 90's because vinyl from that era is generally pretty scarce or non-existent for a lot releases. I thought I had done enough research to find a decent sounding copy but apparently I blew it by getting an early European press. This thing is garbage. It starts getting "inner groove distortion" by about midway through the discs on each side and the outer most grooves aren't much to write home about either. Its absolutely pathetic. Now I've gone through this thread a couple times and obviously the 2012 Bellman/Grundman cut from 2012 (which appears to have been repressed for the 2020 edition) seems to be the only one that is worth getting even though it hurts me to know it was cut from WAV files.

I just can't believe the edition that I have managed to get past the test press stage. How could anyone turn in this kind of work and then have a label go through with the pressing? Its atrocious.

Anyway, I ordered a sealed copy that I thought might be the 2020 repress from eBay but the more I compare the pictures of the jacket on the listing to the discogs listing of the 2020, the less confident I am. It does say made in Germany but it has the URL's printed on the back of the jacket and I think that's a sign it may be the 2019 which is apparently also garbage.

There's a Barnes & Noble near where I work that supposedly has this in stock so I'm thinking of going over there soon and checking to see if this is indeed NOS of the 2012 edition.

22. My Echo My Shadow And Me

I have the 2020 repress of the Bellman cut. It's easy to recognize, because as of now it is the only version of the album that does not have white text on the front cover, but translucent text (making the text look light blue).

Barnes & Noble did indeed have NOS of the 2012 Bellman cut until at least late last year.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    poolie likes this.
  23. Pali Gap

Yeah it's tricky, I'd recommend buying a NM opened copy so you can verify it's got 'CB' in the dead wax prior to purchase (and confirm no other visual vinyl defects)..

24. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

Finally back in stock at Acoustic Sounds.

Pali Gap likes this.
  25. Nate8

Nate8 Forum Resident

damn. missed this one.