DCC Archive Calling all 222 DCC members

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Winston, Oct 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Good choice, Cvila! I love Neil Young.

But I think he has his own remastering and format ideas. And he seems to be firmly in control of his own catalogue. For example, he absolutely refuses permission for any of his songs to be lent for corporate or business purposes. Remember "This note's for you?".

But since I live in fantasy land: I vote for the entire Neil Yonge catalogue up to Rust Never Sleeps. ;)

2. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Tom Waits !!! Maybe Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs and some other title I don´t know yet.

And the Blues Brothers soundtrack. The remaster sounds a lot better than the first CD release, but...

I know I was only supposed to post once and that time is up for this :rolleyes: :p

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: Michael Beckmann ]

3. Bob Casner

Bob Casner Senior Member

I'm voting for something that seems within the realm of possibilty - the first album by The Pretenders. I remember collaring SH in the hallway at one of the Stereophile sponsored Hi-Fi shows here in Southern California several years ago and asking, "Any chance?" He said he'd LOVE to, but thought that the label was going to do something with it themselves. Given how long it's been this then, I figure the label would have done it by now if they were going to - as far as I know, the original CD mastering is still the only one out there.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I remember that Bob!

Took you this long to register here?

At any rate, thanks for the reminder....I'll ask... ;)

5. Bob Casner

Bob Casner Senior Member

Yeah, I've been "lurking" for some time, finally decided to get with it and jump into the action. I DID post a few times on the "old" board before registering was required. By the way, I have DCC Elvis Hits #0123(!), do I win anything - besides, of course, getting to listen to the best sounding Elvis ever?

6. Mart

Mart New Member

7. drdisc

drdisc New Member

Sorry to reply so late to this post - recent retirement and new computer setup has kept me
    away. In any event, I've entertained a fantasy ever since discovering DCC that there might be a Steve Hoffman master of Steve Miller's Sailor.

8. pauljones

pauljones Forum Chef

How about Mr. Tambourine Man and Turn, Turn, Turn by the Byrds. Vic Anecini's versions on Sony Legacy are good, but they can be better. For example, Vic remastered "Here Without You" twice, and it sounds much better on the Gene Clark "Echoes" cd, which was done first! (Better master?) One sore thumb was the mono version of "Turn, Turn, Turn" on the Legacy remaster. The Byrds' box set has a stereo remix which is superior and I feel should have been included on the Legacy remaster. Please include the stereo mix if you remaster this cd. Also "Katy Lied " by Steely Dan...reportedly the original master was destroyed by a defective DTS machine and the final sound was compromised. How about a careful remix from the original multi-tracks?

9. pauljones

pauljones Forum Chef

sorry, the katy lied master was destrroyed by a faulty DBX machine, not DTS. thanks!(My 15 month old daughter was distracting me when typing the original message; time to change another flagrant and fragrant diaper!)

10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

When people voted, the result was for Abbey Road first and foremost.

[ December 22, 2001: Message edited by: Bradley Olson ]

11. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

My choice for a Steve release of dreams: Yma Sumac-Fuego del Ande on Capitol....do both mono and stereo on 1 disc.

12. pauljones

pauljones Forum Chef

Steve, how about--Nat King Cole "After Midnight", Bruce Hornsby "Scenes from the Southside", "Steppenwolf", Three Dog Night "It Ain't Easy" and "Harmony", Linda Ronstadt "Simple Dreams", Neil Young's "After The Gold Rush" and all the Buffalo Springfield Albums (in stereo).

13. Krink

Krink Forum Resident

I know My member numer is above 222...but anyways.

My vote would go to Japan's debut LP.

14. James Fraser

James Fraser New Member

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours :cool:

15. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

How about the Band's Music From Big Pink? Supposedly, the first-generation masters had been missing but were unearthed in time to be used for last year's reissue. The current CD doesn't sound terrible but if the original masters are really and truly available I'd love to see Mr. Hoffman work his magic with 'em.

Either that, or Rock of Ages. :)

16. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I really REALLY love the sound of "The Band" (Self-titled) but the masters aren't alive anymore, from what I hear. Too bad. That would have been one gorgeous DCC album.

17. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

18. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

Sorry about double post, I'll get the hang of this computer thingy one of these centuries.

Anyway, my choice would be either Blood On The Tracks or Born To Run, can't decide.

19. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

The Ventures "Surfing"

When I say this, I mean of course the 1963 original on Dolton Records, NOT the 1998 Cd on GNP.

20. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

I would have to go with Tom Waits "Heart of Saturday Night" :eek:

21. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I'd really like to hear Van Morrison's Moondance treated well. :cool:

22. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Beatles - Abbey Road
    --------------------
    Simply because:

a) It's one of the most important albums made
    b) It's timeless
    c) It deserves a definitive remaster

HOWEVER, speaking from a personal emotional point of view:

Eric Clapton - Unplugged
    ------------------------
    I chose this album because it was already a classic when it was released. Why remaster/re-release?

a) Although the 1992 release sounds ok, I think SH can teach the MTV/Reprise dudes a thing or two and catapult it into hi-fi heaven... :p

b) I'd really like to hear the missing tracks (i.e. "Circus Left Town"...my GOD, why did they leave it out of the 1992 compilation??!!), in the correct order (Windsor concert) with as little cuts as possible,...all crammed on a 2-CD set ofcourse!! :D

[ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: Ivar ]

23. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

My choice, Quicksilver HAPPY TRAILS. Great work by Cipollina

24. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I would have to say The Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers".

25. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Steve did the mastering of the regular MCA Compact Price issue of "Steppenwolf".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.