Cambridge Audio Alva TT turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 5-String, Mar 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν Thread Starter

Lucca90 and NOS300B like this.
  2. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Interesting - still couldn't stop me from buying a new Technics (if I was shopping for a DD) - much more functional.

5-String and patient_ot like this.
  3. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

4. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Already a thread from a couple months ago, and also talk about it in the Technics thread. Does look interesting, but the Rega arm would seem a bit limiting compared to some of the other DD decks, not sure how many want the digital media features or phono preamp at that price, but ya never know, others are doing the same thing ...

Cambridge Audio Alva Turntable

Technics new SL-1200MK7 and SL-1500C*

5-String likes this.
  5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Hard pass on this. A lifestyle product I would never buy. Can't really use other carts with it either because the built-in phono pre is non-defeatable IIRC. Also don't see the point of paying this much money for what is essentially a Hanpin OEM deck with a low-level Rega arm on it.

5-String and Leepal like this.
  6. theprivateer

theprivateer Active Member

Agree with the OP this looks like a winner. It clearly isn’t marketed to those looking for flexibility, upgrades etc.

There are so many folks who just get turned off by the inconvenience of a separate phonostage, lack of wireless capability, cartridge dilemmas and so on. But these are the same people who fetishize “vinyls” and want something to play it on that isn’t a Crosley or cheap AT. Why not? Much better Cambridge than Shinola who were (and still are) clueless about hifi manufacturing.

Cambridge seems to be pitching itself further upmarket with this and the new Edge amp, I think it is an interesting direction!

5-String likes this.
  7. Brando4905

Brando4905 Forum Resident

Total fail in my book, it has the tapered bottom of newer Cambridge gear which mean no feet at all. No way to level it.

5-String likes this.
  8. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Long running scrips, lots of advertising so it will not completely download after a minute.. Only operating at 22mpbs. Perhaps site wants 100mpbs when I get home. (About viewing 10 movies at same time).

Anyways, for $1700, I would look at Technics GR-1200 instead.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  9. txguitar

txguitar Senior Member

If it had a removable head for the cartridge I'd buy it. I have a music hall that has the same configuration for the cartridge. It's a
    pain to replace the cartridge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.