Cambridge Audio CXN v2 streamer vs Bluesound Node 2i

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wingram, Jul 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slam

Slam New Member

Hello,

Just did a CXN V2 VS Node test at the shop today. I've played some flac files to compare both, but I didn't need to play many of them. By the first switch from Node to CXN the sound just got so much brighter and the different pieces of the song just reveal themselves... wasn't expected such a clear gap between both.

Let me add a remark on the hard drives. I had difficulties to connect my HDD (1TB) to both CXN V2 and Node systems during my first visit to the shop, most probably due to the fact that my HDD had plenty of other stuff on than just music.
    For today's test I had brought a 256GB flash drive with 100+ GB of music and CXN V2 could display the integrality immediately in both Cambridge apps (StreamMagic and Cambridge Connect). For now this capacity is enough for me. When it won't be, I'll try with a clean HDD or with network NAS.

I took the time to fill this post today since I was really happy to read any help on this topic on this forum.

CXN V2 ordered today :)

Slam

2. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Shocker...a device that costs $1099.00 sounds better than one costing $499.00. Enjoy your new streamer.

displayname likes this.
  3. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing! So many people ask about these, and so few get to A/B them. It's always nice when the sound makes the choice easy.

4. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I have the CXN v2 and I think it’s great.

Brother_Rael and displayname like this.
  5. Wenthrope

Wenthrope Forum Resident

For a while I was contemplating the same decision....then went with option C :) I found out Cambridge Audio had an eBay store for their refurbished and was able to pick up a 851N streamer for $900. Sound quality on par with my old Oppo 205 which I sold considering the high market price. Capabilities wise, it does not have Chromecast like the CXN v2, but better DAC (based on research but not my own A/B). Anyway, I’m quite happy with the purchase - Spotify and lossless on NAS.

Brother_Rael and displayname like this.
  6. Gui0507

Gui0507 Active Member

hi, I saw this as well on eBay though what got me a bit worried was that it stated these units from C stock can have scratches or imperfections on the chassis. How did yours turn out? Looking at the CXN V2 in comparison to the bluesound node 2i I have

7. Wenthrope

Wenthrope Forum Resident

Hi Gui0507, mine turned out just fine - no visible scratches or imperfections. Since getting mine, I’ve been using it a couple of hours each day and (knock on wood) no issues thus far. I like the sound of the 851N and it seems to play well with the rest of my gear.

8. Wenthrope

Wenthrope Forum Resident

Gui0507, one more thing I forgot to mention - mine did not come in original box. While it did come with all the necessary accessories, I can tell the wifi dongle was not the original. Works perfectly fine so not a big deal. Since the unit was purchased from Cambridge Audio’s own eBay store, it does have money back guarantee and warranty.

9. Paratus

Paratus Well-Known Member

Mytek Liberty ($1,000)...they make a higher end DAC as well, but the Liberty is pretty darn good!

Fruff76 likes this.
  10. MKLAU

MKLAU New Member

Wenthrope, that is a good deal what is the seller's name on ebay ? thanks

11. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

FWIW To the current owners of the CXN V2, or those considering one, ModWright has come up with a Tube Circuit Mod for this unit.
    [​IMG]

displayname likes this.
  12. Wenthrope

Wenthrope Forum Resident

CambridgeAudioUSA - that’s their official eBay store. They usually have either 851N or CXNv2 on there every other week of so. Many times, it’s multiple available units under a single listing.

MKLAU and displayname like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.