Cambridge CXU - the 752BD successor

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brother_Rael, Sep 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AVphile

AVphile Forum Resident

I see now, you are both saying the same thing! I thought the CXU added the fancy DSD->PCM conversion, but now that I think of it the 752 has the same DACs (it just had DSD issues with early firmware).

However, I set my 752 to output DSD (via HDMI) for my BDA3 and leave it. There is no setting that gives that AND analog output with SACD, and I don't have a TV connected to flip settings as the mood strikes. No big loss obviously, I intended this to be used mainly as a transport (the price was right) and I can still use the analog outs for CD/HDCD/DVD-A.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Brother_Rael likes this.
  2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member Thread Starter

That's pretty much it - the CXU only differs from the 752BD by having a different fascia/casework and Darbee in the video section. Otherwise, it's the same animal.

3. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I was recently tipped by a forum member that the Cambridge Audio 752BD player may represent a solution for my hi-res download playing needs (plus every other disc type I own, including HDCD). Unfortunately, the model is discontinued and I don't seem to see a replacement/newer version of it other than the CXUHD, which doesn't seem to be able to do what I want (and doesn't have a USB port in the front, analog inputs, or HDCD decoding, from what I can tell).

Other than scouting for used 752BD players for sale, is there another option (either Cambridge Audio or another similar manufacturer) that anybody might recommend?

4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member Thread Starter

The CXU was the replacement for the 752BD. The CXUHD was the replacement for the CXU.

Your options are a new Pioneer, sans HDCD. A NOS CXU or Oppo if you want to pay the premium for the latter (for the 200 series alone, many users prefer the Cambridge to the Oppo for the 100 series. Both are good, personal choice and maybe even just features or design), or a modest BR with an older universal player (Arcam, Denon, NAD).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.