Cambridge Solo Phono Preamp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dennis1077, Dec 19, 2018.

1. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've long found the Phono input on my Onkyo receiver underwhelming. I've since hooked up an Audio Technica AT-PEQ3 preamp. In all honesty, I can't tell the difference.

Rather than wait until I can afford an expensive (and presumably "better" preamp) I started researching preamps under $200. It looks like I've settled on the Cambridge Solo.

Solo

I was hoping to tap into the wisdom of our esteemed forum members before pulling the trigger.

1) Is it realistic to expect a noticeable increase in sound quality from a $180 preamp? A few reviews indicate YES but I'm skeptical of "fake" reviews.

2) Are there comparably priced preamps that I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

In terms of sub-$200 phono stage vs. built-in, I suppose that depends on how bad your built-in is. Some built-ins can be pretty good.

You'll have to test it and decide for yourself.

3. dennis1077

Very true! I could always return the item.

patient_ot likes this.
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If the retailer has a good return policy and you're okay with doing that, sure. Just make sure to read the fine print. Some shops are very generous with returns, others are not. Others say they are but require you to get a return authorization which they could choose to deny for any reason or no reason at all.

5. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I have a very modest system which includes a Onkyo A-9010 amp and a Cambridge Solo phono (which I also use in conjunction with Schiit Magni 3). I don't regret the separate phono section. To be honest I already had a Rotel RQ-970BX phono preamp when I got the Onkyo and then replaced it with the Solo. At no stage since briefly comparing built-in with the Rotel did I consider using the built-in. I was considering using the Schiit Mani but never got off the fence about it. This is hardly detailed analysis so your mileage will vary! Do as others suggest and try it and see and let us know. I've seen very little on either the Cambridge Solo or Duo.

dennis1077 likes this.
  6. dennis1077

Will do! I ordered it yesterday and it's due to arrive today! I'll be sure to post my experience.

patient_ot likes this.
  7. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

I'm sure it will be a decent amp but the balance control really puts me off it.

8. dennis1077

I thought the balance control was strange. Not really sure what the point is.

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Probably to account for cartridges that are louder in one channel or the other, or to account for an issue where the listener hears differently in one ear or another.

Not really useful for me since 1 or 2db louder in one channel isn't going to bother me. Plus I have balance on my integrated amp.

10. dennis1077

That's exactly why I thought it was strange. Don't most amps have balance controls?

There's also the "subsonic filter" that apparently corrects imperfections in records. One reviewer even claimed his records had less surface noise after using the Solo. Not sure I believe that.

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Not all amps have balance or even basic tone controls. Some people may prefer to set balance at the phono pre rather than reset it for other sources. Depending on the person, may or may not be a useful feature.

Re: subsonic filters, there are pros and cons depending on your setup. Some people argue strongly against them. I've used subsonic filters before to protect against woofer pumping and such where a record is warped. It is a useful feature to have, IMHO. However, if a phono preamp doesn't have it, I can simply use an outboard one or a set of 20hz hi-pass filter plugs at the integrated amp input. Filter plugs are inexpensive. Some outboard subsonic filters are a lot more expensive, e.g. the one KAB sells. These things don't "correct" anything - they just filter out the subsonic noise from the warps.

Re: less surface noise, some phono preamps and carts with an analytical or brighter presentation might make surface noise more apparent. There are also different philosophies re: circuit design that may result in noise, pops, clicks, etc. being brought more (or less) to the foreground or being more (or less) exaggerated when the stylus picks them up. A cheap trick to cut down on surface noise is to have rolled off highs. Many carts and phono preamps do this.

You can do a rudimentary FR test with a test record and some sound editing software to see if your cart and/or phono pre has rolled off highs.

GordonM likes this.
  12. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

Please let me know what you think of the Solo? I likewise seriously looked at it, but decided on the Schiit Audio Mani ($129), which is my big Christmas gift from my lovely wife.

13. dennis1077

Will do. It arrived today. Gonna hook it up tomorrow!

14. dennis1077

The Solo has been up and running for a few days now.

Initial impression: Didn't have the WOW factor right away. Not a drastic change initially.

Ultimately there IS improvement and I'll be keeping the Solo.

My system is still lacking something when listening to vinyl through speakers. CDs sound amazing through my current speakers.

Listening through headphones and my Project Headphone Amp.......vinyl sounds AMAZING. Currently considering a speaker upgrade.

15. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

N0t sure speakers are a problem if other sources sound great. It will take about 20-40 lps before phono pre is broken in. I'd say a cartridge change should make more of a difference, but I'd wait a good long time first.
    It took over a month before my new TT, cartridge and phono pre were fully broken in. It was bright and harsh at first, then flat sounding and uninvoling, now its musical and detailed. I know the weaknesses of the current econimical phono preamp and I'll be getting a new phono pre for Christmas, so it won't be until end of January before I have a good handle on the sound again.

16. dennis1077

I never stopped to consider a break in period. Luckily I'm off for the holidays. I have plenty of time to play LPs!

Interesting point about the cartridge change. I've had a Project Debut iii for AT LEAST 5 years and played A LOT of records. I've never changed the stylus. I'd blame a worn needle but records sounds FLAWLESS when listening through my Project Headbox Amp.

17. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Ingres3225 likes this.
  18. dennis1077

I love it!

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  19. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

You really can't go wrong with Cambridge Audio phono's - I have a 640P (was the hot ticket many years back) (had and sold a 540p to a member here that loved it) that I love to this day. I was going to reply to this thread that you would love it - only to find it is an old thread and you had already came to that conclusion.

20. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi!

Are you still enjoying your Cambridge Solo?

I'm considering buying one. For 175€ it seems to be a good build quality and the 100pf capacity looks up to date with most modern MMs.

What I really like is it has an on/off switch. I have used an Art Dj Pre II for about 2 years now - no problem with this one but the Art looks kind of ugly and the bright switches are also not very nice.

Bye Andrea :wave:

patient_ot and dennis1077 like this.
  21. dennis1077

Still enjoying it! I was literally just thinking about how much I love it. It sits next to my headphone amp and looks aesthetically pleasing. Of course it SOUNDS good as well. Definitely a worthwhile purchase.

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  22. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

Yes. Solid little unit and if looks are important, I think it looks well and fairly discreet. On/Off on front and auto-off feature. No loading options - so if that's important you should look elsewhere. Weirdly the only thing you can adjust is balance - small knob on the rear. I use with RB300 on 90s Planar 3 w/ Goldring G1042. I have used with G1042. G1022 and MP110. I have not used other phono pre's apart from the Rotel mentioned earlier in the thread and which it replaced. So my analysis is hardly thorough or wide-ranging but as a basic user I have no complaints at all regarding its performance at its price.

[Edit] I think there may also be a Cambridge Duo thread which might also be relevant.

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  23. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

For anyone with OCD, a balance knob is a nightmare, pixies will come in the night and adjust it.

GordonM likes this.
  24. dennis1077

It used to bother me. Since it's on the back panel, you forget it's even there.

GordonM likes this.
  25. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi Guys!

I ordered the Cambridge Audio Solo today so I should get it until the weekend. :)

I have some low-frequency hum issues lately. I hope this one will be an improvement over my internal phono stage in the Marantz PM 6006.

Bye Andrea :wave:

GordonM likes this.