Can a cheap turntable damage records (MY 1ST POST!)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dennis1077, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I def notice a difference already. I can't wait to see the difference a "real" turntable makes.

2. dennis1077

Is it possible to have a store do this for you? I'd have no issues paying for a service like this. It's certainly worth the money for peace of mind.

3. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Well as others have mentioned the Project comes with a cartridge already installed. Not sure how good it is, but I'm 100% sure it's way better than what you're using now.

If the Project appeals to you the most, then it's the best choice, especially if you stick with the stock cartridge and thereby avoid any set-up hassles.

4. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

You mentioned that you are going to have to live with this TT for 5-6 years. That being the case, it would really be helpful to audition all three tables before making a choice. $100 price difference over 5-6 years is not much if you are happier with the sound. There may not be much difference, but it is worth the effort to know for sure. A number of times I have learned the hard way by buying something only to find out it was the wrong decision, and it ended up costing me dearly to sell it off and make the right purchase.
    It is a good thing to not have the money in hand, so you will not be tempted to make a hasty decision. Use the time wisely.
    That being said, I don't think you can go too far wrong with any of the three.

5. dennis1077

I won't be able to buy it until AT LEAST mid-Feb so that actually may work in my favor regarding the hasty decision. Would most stores have demos set up of these tables?

6. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

For what it's worth, I went from an old Dual CS-505-3 (which I thought sounded really good) to a Pro-Ject Debut III about a year ago, and the difference in sound was substantial. When I bought the Pro-Ject I had the dealer put an AT-440mla on it for me and I think that is a big part of why it sounds so good...that cartridge is amazing. The whole deal cost me $400 and I couldn't be happier. :)

Having said all that, I don't believe the OP's turntable could be damaging his records. I owned cheaper Technics turntables for years and they did no apparent damage to my records at that time...I still have a lot of those records and they sound great.

7. dennis1077

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8533/.f?sc=2&category=352

I just realized that the Project table comes an option of having a built in Phono pre-amp. Seems kind of a big jump in price, an entire $150 extra. Considering I can pick up a Audio-Technica PEQ-3 pre-amp for about $45, I have to wonder if it's even worth considering.

8. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Philly's a big enough metropolitan area that you should have several high end shops around. Rega, Pro-ject and Music Hall are common entry-level high end brands. With a little leg work you should be able to audition at least 2 of the 3. Plus you can buy local and get all the support that comes with that.

I say a little leg work because high end audio shops tend to have a low profile. You'll need to find them :)

9. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Good advice - also, it is worth buying from a local dealer you like. It can cost a bit more than purchasing on-line, but the help you get from a good dealer is well worth it. Especially if you have problems somewhere down the line or want to upgrade a cartridge or something like that.

10. dennis1077

Yea, I hear that! I TRIED to find them before I made the Pioneer purchase but couldn't find anything outside of Best Buy. Now that I know HOW to find them, I'll check them out.

11. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

No turntable ever to bear the Technics brand name is even remotely comparable to the POS the OP is using. Even the cheapest mid-80s plastic belt drive P-mount Technics would be orders of magnitude better. The Pro-Ject is going rock his world!:edthumbs:

12. PhilBiker

IMO you're much better off with the external unit.

13. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

And I used a cheaper JVC back in the day, and that did not damage my records. However, before I bought my JVC, I used a BSR changer and that most definately did damage my records. The table the OP has is more likely closer to a vintage BSR than it is to a vintage Technics or JVC.

14. dennis1077

God, my turntable sounds BAD. Seriously, I was tipped off just by LOOKING at it. The tonearm looks all flimsy and feels like it's going to snap off. In fact, I've recently acquired some new, sealed records that I've left in the shrinkwrap out of fear they'll be damaged. I guess it worked out in the end, as it led me hear and I've gotten quite the education in the past 3 days.

I can't wait to have the Pro-Ject rock my world! I'm going to isolate for a month straight and just listen to records!

15. dennis1077

Sold! Especially at a savings of $100!

16. Raylinds

Dealers where I live do, but I live in NYC. You may have to go to multiple dealers to hear all three.

17. dennis1077

I went to the Project website hoping they'd give me a list of dealers. It lists ONE place in Ca. So far the only place I've been able to find only carries Music Hall (which I've sort of ruled out since it will set me back an additonal $100). I'm tempted to just buy it online.

18. PhilBiker

That's probably what I would do if I couldn't find it locally.

I'd still recommend going to a couple local hifi shops with one of your favorite records in hand, just to get a feel for the "better" vinyl experience. These guys are really great for the most part, and who knows you may get lucky and they'll have a used traded-in table that tickles your fancy.

19. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

Truth be told I'm not familiar with that Pioneer table, I just figured it would be in the same league as the Technics. I remember having one of the inexpensive linear trackers with a P-mount cartridge. SL-J2 I think? Anyway, I digress, sorry... :)

20. BigManAndy

BigManAndy Active Member

Hell yes! :D

21. dennis1077

Yea, I'll likely end up doing this. Living in such a large metro area is a blessing and a curse. True, just about any company should have a dealer in the "Philadelphia area," but the area is so big, that can be an hour away. I'm pretty certain there are no dealers in my neck of the woods and it's going to be quite a drive to through congested roadways to seek one out.

22. Raylinds

You also might consider getting a used TT on Audiogon. This audiophile community is known to have reliable sellers. Almost my whole system was purchased from there and I never had a problem.

Check it out here: http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?anlgtabl&1&ctg&st1

23. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

You seem like you are really into this vinyl thing but seriously, you find it too hard to drive an hour to audition a turntable on your short list that you are likely to own for 5 or 6 years? With turntables and speakers especially, it is really important to audition it for yourself.

I don't mean any offense, but you seem to have more desire than committment. Eventually you have to get off the computer and get out and do some legwork.

24. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Dennis, have you called or gone to see any of the local Philadelphia-area turntable sellers people suggested to you in this thread? That's your next step.

That is the distributor, not a Project dealer. e-mail him to get your local Project dealer. [email protected]

25. Toka

Toka Active Member

This place is in Glenside (right off 611):

http://www.tsto.com/

They are a Rega dealer and appear to sell used items as well. Give them a call and see what they can set up for you with your budget.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.