Can a Netflix Movie Be Considered a "Real" Movie?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Mar 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

A movie is a movie. Where it is shown upon release is fairly irrelevant.

2. spindly

spindly Forum Resident

3. spindly

spindly Forum Resident

Chain theaters are apparently reluctant to screen Netflix or Amazon movies that do not observe a gap between theatrical and home release.

Roma and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs are two recent movies to have simultaneous theater and streaming releases because Netflix made deals with independent cinemas.

Also: GREAT point about the screeners.

Academy members would have been well served to see Roma in a theater that could project 65mm and play surround sound.

4. What is the point of yet another award show in a sea of useless award shows?
    Netflix, Amazon, HBO and the like probably do not care about such awards because they already get their viewership, and revenue, without said award show.

Since the award shows have been watered down to the point of having, "The semi weekly, Tuesday Afternoon Special Award for Wonderful People in the Industry Awards" and hence having removed any real validity, they really don't matter anymore.

Even the big, old standard, award shows like the Oscars have been ruined by political and personal input rather than having actual merit revolving around a movies credibility and impact.
    The award shows have suffocated themselves with their own hands. The only problem is they just don't know they are dead yet.

5th-beatle and Spencer R like this.
  5. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

[​IMG]

Ted Turner...Been There​

6. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

Spielberg probably still uses a Walkman

Hot Ptah likes this.
  7. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

then what are the emmy's tv movie awards for?

Technocentral likes this.
  8. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Bad movies.

9. the pope ondine

not a dry eye in the house!
    [​IMG]

somnar and Mazzy like this.
  10. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

I'm too jaded by sh:-plnktn-:tty lifetime movies at this point!

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Are LIFETIME movies real movies? Asking for a friend.

12. the pope ondine

or syfy? do we let sharknado in?

13. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

My wife and mother in law say yes - quite enthusiastically.

14. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

They are movies, but they are considered AA or AAA (in Baseball Terms)
    Weaker actors. Weaker direction. Weak cinematography. Limp music. They goes for TV movies in general. Although I think HBO & Showtime do a great job

15. steppednwhat

steppednwhat I hallucinate on Dr. Pepper

It's all about the do,re, mi. IMHO awards are worthless. I don't watch the Oscars or the Grammys. I don't buy media per awards won. I listen to music and if I like it, I buy it. I'll read a review of a movie, or base purchasing on the actors/directors/stories involved. I haven't been to the theater since "American Hustle". I had to see Amy on the big screen!

Ghostworld likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Jones was nominated a record eight times for a real Best Animated Short Film Oscar, and those are legitimate. Jones and the Warner Bros. cartoon department were (and are) very important in the great history of Hollywood films from the 1920s through the 1960s.

I think we would lose a lot of the grand and glorious tradition of cinema if we were to lose all theaters. I'd go so far as to say I hope I don't live long enough to see that happen; it was bad enough to see Tower Records go bankrupt, all the video stores closing, and all physical media start to go away. Losing theaters would be awful. Movies are a great part of life for some of us, and it'd be a really ****ty world if we couldn't see a great film with a large, appreciative audience.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hawt. My problem was that was my first Bradley Cooper and I've hated him ever since! I cant' shake it! I always see him as a slime ball!

18. Vidiot

That's Spielberg's argument. But again: is Martin Scorsese's upcoming $140 million Netflix Mafia picture with DeNiro, Pacino, and Joe Pesci just a TV movie? Or is it a legitimate movie?

There's very different rules for film and music, even in terms of copyrights or budgets or how they're released. I would argue that Streaming is basically a new kind of Radio, not a retail purchase. Downloads would be a retail purchase that competes with CD, because then you actually have the file on your own drive/iPod/whatever.

LivingForever likes this.
  19. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

As I said in one or the other thread, movie buffs in L.A., San Francisco, New York, and places like that will always have theatres showing movies for the critical mass of cinephiles in big cities. Just as music aficionados have kept vinyl alive in a digital era, there will always be historic theatres or high end theatres catering to the passionate few who care. But the generic eight-screen mall multiplex in small- and medium-sized cities across the country is going to take a deserved beating over the next five to ten years, because it offers next to nothing to differentiate the “theatre experience” from what’s possible at home now.

Deesky likes this.
  20. Vidiot

I agree, but I'm not happy about it. I think we're seeing the death of mass-market cinema, just in slow motion.

21. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

As I’ve made clear, just because a movie is funded by Netflix doesn’t automatically make it a cheap made-for-TV movie. But throwing megabucks at one of the most overrated directors in history to make his umpteenth rehash of his tired Mafia picture formula isn’t how I would spend my billions if I were Netflix. On the other hand, it probably is as safe a credibility bet as they can make.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Dillydipper and Deesky like this.
  22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

If indeed "credibility" were as desirable result as, "quality".

23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’m not happy about it, either. The movies were special when I was growing up. But going to a crappy multiplex theatre to see the zillionth installment of some idiotic Star Wars, Marvel comic book, Harry Potter, or other “franchise” or “tentpole movie” on a screen not much bigger or better than what’s affordable at home now, paying $10 for 25 cents’ worth of popcorn, being subjected to tinnitus by the cranked-to-eleven sound mix, having to go to the lobby to ask someone to ask the projectionist to turn off the overhead lighting after the movie has started, hoping that everyone remembered to turn their phone off, etc. etc. isn’t special. The industry brought its death on itself.

And, over the past ten or twenty years, scripted television drama has transformed itself from the red-headed stepchild of Hollywood and entered a Golden Age that matches whatever the peak of Hollywood was. The news isn’t all bad for stories told via moving pictures. Things change. Movies killed lots of older forms of live entertainment, talkies killed silent pictures, Jaws and Star Wars killed the quality mainstream Hollywood movie for adults, and so on and so forth. Nowadays TV shows such as Mad Men and The Crown fill the intelligent drama for grown ups and lavish period drama niches that Hollywood has slowly abandoned.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  24. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Is "Ernest Goes to Jail" a legitimate movie, then?

SandAndGlass and Spencer R like this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

no

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.