Can a record still be considered Near Mint if...?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Telemark, Apr 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Telemark

Telemark Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just bought a little batch of records to flip. Some of them are pretty collectible. They’re all in great shape, but one thing is bugging me:

if a record smells like weed, can you still list it as Near Mint?

(question is mostly for humorous purposes, but I suppose there’s a discussion to be had here...)

Crimson Witch and uzn007 like this.
  2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

No, and you should disclose that if you list it.

And please read the Classified rules, which include:

• We ask that items listed for sale to be from your personal collection.
    • We also ask that items purchased be for the buyer's own personal use, and not for resale.

MrSka57, ARK, Goldy and 7 others like this.
  3. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Have you tried getting the smell out? I didn’t think items could retain weed smell like they do with tobacco - usually weed smell goes away pretty fast.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  4. Telemark

I’m definitely going to air them out. It wasn’t what I was expecting when I went to pick them up....

thanks for the rules reminder, Jerry.

tmtomh and Jerry like this.
  5. Telemark

This isn’t covered in the Goldmine guide!

Goldy, Gaslight, nick99nack and 2 others like this.
  6. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

This raises a larger (serious) question. Goldmine standards don't mention odor of any kind... how do people generally handle that? Can a record be VG+ if it smells musty or smoky but is otherwise in excellent shape?

Also, OP, don't forget to check the creases in the middle of gatefold jackets!

black sheriff and Crimson Witch like this.
  7. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

The problem with odor is a lot of people don't notice it. I've bought albums before that smell like someone's house but since they live in it, they're not going to notice it when sending it out. Unless it's got a real bad funk of some kind, this kind of thing doesn't bother me.

8. Telemark

I would hate to get done for sending illicit substances across borders! :cop:

uzn007 likes this.
  9. Telemark

I’m pretty sure the house of the dude I bought them from (and he was a dude, dude) smells like weed 24/7.

uzn007 likes this.
  10. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

If a record has an odor I use slightly damp paper towels and wipe every side of the cover, and the inside pocket carefully. Let each section get some sun for 15-20 minutes. Clean the vinyl too naturally.

MerseyBeatle, uzn007 and Jerry like this.
  11. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

Sometimes I get a bunch of vintage records that have been undisturbed for over 50 years and the odor is an added attraction that I love. If it is just mild age smell and not weed, tobacco or animal.

12. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

weed / tobacco = tar residue = bad.

I always used to (when I collected) pass on anything with the slightest odor of either. No matter how collectible or rare, or otherwise immaculately kept. Just another one of the myriad reasons I stopped collecting vinyl and switched to a CD-only/factory-sealed ONLY buying policy. Smoking stinks in more ways than one.

Tarred-to-death is the way of the smoker.

13. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Yeah, either the dude was smoking all the time or at least did it while packing the records. Either way without ventilation.

14. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

If you own a record (i.e. you paid for it, or someone gave it to you), it is part of your personal collection. Is that even debatable?

All Down The Line, ET3311 and 4-2-7 like this.
  15. Pali Gap

I would argue a more appropriate response would be 'Yes, BUT you MUST disclose that if you list it'.

Let's be honest, there are no real guidelines for a smelly record, this is very subjective territory. If the record is in 'near-mint' condition (by definition), then the grade deserves to be 'near-mint' as long as the 'obvious smell' is clearly stated in the description.

I don't understand how you can tell him it cannot be listed as near-mint??

All Down The Line likes this.
  16. Jerry

No. We just are discouraging flippers and professional sellers.

17. Jerry

I would agree that any discernible odor would prohibit it from being listed as NM.

18. Pali Gap

Fine, but what grade would you deem to be acceptable in that case? And if we asked 5 other 'vinyl experts' would they be able to agree? No!
    My point is that there are no guidelines specified in the Goldmine (Discogs) grading system regarding a 'smelly cover', therefore you cannot objectively let it affect the grade of the Lp. It should, however, be disclosed by the seller assuming it's obvious.

19. Jerry

I think that the important thing regarding odor is not grading, it’s full disclosure. Odor is a huge dealbreaker. I’m not just talking about a faint pot or tobacco smell, but a mildewy smell that would kill most deals no matter how good vinyl condition, price or desirability.

20. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

Is it weird that I would pay extra for this?

21. I've been having really bad luck lately with LPs that I've ordered reeking of mildew. That's a bigger deal breaker to me than a slightly over-graded LP.

22. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

If there is any doubt then it can't be NM. NM should be like it was freshly opened and have no signs of use. Smell is a sign of use and age.

Garson likes this.
  23. Pali Gap

Yes lol...

24. Pali Gap

Smell
    That is simply your opinion, although smell is certainly NOT a sign of 'use'. I would argue if it's flawless vinyl in a pristine cover, with an obvious smell, it can still be a 'NM' grade as long as the smell is clearly stated in the description. There is no subjective way to 'grade' a 'smell', that is my whole point. I'm sure the selling price would also reflect the smell.

You *should* be able to get rid of most smells with a combo of fresh air/sunshine/ventilation/Lysol, a then store it with some baking soda for a while.

25. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Only if you try to smoke it. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.