Can a record still be considered Near Mint if...?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Telemark, Apr 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident

I’d like to expand on this with an example for sale ad that is sure to get top dollar, while providing full disclosure, if one were to incorporate this smell grade system.

For sale: Steely Dan - Aja

Upon removing this classic from my shelf, a hint of entry level VG+ odor fills the room. When I remove the LP from the Japanese die-cut inner sleeve, the strongest VG++ is present as I examine the dead wax etchings with the record within 3 inches of my face. Original custom art inner sleeve included with moderate VG- dankness at the edges, but the strongest VG to VG+ smells at the center of the inner. As I place the stylus on the record, there is a faint VG- smell in the lead-in groove, but as the record gets going and Fagen gets cooking, I only smell the sweetest VG++ that this masterpiece demands.

90 shipped.

All Down The Line likes this.
  2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Once he has bought it could he not make a case that it Is from his personal collection and even so provided the "new" buyer and seller are happy with the price where is the transgression?
    Edit: Iam no flipper or pro dealer just an interested party.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Classic!

4. If it smells like weed, you can make the smell go away. It's not hard. More importantly, I would play grade it, and if you can't do that, at least play grade the beginning few seconds of either side and in the silence between the tracks. I would play grade the most worst looking parts of the album under a very bright light or outside with the power of the sun reigning down (only for a few seconds of course). Nothing is worse than receiving a record not as described. A moldy smell means the lp gets chucked in the bin. A weed smell can be rid.

5. A record is NM is it has only one or two streaks along the center hole AND it looks like it was maybe played up to three times tops and that it was properly loved and cared for. No marks at all for the most part. It must almost look like it's fresh from the package. Anything slightly less means it's excellent. Excellent is a killer grade for an lp. Now an old Blue Note or Riverside lp can be manhandled more and still sound respectable. I have such lps that looks vg but that play vg+ and the dynamic range is totally there.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Ex or Excellent is a grade not used in Goldmine Grading. Excellent is now allowed to be used in the SH Forums classifieds iirc.

VG+ is the most abused grade I've come across. Ex is also wide open for abuse.

So VG+ in the next step down from NM. Or if one really feels that their item is too good for VG++ even, then one could grade NM-. A VG++ cold look less than NM under inspection, but plays like a NM LP. That's right surface smudges from a paper liner in storage for 35 years, and several noticeable spindle marks on both labels, but damn if the darn LP don't play fricken fantastic with fidelity that jumps outta the damn speakers at you. Give this a VG+++ for sound quality, and you let the buyer know that they are in for a great play copy. Why not. But don't jack me around with Ex LPs, I have been burned too many times from (mostly UK) sellers using this trashed grade for their high priced worn out junk. And that is why it is not acceptable in the SH forums to use it.

7. Excellent is a step above VG+. Do your research.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Typing error sorry. It is NOT allowed in SH Forums classifieds as a record grade.

9. Agree. Although not used here, I find a properly applied EX grading reflects a step below NM/M- and a step above VG+ without putting in a bunch of extra +'s.

Archguy and All Down The Line like this.
  10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I did the research long before you did. Goldmine grading has been the standard for serious collectors and sellers as well. Read it. There is a reason SH Forums do not allow it as a vinyl grade here.

Yes, not used here, not allowed. You got that right.

11. 1/ Ex or Excellent is a grade not used in Goldmine Grading.

Wrong. This from Goldmine:
    VERY GOOD PLUS (VG+) or EXCELLENT (E)

A good description of a VG+ record is “except for a couple minor things, this would be Near Mint.” Most collectors, especially those who want to play their records, will be happy with a VG+ record, especially if it toward the high end of the grade (sometimes called VG++ or E+).

2/ Excellent is not allowed to be used in the SH Forums classifieds iirc.
    Correct. But the OP had not stated that he was planning on selling/flipping here.

3/ VG+ is the most abused grade I've come across. Ex is also wide open for abuse.
    Agree. But any grading will be abused by many sellers, whether intentional or not.

12. whisaeri000

whisaeri000 Well-Known Member

Leave them in a room with a few cut lemons and close the door. It has helped the smell on most collections I have purchased that have been smokey or had seen one to many goodnights

Johnta7 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.