Can anyone recommend a simple way to convert WAV to FLAC in bulk?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by InStepWithTheStars, May 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you Thread Starter

Here's the situation: I've been using iTunes to rip my CD collection to WAV and have been storing it on multiple flash drives. (WAV because it's compatible with all programs, iTunes because of habit, flash drives because I've had three hard drives and all three have failed.)

To save space, I want to convert those WAV files to FLAC; I have about 650 releases (a decent amount of which are multi-disc sets) and I'd like to know if there's an easy way to convert them all automatically. I don't care about metadata – as long as the file path and file name remain the same, I'll be happy.

I've only recently started using Foobar, but as far as I know, I would have to load the files into Foobar to convert them, and since there's no metadata I'd have to add the artist and album title to sort it properly when it converts. I'd like to know if there's a more automated, expedited way to go about converting multiple folders in one go (and retaining the sorting) – either with Foobar or another program. Or if it would be faster to just rip all of those CDs again, directly to FLAC this time.

Thanks!

2. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

XLD on the Mac will batch convert and replicate the folder structure. #freeware

jfeldt, COBill and PopularChuck like this.
  3. InStepWithTheStars

Oops! Should have clarified that I use Windows 7.

4. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

dBpoweramp (at least the paid version) comes with a bulk converter.

5. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

6. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I've used MediaHuman with fine success. Free and compatible w/ Windows 7.

7. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

If you just want to keep your folder structure and filenames, you should be able to do that with Foobar. How are your folders organized? I usually have a folder for the artists, containing the folders for each album. To keep that structure, I would put the following line in the field for "Name format":

$directory(%path%,2)/$directory(%path%,1)/%filename%

If you have more folder levels, you can just add another directory path.

$directory(%path%,3)/$directory(%path%,2)/$directory(%path%,1)/%filename%)

You will have to be specific with your output path of course, so the new files won't end up in the folders of your WAV files.

If the number of folders in your structure varies though, this might become messy.

jfeldt likes this.
  8. wolfram

The most direct way would probably be to set "Output path" to "Source track folder", use only %filename% as Name format and afterward delete the old WAV files. I would strongly recommend making a backup copy of your library before that, just in case.

And don't forget the settings for album art under "Other/When done" (Transfer attached pictures).

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  9. InStepWithTheStars

Here's an example of how I have my filepath broken down, from the drive all the way down to the file:

C:\Users\Dumbo\Music\Reference Library\Cotton Mather\Kontiki (1997 - Copper Records - CPR 2249 - 0617663224928)\01 Camp Hill Rail Operator.wav

So there are multiple artist folders in the Reference Library folder, and multiple albums (with year, label, catalog number, and barcode) within the artist folder. This organization is why I don't need metadata.

I'm not sure I follow how the string you typed works, though. Do I have to replace %path% with something? Or is it all automated? I'm still learning Foobar, I just installed it a few days ago (primarily to decode HDCD, which worked miracles on Tom Petty's Playback) and I'm still learning the ropes.

Thanks to all others who offered suggestions – since I already have Foobar I'll try this, but if it doesn't work the way I want it to I'll come back to your other suggestions. Many thanks! :wave:

10. InStepWithTheStars

Will this allow me to do multiple folders at once? For instance, I have 11 albums in my Black Keys artist folder – will your suggestion let me convert all 11 of those at once and keep the files in the original folders?

11. wolfram

This will allow you to convert as many folders as you want at once. The new FLAC files will end up in your original folders, so every file will be there twice, one WAV and one FLAC. That's why you will have to delete the WAV files afterwards.

Stringman and InStepWithTheStars like this.
  12. InStepWithTheStars

Sounds like I've got an answer to my question. Thank you, and thanks to everyone who contributed.

Now to see if I can find out how to start the conversion process without blowing up my computer. :p

wolfram likes this.
  13. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I was going to recommend Foobar, so I’m glad you are already looking at it. I haven’t tried it but there should be a way to tell it to keep directories when you convert, but...

This is a good way, and easy. You can perform a search in explorer for *.wav at the end or use the foobar query bar if your WAVs are in there.

wolfram likes this.
  14. wolfram

This is how I would do it too.

15. wolfram

Don't forget to activate "Transfer attached pictures", so you will keep images that are embedded in your WAV files.

I would do it in bulks, like all folders from A-E, then F-J, and so on.

16. InStepWithTheStars

Many many thanks @wolfram, I was deliberating spending hours re-ripping all of these CDs and your solution (I went with the second post) is working just fine. Although I did say "without blowing up my computer", and several seconds after starting the process, the whole thing locked up for a few seconds... I thought I did! :laugh:

I don't have pictures attached to my WAV files, I didn't even think that was possible. I don't use metadata in my reference libraries, which is the main thing I want converted. (I do 99% of my playback through Audacity, where metadata doesn't matter.) Actually, I'd like to know if Foobar can strip metadata from files, I've got a bunch of FLAC downloads from Qobuz that have their wonky metadata where all the info is stuffed into the comments, it would be nice to remove all that.

17. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

In foobar, Right click the file or group of files, pick properties. On the bottom left there is an option that is something like “remove all”

wolfram likes this.
  18. wolfram

You can load the files with metadata in Foobar, select them, open "Properties", select all the metadata listed, press delete and click on OK.

Though I couldn't live without my metadata. :D

19. wolfram

That should work as well.

20. InStepWithTheStars

Thanks! I have nothing against metadata, but I do have OCD, and when I've got 650-ish CD releases ripped (some being multi-disc sets) with no metadata in a reference library I don't use in any player, I'd rather strip the metadata from the 100 or so downloads I have than manually re-add them to several thousand songs. :laugh:

wolfram likes this.
  21. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

22. MIOM

MIOM Music Is Our Mind

On a side note, if you've had three hard drives fail you might look into the quality of drives you buy, or the system in which they've resided.

23. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Thread closed at OP request.

Carl Swanson and timind like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.