Can anyone tell visually what AT cart this is?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dan, Aug 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan

Dan Senior Member Thread Starter

It's on a 1979 Yamaha YP-B2. The only pic that I have unfortunately. Is it an AT95?

Imgur

2. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Does not look like an AT95 to me at all. AT95 styluses mount to the very front of the cart body. This one appears to be mounted in the middle

3. Dan

Me either. The person I was dealing with doesn't know and can't see any markings on the cart.

4. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

do you know what turntable it is? perhaps this is the stock cart, or at least a period correct one. Might help narrow it down.

5. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Not an AT95. Likely an older OOP model. Maybe a 12 series? Someone will chime in. In the meantime you can scan the database at Vinyl Engine for old AT models and see if you find something that visually looks close.

7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

They had a lot of models that looked very similar. If you un-mount it from the headshell, the model number will be written on the top of the cartridge.
    -Bill

Lucca90 and astro70 like this.
  8. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

It is in the AT11 or AT12 series. If looking for a stylus, look for styli for those. The same base cartridge was sold with a lot of different model numbers, for various retailers and original turntable manufacturers, and different styli.

muskrat and McLover like this.
  9. Dan

Bill thanks, I can remember the AT markings from my old p-mount now, on the top. I'll have to have him look.

10. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It could be LS311, LS911, or a whole lot of other models. Those stylus are fairly interchangeable, I believe. I'd not lose a lot of sleep over it; it's not gonna be a giant slayer anyway. I'd replace it with a newer model.
    -Bill

11. Dan

Turns out it’s an AT3311E, so in the same series at the AT11 and 12.

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

AT 12E variant, basically. Which is a very good cartridge provided your stylus is good.

13. Dan

The stylus on the TT is of unknown provenance so I'll be on the lookout. Lots available, I just want to make sure the one I buy is what it says it is. Too many sellers with one-size-fits-all listings.

14. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

I recently picked up a used Technics table with one of these installed. It came with an aftermarket stylus with a slightly skewed cantilever. I haven't bought a replacement stylus for it yet, but my research uncovered a couple of things. Many consider it a better cartridge than the AT95. Genuine Audio Technica replacement styli, both conical and 0.4 x 0.7 mil bonded elliptical, are readily available and reasonably priced. More advanced genuine AT styli are hard to find and expensive. More advanced aftermarket styli are available from a number of sellers (ViVid Line from LP Gear, Bliss brand Shibata from TurntableNeedles, etc.)

At some point, I'll probably pick up one of the 0.4 x 0.7 mil genuine AT replacement styli and give it a listen. It was basically a throw in with the table. So, for around 30 bucks for a replacement stylus, it should be a decent, but not great, usable cartridge. If I end up liking it, I may end up trying the LP Gear ViVid Line replacement stylus on it. I've been wanting to give one of those a try and this seems like a good candidate for one.

astro70 and Dan like this.
  15. Dan

Bought a 629-DE stylus and it blows the doors off of whatever AT branded stylus was on there before. What a difference.

Now if I can get the 45rpm issue solved this could be a nice TT on the cheap.

16. muskrat

muskrat Well-Known Member

Search fleabay with the # on the cart and it will show you the recommended stylus. I have an ats13 that has one of those 4 didget # on it. Phanstiehl actually makes decent stylus for AT. A .3x.7 for under $20 unless it's an ats13 or 14. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.