Can I augment current system with tubes on a budget?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ceddy10165, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Budgetphile

Budgetphile Forum Resident

Anyone compare the Budgie and the project Tube-box s? They’re the same price. I am pondering moving from the Mani to the Budgie. I recently listened to an all tube system and could not believe how real it sounded. I would be happy to even have a taste of that Tubey goodness in my system.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Not sure what you budget is, also, don't take it as "advice", but rather - I will share my own solution to exactly the same issue you;re having.

In my bedroom system, where the integrated amp is solid state, I make sure to use tube phono stages, Pro-Ject Tube Box S and DS. Cost - $400-450 apiece (I have two). That way I have tube sound at least for vinyl playback. DS is now on sale everywhere for $399, from the original $699.

In the bedroom, I have a PrimaLuna ProLogue Four tube power amp, that pretty much gives tube sound to all components. Cost - $899, on sale from Upscaleaudio.com, and still available.

PrimaLuna ProLogue Four Stereo Power Amplifier - New / Full Warranty

Or, if you don't have a separate preamp/power amp system, they have a Mystere tube integrated, by the same maker as PrimaLuna, also reasonably priced on sale:

Mystere ia11 Integrated Amplifier

So, you can introduce tubes into your system for anywhere from $400 to $1300 with quality components, and not gimmicks.

matteos, H8SLKC and ceddy10165 like this.
  3. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

You could say that about any component in the chain though. Everything does something to the sound and it won't just happen on certain recordings.

We each have to choose what pleases us most and hopefully one's system isn't so coloured that it makes everything sound the same. A buffer definitely isn't supposed to do that. To my mind it should simply add a little dimensionality and enhance the soundstage and things of that nature (as well as correct impedance mismatches). It should ideally be something subtle but unmistakable.

4. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

ceddy10165 likes this.
  5. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

That's why it's not in my main system. :agree:

6. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll Thread Starter

I’ve been looking at these too, but there seem to be concerns with non-compliant safety specs, short lifespan and non-existent customer service, warranty and return options.

It seems as thought the customer reviews, when balanced between performance, longevity and service are hit or miss.

Based on this thread, I’m leaning towards concentrating on front-end, upping my budget, and not going the buffer route.

7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Exactly my circumstance, right down to the CD manufacturer. The buffer fleshed out the instruments nicely, especially music featuring solo piano, string quartets and small jazz combos. The effect isn't as noticeable on rock, orchestral or big band recordings.

I won't dispute the effect would be greater with actual tube amplification, of course. But the buffer is a nice appetizer.

H8SLKC likes this.
  8. Hglaser

Hglaser Well-Known Member

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Had to clean things up as your quoting efforts are almost as sloppy as your schoolyard-caliber insults.

A company's way of dealing with a faulty product says a lot about them. If a company's customer service stinks, as in they don't get back to you for many days at a time, it's impossible to get a hold of somebody, and the only way to get any traction is to create a ticket on some crummy counterintuitive system, it doesn't matter which product a person buys from it since the moment there is an issue with any of its products, he/she will be at the mercy of that lovely customer service. A number of our members could give you firsthand detailed experiences about it. It's not pretty. Any person with even one iota of common sense would conclude that is something best avoided.

If you believe the "head buried in the sand" approach is a great way to instill customer confidence and operate the customer service branch of a company, I sure hope you are not in any position of power wherever you work... though it might account for your rather amusingly ill-conceived efforts in ineffectively dismissing any issues thoroughly explained by many a member in that aforementioned thread.

10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I got in by buying a Tube Box preamp for my turntable. Was inexpensive from a forum member and I think there is one for sale right now. That made a pretty significant difference and introduced me to tube sound for under $500. I have since upgraded significantly and I see a tube amp in my future.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  11. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I would look at the Kingko KA 101 intwgrated at $830 including shipping. Yes it's more than you want but it's good enough to be your final anplifier. Provided you have reasonable easy to drive loudspeakers. I reviewed the amp for dagogo and you can also read my interview with the owner. It's one of the best bargains in audio IMO.

12. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

I bought a Bottlehead Foreplay a few years ago that was supposedly built by the main man at Bottlehead (Doc). I love it. I think I paid $400 for it. It has some of the high end upgrades that were available (like stepped attenuators). It uses a matched pair of vintage RCA clear top 12AU7 tubes. So small and simple but it sounds so good. Using it with restored/re-manufactured Dynaco MK3s. I would probably buy another Bottlehead Foreplay if I could find one for sale.

[​IMG]
    Came with gold/copper/brass colored splatter paint over black on the transformer. :shrug:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dynaco MK3 for the right channel with vintage NOS Tung-Sol 6550s and vintage Mullard 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier.

(All RCA cables have been replaced with quality cables since these pics were taken.)

Dennis0675, ceddy10165 and Sugar Man like this.
  13. Hglaser

Hglaser Well-Known Member

I think you've demonstrated for all to see who's prone to schoolyard insults and sloppy thinking. There's nothing here I need to add to.

14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The words of a man who can't back up his stances. Thanks for playing. :)

15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I don’t know if it’s been suggested but a headphone amp with a tube might be a good option.

16. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Some tube amps shoot them selves in the foot by using the wrong tubes. A 12AU7 is a perfect example. It is a redesigned stellar 6SN7 revised in a miniature package called the 12AU7. A terrible non linear tube. Even Collins radio complained to RCA and RCA developed the 5814 to replace the 12AU7 that helped linearity a little.

Anyways the Yaqin MC-100B gets it right with the right tubes. Change out the four Chinese 6SN7s for Sylvania 6SN7GTA, The GTA guarantees pre 1954 tubes that sound best. Then, buy two RCA 12AX7 black tall plate tubes to replace the Chinese 12AX7. This 60 watts per channel amp will floor you in performance and costs $800 shipped to your door. Reviews on this amp are great.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Dennis0675 and vconsumer like this.
  17. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

Used as a cathode follower, the 12AU7 is okay. Using it as a voltage amp is another story.

18. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I agree cathode follower or phase inverter not bad with 12AU7. Brimar 13D5 may show a slight performance edge in cathode follower.

19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Do you have that Yaqin or spent time with it? I really couldn't be more suspicious of the Amazon tube amps that chip from China.

20. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

My friend had one and it was a serious performer with the Sylvania 6SN7GTA & RCA 12AX7 black plate. The KT-88s were replaced with Gold Lion KT88, but the KT-88 that come with the Yaqin are likely very good. I am also suspicious with Chinese amps too, but this amp is an exception IMO. Audio Note would cost a lot more and may not sound that much better. The Bob Latino KT88 cannot touch the Yaqin in performance. I had a few come across my bench from new owners complaining about the performance and even with upgrades it was not so good. Perhaps the Bob Latino audio transformers were holding it back, the 12AU7 were definitely holding it back- bad tube.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Dennis0675 likes this.
  21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Good to hear, it's nice to have a solid option for something new that is under $1,000. Buying from amazon is nice protection if it fails right out of the box but other than that it's buying option that comes with no support after the purchase.

22. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

For some reason you do not like it, you could likely sell it for $100 loss. I lost more than that on purchases that did not work out!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That the kind of logic that ends with me having a rack of equipment I'm not using. I'm pretty bad about selling, I buy stuff because its a good deal (and I want it) then it never gets moved on.

Benzion likes this.
  24. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Oh, tough decision.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  25. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

That's how I built my second system = by having a hard time selling stuff. It started around I pair of speakers I was going to sell. One day before the auction was to end, I pulled them from ebay and decided to keep them. Then, lo and behold - I built a bedroom system around them. I now have a receiver sitting in a box, and that worries me...

Dennis0675 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.