Can I subscribe to Apple Music and not affect my local library?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ZenArcher, Dec 1, 2022.

1. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi, maybe someone could help me with an Apple Music question…

I have a very large library of files in my Mac’s Music app, much too large to sync with Apple Music. I do not want my local library altered in any way. If I subscribe to Apple Music on my iPhone, what will happen to my local Mac library? I’d like to use Apple Music and leave my library untouched. Would I create another library just for Apple Music?

Thanks!

2. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

Here's an opinion that says No.
    Apple Music and "Local" Files - Apple Community
    Nonetheless, I like the idea of a separate lib.

3. arem

arem Forum Resident

You can specify what folder you want Apple Music to use as its library in the preferences, so just create a new library folder for Apple Music to use. It will never know you have other music in a different folder.

Grissongs and bdfin like this.
  4. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member Thread Starter

Interesting read, thanks. Yeah, create a library with a few tracks in it, subscribe and see
    Thanks! I’m going to try just that and report back.

5. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

You can use Apple Music for streaming on an iPhone that is synced with your Mac’s library, just be sure to leave iCloud Music Library turned off. You can browse and play albums without affecting your Mac library, as you are not able to save anything. If you want to maintain a separate Apple Music library, you will need a separate device with iCloud Music Library turned on.

Ntotrar and SamS like this.
  6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Following....

mwheelerk likes this.
  7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

This is the correct answer.

Galley and Ntotrar like this.
  8. BruceS

Although I don't intend to use Apple Music, I'd still like to know if this applies to a computer as well. For example, if I wanted to maintain a separate Apple Music library on my iMac, would that require a second computer? Or does this apply only to an iOS device?

9. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

You can't really use Apple Music without Cloud Sync on. I know...because it's the only way I used it last month--you can't basically "favorite" anything...can't download anything locally(because in the background that also "adds to library"...all of that is tied to having cloud sync on.

So, the short answer is no you can't. Of course--it was detailed above how you can create a different iTunes library file that's empty...BUT....then you can't use your original library for anything, as it's tied to the same AppleID, thus it will attempt to sync it.

When I cancelled Apple Music last year, my local library was in tatters. Luckily, I backed it all up prior, so I just restored it rather than try to fix it all. But, it's a really super **** thing Apple is doing with this. I feel like they're intentionally doing this so that if someone cancels their AM sub, they find so many problems, which are overwhelming to the average "not computer person" that they just reenable the sub so they can access their music and/or have it look the way they're used to.

....I will also say that it made me feel less paranoid at having made the decision years ago to never put my lossless "master" files into itunes.

Beech and Ilusndweller like this.
  10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yes, applies to a computer. You can either maintain a second library, or turn iCloud Music Library off.

I’ve been using Apple Music without cloud sync for years.

The best way I’ve found to use/listen to a local music library is just to use a completely separate app.

Ntotrar likes this.
  11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

The first time I tried several years ago it messed up my personal library files so badly that I am very hesitant to try again though I am a bit of an "Apple fan-boy"...

BruceS likes this.
  12. BruceS

Good to know...I thought it was just me, kind of...I mean about the lib files getting messed up. Took me some time to recover, and will not try again. I'm OK with iTunes for files and Amazon HD for streaming.

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

How about if you already have your music library in a different place? I keep all my stored media on a D-drive: documents, music, pictures, video...none of these are stored in your standard Windows-libraries-designated "my-" anything. So, if Windows doesn't know where to look for anything, why should iGestapo?

BruceS likes this.
  14. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I am still using iTunes on a PC with a large library of ripped CDs. I also use Apple Music.

I don’t think any of my music files have been changed by either iTunes or me using Apple Music on multiple mobile devices, but am of a cautious disposition. I keep multiple backups of my ripped music out of reach of iTunes.

Every time I rip a CD I rip an ALAC version which gets added to my iTunes library, and a FLAC version which is completely separate. The cumulative time I have spent ripping 1200+ CDs is such that I really don’t want to have to do it again.

I have had a handful of occasions where an ALAC rip on my PC has become corrupted (file name scrambled and / or music no longer playable). I have always thought this is more likely to be either a Windows or hard drive problem rather than an iTunes one, but when it’s happened I have always been able to go to the FLAC version and use it to replace the corrupted file.

15. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

This was a problem when the service was first introduced. Going from memory, since I’m not at my Mac, I took the following steps:
    • In Music settings turn off library sync
    • Temporarily move a copy of your file library to another location
    • In settings, turn off the features that allow the program to automatically download artwork.
    • Also turn off the feature that allows the program to organize your library.
    • Delete your Apple Music library from the location it was uploading from AND delete the library that you see in your iTunes-like screen.
      recopy your files from the backup location
    • Resync to the Apple cloud
    The library migrations can be run overnight so you don’t have to sit around waiting for them.

In cases where Apple had overwritten artwork or metadata, I personally found it simpler to re-rip the disc rather than manually updating artwork etc., but YMMV on this one.

Overall, I found this to be a manageable process once I developed a routine, but it did require some time. Now that it’s done I’m happy with the results.

BruceS likes this.
  16. BruceS

Nicely done, and a followable process. Nonetheless, I've split the difference. iTunes/Amazon HD. In fact, while I have 5 Macs, I prefer not being completely subsumed by Appleworld. Phone is Android, for example.

JeffMo likes this.
  17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

What I find interesting about this thread and many others on SHF is that I suspect many of us are computer literate and even have technical backgrounds, and even we struggle with these computer audiophile topics.

How does a layman have any chance with all the hardware/software/compatibility/obsolescence issues?!? :sigh:

Beech, SamS and BruceS like this.
  18. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

They stream files of various quality from their phones into Bluetooth headphones of various quality while laughing at us perfectionists.

BruceS and JeffMo like this.
  19. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I use Apple Music on my iPhone and my general use MacBook. On my music server MacBook (2011) I have the sync settings off, my library is as it's always been and I can stream anything in Apple Music using the radio feature. Unfortunately the best it will stream is 16/256 AAC but it's fine for discovering new music.

pantofis likes this.
  20. BruceS

Not here to brag. Computer literate/tech background, which I sometimes miss being paid for. I believe the correct answer to the question is "No." I really do wonder what "normal"...er, I mean non-tech types do to get by.

JeffMo likes this.
  21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

@ZenArcher Inspired by your thread, I re-evaluated my local music + Apply Music library. I do have a single Mac mini that I use as a home server, with my local files on an attached 2TB SSD.

Over the past ~10 years, I have been using Logitech Media Server for 'audiophile' local streaming, and iTunes with select lossy files that I would sync to my iPhones/iPads. With Apple Music iCloud sync turned on, this did indeed wreck metadata, especially cover art. Since everything in my iTunes library was just lossy duplicates, it was annoying, but nothing was really harmed.

So I spent 2+ hours last night cleaning everything up, and this is my strategy going forward with a lossless FLAC library + Apple Music:

Local file playback (for serious listening): Example content - my needle drops, stuff not available or better mastering than Apple Music.
    • I'll continue to use LMS, hosted on a Mac mini, and streamed to a Logitech Transporter in my listening room.

On-the-go playback of local files: Example content - my needle drops, stuff not available or better mastering than Apple Music.
    • Plexamp (basically an iTunes substitute). I can store my own files on my iPhone, with my metadata, and can even add/stream files when I'm away from home from the Mac mini server.

At home or on-the-go playback of Apple Music: Example content - Apple Music radio stations, playlists, or content I haven't physically purchased.
    • I'll use iTunes/Apple Music app with iCloud Music Library to On - no local files in iTunes. On the go, it's via iPhone. At home, I can AirPlay to various receivers, Apple TVs, HomePods without much fuss.

Although technically I'm using three different interfaces, it's really not that cumbersome. Basically, "if I own it", I listen to it via Plex. If I don't own it, I go to the Apple Music app.

Beech and ZenArcher like this.