Can I use a UK turntable in Germany?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kurtphyre, Apr 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep Thread Starter

Any problem here? Both should be 220v. I imagine I'll need a UK to Germany adaptor for the end of the power cord .

2. torquerulesok

torquerulesok Forum Resident

No problem. Just swap the power cord or the plug or use an adapter and you’re good to go.

3. Bazzaah

Bazzaah Well-Known Member

I use loads of UK stuff here in the Netherlands, so my guess is you'll be ok.

4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

The general issue with turntables is not voltage. Voltage is easily converted. It's the frequency of the wave. The US uses 60 Hz and most of the world uses 50 Hz. The frequency will either speed up or slow the rotation of the platter. Reclocking the frequency isn't as easily done.

5. Angry_Panda

Angry_Panda Pipe as shown, slippers not pictured

Both are 50 Hz power as well, IIRC, so it doesn't seem like this would present an issue. Just remember to set the turntable on the other side of the amp - you may confuse someone used to left-hand drive turntables if they encounter a right-hand drive. ;)

Jimi Floyd, macster and McLover like this.
  6. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

I thought that the EU sort of standardised on 230 volts some years ago, but with fairly wide plus and minus limits. Certainly electrical equipment that is sold here is nominally 230 volts, despite the sockets in my house still providing well over 240 last time I measured it.

7. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

UK is 230/50hz & millions of UK turntables have been exported worldwide

ArneW likes this.
  8. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

If it is two wire without a ground pin it should be plug and play as the voltage and frequency should be the same in both countries 230v/ 50Hz

9. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

It's Australia -- or anywhere south of the equator -- that's a problem, due to the reverse coriolanus effect wrecking havoc with "Northie" turntables. That's why imported 'tables have to face the wall Down Under.

10. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Both countries are 50 Hz and 230V. The plug is of course different. You could rewire it to a German style euro or schuko one, but if you aren't sure about what the wires mean better stay on the safe side and get a travel adapter.

(Yes the EU standardised the voltages to 230V. Back in the day it used to be 220V in continental Europe and 240V in the UK, but even then the small difference was not a problem and you could use devices from each other's countries).

11. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

That would only be a problem with synchronous motors. There are many different designs for electrical motors, the first google search brings up DC ones for turntables. Those are not affected by the frequency at all. Besides many modern direct drive turntables are quartz controlled.

harby and TarnishedEars like this.
  12. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Bingo. This would only even potentially be an issue if the turntable uses an AC motor. If the Op should happen to be running something like a Technics 1200, then it couldn't care less what the line frequency is.

13. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep Thread Starter

I'm considering a Rega TT which has a "24v, synchronous AC motor." Would this be okay for use in Germany?

14. theprivateer

theprivateer Active Member

No problem if frequency is 50hz in both countries.

15. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Yes the rega will run fast in the uk & germany

vinnn likes this.
  16. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

I have done so without any problems. And the reverse when I got back to UK after 5 years.

The TT is about 30 years old now and still working fine.

17. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

But then you can only play in Germany the album "broken english" :D

18. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

On the plus side that makes it easier to play Led Zeppelin records backwards.

19. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I don’t know if this is a serious answer or a wicked burn towards Rega, whose turntables always run a bit too fast in their standard configuration :) but I like the subtlety of it.

Optimize likes this.
  20. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Where are you buying the turntable ? If in Germany, no problem. If in the UK, tell the dealer. It’s not a problem and I forget what Rega do, but some brands either supply European models or include an adaptor in the box (I think Cyrus does, but maybe not). May be worth checking the Rega website or asking them. But it is not a problem either way, I’ve taken UK decks with me when living in Europe, including Rega’s. Speed...like a Swiss clock :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.